The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 27, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
LukeA

Made this cleaning stand today

Copper's been building up in the bore of my 700. I use ammonia to dissolve the copper, so I can't do it inside because of the strong smell. After the first few hours, holding the barreled action by hand can become quite tiring, so today I took a few minutes to whip up a little stand that hangs over my basement door's block wall.

I just used some scrap 12mm plywood, a piece of maple, and a piece of clear pine, and I didn't really worry about squareness. It's just held together with screws right now. I will probably go back and glue the boards together as well. I drilled the holes such that the scope mounts don't take any of the rifle's weight.

Old March 27, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2
SIGSHR

Very interesting. Do you use a plug in the barrel to fill it completely and let chemistry do the hard work?
Old March 27, 2010, 02:40 PM   #3
LukeA

Yep. It's not really clear in the picture, but that plastic bag at the muzzle is rubber banded around the barrel to plug it. I just checked and it's leaking, but very slowly. At the rate it's going, it will take 6 or 7 hours for the chamber to empty, and it doesn't matter if there's any ammonia in there.
Old March 28, 2010, 06:37 PM   #4
twhidd

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:07 AM   #5
fhwiggins

How do you know when this needs to be done?

"Law abiding citizen" is not a synonym for "Sheep to the slaughter." CCW!
Old March 31, 2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Edward429451

(the voices tell you)

That's pretty nice. You didn't mention caliber but somehow I am thinkink it is a 22 bore in which case I found that the plugs for Bic pin tops fit well in 22 bores to seal it off
Old March 31, 2010, 01:07 PM   #7
kenno

You can get silicone rubber plugs through Brownells.
Old March 31, 2010, 01:26 PM   #8
HiBC

Maybe what you are doing is just fine,and maybe I do not have it right,but my understanding is:
Ammonia type bore cleaning solvents,(Sweets,etc) say on the instructions do not leave it in the bore more than 15 minutes or the steel may be etched.
I cannot give you science or tests,but "lore" says soaking for long periods of time with ammonia may damage your bore.
Old March 31, 2010, 08:45 PM   #9
LukeA

fhwiggins: It's pretty simple: the groups started getting bigger. I don't have a 'before' picture, but copper streaks were visible both in the grooves and on the lands when looking at the rifling at the muzzle.

HiBC: Before I did this, I polished a drill bit shank I had (high-carbon steel, similar to the barrel) and I put it in a cup full of ammonia, put the cup in a plastic bag and left it overnight. There was no evidence of etching or any effect on the steel whatsoever. It might be the other chemicals in those solutions that cause problems.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:38 AM   #10
HiBC

No disrespect intended,OP,but I asked the question "Is ammonia a good thing to use in bores over in the Smithy department..I am not about an arguement,its just good to discuss the other side before some bores get harmed.It is still a nice fixture!!