The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 15, 2012, 01:41 PM   #51
BlueTrain

You should have the hood of your car come open while going down the interstate, just to test your reactions! It happened to me.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 15, 2012, 01:47 PM   #52
Dragline45

Quote:
If you've ever been in a bike or car wreck, (or bodyboarding wipeout...), you might have experienced the phenomenon. Time doesn't change, and reaction speed doesn't miraculously increase, but the events from the first-person perspective seem to take painfully long.
+1, I have had a few close calls where I could have easily been killed and what happens in a matter of a few seconds seems like a lifetime. The strange thing is in each instance I expected myself to panic, but actually I stayed very calm and my mind was clearer than it ever had been before. I was able to make quick calculated decisions in a time where you would not expect yourself too. Until it happens to you it is tough to explain, very strange how the mind and body works. One of the instances I actually remember from 3rd party perspective, almost like an outer body experience... Crazy stuff
Old August 15, 2012, 02:10 PM   #53
Stressfire

Quote:
You should have the hood of your car come open while going down the interstate, just to test your reactions! It happened to me.
How about someone driving up an exit ramp and entering the wrong side of a freeway....forced car into a skid so it wouldn't be a head-on collision, seemed like it took forever for him to hit me even though it was only a second or two
Old August 15, 2012, 05:00 PM   #54
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Been there, done that. It wasn't a memory of "time compression," I noticed it at the time it was happening. Didn't give me super-human powers to correct the problem (not a lot to do when ballistic, and still attached to the bike in mid-air; nor when one's car is spinning down the interstate after catching the shoulder when avoiding another car's sudden wreck), but I was amazed at all the things I was noticing as my control of events went away completely.
And they say the hand is quicker than the eye, LOL.

Neat free fall study involving high stress/fear and time dilation.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ain-stops-time

Turns out, things participants could not see that happened too fast in normal life also happened too fast in high stress time dilation life. Certainly things may get noticed more than others, but that is a product of selective attention or inattentional blindness. Pax posted on this sometime back. Here are fun tests...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMLqRcsCPik

So yeah, the brain gets really busy. It is like your old 486 computer trying to run with 20 windows open at the same time. Some it won't run at all. Those are things shut down temporarily as more necessary things occur.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:20 PM   #55
doc540

couple more comments:

He was carrying a Taurus 709 Slim in an IWB in a kidney location.

After they confiscated his gun, I loaned him my CM9.

All three local news stations gave it positive coverage.

When the perp stepped/fell backwards he was still holding a shotgun, so there will be no "shot will retreating" issue.

My friend's in a good frame of mind. Spent a couple hours with him yesterday.
Old August 15, 2012, 06:55 PM   #56
Joe_Pike

Quote:
He said he not only didn't use his sights, he doesn't remember any loud noise or recoil.
I've had a couple of attempted break-ins at my my house in the last few months that I've posted about. I've never had to deal with anything like that before, so, during the first one there was a huge adrenaline dump. I had what I would call tunnel vision as I was focusing on what I needed to do. I didn't have to shoot but if I would have I don't think I would have heard it. It wasn't like my hearing was gone, but it was somewhat "focused" for lack of a better description. I was hoarse the next day for some reason. Maybe I was yelling at the 911 operastor.

I didn't have an adrenaline dump the next time, though, as I was a bit irritated that it was happening again.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:54 PM   #57
Webleymkv

I'm glad to hear that your friend is OK. I'm also glad to hear that the robber survived the encounter though not because I'm particularly concerned about him. The reason that I'm glad the robber survived is so that your friend doesn't have to carry the burden of taking another human life on his conscience (even in cases which were completely justified, some people never completely get over having to kill someone else).
Old August 15, 2012, 09:06 PM   #58
Dr_Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
bookert, there's a difference between actual elapsed time changing, and the perception of elapsed time changing.

If you've ever been in a bike or car wreck, (or bodyboarding wipeout...), you might have experienced the phenomenon. Time doesn't change, and reaction speed doesn't miraculously increase, but the events from the first-person perspective seem to take painfully long.

As in, "Oh, this is really going to OUCH!!! hurt; here comes the ground a- OOOF!! -gain; I hope I don't break my AAAARGH!!! neck...)

Been there, done that. It wasn't a memory of "time compression," I noticed it at the time it was happening. Didn't give me super-human powers to correct the problem (not a lot to do when ballistic, and still attached to the bike in mid-air; nor when one's car is spinning down the interstate after catching the shoulder when avoiding another car's sudden wreck), but I was amazed at all the things I was noticing as my control of events went away completely.
Its adrenalin. I saw a thing about it on Science or Discovery. It acts like a "drug" and your senses are heightened which makes time feel like its slowing down...but you're just more aware.

Great job by the OP's friend.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:55 AM   #59
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
All three local news stations gave it positive coverage.
And you haven't shared a single link?
Old August 16, 2012, 09:11 AM   #60
booker_t

Wow, I didn't know this board was full of medical doctors and PhD research scientists. Good to know.
Old August 16, 2012, 09:49 AM   #61
doc540

http://www.kiiitv.com/story/19253451...not-successful

http://www.kfdm.com/shared/news/top-...vid_1783.shtml

That's how these things are covered in SETX.
Old August 16, 2012, 03:53 PM   #62
doc540

One MILLION dollar bond!

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ne...in-3783003.php
Old August 17, 2012, 06:20 AM   #63
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
That's how these things are covered in SETX.
Nice!

And thanks.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:57 AM   #64
thecelt

Great story, glad your friend is ok.
Old August 18, 2012, 03:14 PM   #65
richardcorey

Once more in the game of Life it's CCW 1 and BG 0. Give your friend a hearty hand shake and I'm glad he's the one who goes home to the family. Nuff Said.
LISTEN!!!
Old August 18, 2012, 04:19 PM   #66
9mm

Quote:
Ruger 709 Slim
When did Ruger started to make Taurus products?

Quote:
I cant see!

Quote:
He was carrying a Taurus 709 Slim in an IWB in a kidney location.

After they confiscated his gun, I loaned him my CM9.
This is his only gun? new gun owner?
Old August 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #67
doc540

It was his only handgun small enough to conceal carry.

The others are full-size for home and business.
Old August 23, 2012, 01:53 PM   #68
Double Naught Spy

Unless his full size guns are .500 S&Ws, .50 AE Desert Eagle, or the like, then your friend may not understand about how to conceal carry. There is no reason a typical fullsized handgun cannot be concealed carried.
Old August 23, 2012, 02:12 PM   #69
Strafer Gott

Impressive bit of work. Just clearing your piece while sitting in a car must be pre-planned, or it can be a real pita. Perfect practice makes perfect. Where do they keep finding these fine young scoundrels?
Old August 23, 2012, 04:04 PM   #70
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

MLeake speaks truth about the slow-mo time frame... Lemme expound a tiny bit of REAL LIFE... While I had time to make MANY thoughts from time I heard tires screeching 120 feet behind me... Including the BLUE EYES of the gal waiting to leave the subdivision I was trying to turn left into...

DEPTH PERCEPTION REQUIRES REAL TIME EVALUATION...

As I was laying on my back run slap over by what I saw screeching up on me, i was UNABLE to determine a cognizant DEPTH to my FIELD OF VIEW... I had to ask my dad... "Was it a white Ford truck or white Ford VAN that hit me..." Back in the 1989 days... You had to know how close the two looked or determine DEPTH.... I had thought "GOOSE IT AND RUN HELL BENT FOR LEATHER" heck "YOUR MUFFLERS ARE CLOGGED IT WILL STALL OR CHUG... JUST BALE"... etc...

Last thought before impact? Left ankle on seat and right hand on throttle/grip... "When I get up I am gonna whoop this feller's butt for smashing my bike..."

Not a shooting incident but SUPER HIGH SPEED SITUATION....

Brent
Old August 23, 2012, 11:19 PM   #71
357autoloader

My EDC is a Glock 31, conceals quite nicely and I like to think that maybe that perp wouldnt have got up and ran away after being shot through the hip with it.

Now, I said "I like to think" so let's please not start a caliber war.
Old August 24, 2012, 01:00 PM   #72
doc540

"Unless his full size guns are .500 S&Ws, .50 AE Desert Eagle, or the like, then your friend may not understand about how to conceal carry. There is no reason a typical fullsized handgun cannot be concealed carried."

Well, you know what they say about the word "assume".

He seemed to understand enough to disarm and shoot a perp who had him dead to rights with a shotgun in his face.

He didn't have another gun for his IWB compact holster, so the easy fix was for me to loan him my Kahr CM9.
Old August 24, 2012, 01:06 PM   #73
RedBowTies88

GOOD JOB BY YOU FRIEND!

Glad to hear he's going home to his family in 1 piece. Thank god this happened in a free state. I cringe at the though of what would of happened if that had happened here.
Old August 28, 2012, 03:15 AM   #74
Brit

The "Time slowing down" it happened a couple of times to me, the most remembered one, like it was yesterday (1968 St Helens Lancs, UK.)

A fight I was in, out with my Wife (now Ex, who got me into said fight) the sound of my shoes squeaking on the tile floor, one of the four individuals was starting to stand, from a booth, in an Indian Restaurant.
He was in slow motion, his fists were coming up, mouth starting to open, all in slow motion.

I seemed to have all kinds of time to kick him in the chest. It was like a set piece in a movie, too long of an incident to recount here, I was not frightened, and had for ever to deal with 4 young Yobs (I was 33 YOA) they early 20s?

The two responding Constables gave good advice (on finding more Indian's in Liverpool, 8 miles away) probably took 2 minutes, start to finish.

Driving away, adrenalin kicked in, right thigh muscle went nuts!

Your friend did well, I bet that was a 15 second fight! If that. You are a good guy to replace his 9mm with a 9mm.