The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 23, 2011, 11:38 AM   #51
BrittB

A few questions have come to mind since reading the SASS rules. One is, are there any classes that you only need one pistol in and the other is, if your going to shoot in Long Range matches, do you also have to shoot in all the other categories too or can you just shoot in Long Range only and leave the other guns at home?
Old July 23, 2011, 11:49 AM   #52
ZVP

Slo me...

How do ya do it so fast?
I load with the cylinder on the gun and working fast as is safe, it still takes a while!
Loading Powder and Ball is pretty quick I use Wads over the powder too, but capping always goes slow for me. I pinch all my caps just to be sure.
I know, Pratice, Pratice!
ZVP
Old July 23, 2011, 01:45 PM   #53
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar
I got interested in CAS as a place to shoot my cap and ball guns, but nobody else is shooting cap and ball at my local club and they move too fast for me to do anything but load and shoot all day.
Don't worry about taking all the time you need Delmar. Whan I started shooting a pair of '51 Navies 8 or 9 years ago, it took me a while to recharge cylinders too. No one on your posse will hold it against you, and if they do, find another posse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittB
are there any classes that you only need one pistol in
There are no SASS categories that only require 1 pistol. NCOWS has a category called Working Cowboy that only uses one pistol and pistol caliber rifls. No shotgun. There is also a Range Detective category used by some CAS clubs that uses two pistols and the rifle - again, no shotgun. Some SASS clubs allow more than the normal SASS categories at their monthly matches. You'd have to check with individual clubs to see if they allow non-standard categoriesMy local club allows a military category using Span Am weapons (Krag & double action revolver) as well as Wild Bunch (.45 Auto) and a variation of Working Cowboy (1 pistol, rifle and shotgun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittB
if your going to shoot in Long Range matches, do you also have to shoot in all the other categories too or can you just shoot in Long Range only and leave the other guns at home?
Long range rifle is generally just a side match, as part of a larger match. You would have to be registered for the main match in order to be able to shoot the long range side match.

You would pick a category to shoot in and shoot in that category for the entire match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVP
I know, Pratice, Pratice!
Or shoot a lot of matches.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 23, 2011, 02:18 PM   #54
Navy joe

I've never shot CAS. The 3 gun requirement slows me down. I shoot 3 gun, but I alrady own tacticool rifles. The gamers kill the sport too I think. At least in USPSA there are divisions where you can compete for $500. There are power factors to make box ammo viable. The shooting does not seem very challenging either. Some may cuss, but I like seing a 30yd US popper (half size) and 25 yd head shots at an USPSA match.
Old July 23, 2011, 04:05 PM   #55
Hellgate

Delmar,
I (almost) exclusively shoot C&Bs (since 1993) in CAS. After a short while you develop a routine. I charge my pistols at the unloading table and get to do posse duties and meet other shooters while I'm loading and they are unloading. I am pretty anal (laying out 10 balls, 10 wads, grease syringe, nipple pick, etc. on the open lid of my ammo/shoot box). So I don't dry ball a chamber I visually inspect each chamber for powder before wadding. I occasionally am handed the timer as well as doing a lot of spotting. If you are unavailable to do posse duties due to loading, it's no big deal. People cut the C&Bers a lot of slack. I think there is a big sympathy factor. After a while you will develop a technique that will make the perCUSSIN' revolvers sing.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 23, 2011, 05:20 PM   #56
kwhi43

I have seen a drop off in attendence in our Muzzleloading Shoots. Both on
a local level and National. Use to back in the early to mid 70's we would
get 50 people to our monthy shoots. Now we get mebby 15. At our 3-day
shoots we would get 70-90 shooters. Now mebby 30. Nationaly we used to
have about 24,000 members. Now it's about 17,000. Those 7,000 have gone
somewhere. Lots have died. Every month in the "Muzzle Blast" magizine I see
about six who have died in the past month. This is every month! We are not
getting six to replace them. I really hate
to see what this sport will be in say 20
years. I probably won't be around much longer myself. I'm over 68 now. I don't want to admit it but I think we are in a dieing hobby. I think I have seen
the best of Muzzleloading. I was in it back in the late 60's on. I wouldn't trade
it for anything. I'm in for the long haul. We go to the Nationals each year at
Friendship Indiana, and will continue to do so as long as my wife and I can
drive. Got a 13 year old daughter who will have her license in three years.
Mebby she can drive a couple of old folks. God Bless
Phil

Last edited by kwhi43; July 23, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:15 PM   #57
sltm1

Yo, [email protected], I agree, the volume of participant's has descreased dramatically in the last 10 years, however, I DO see an increase of young folks taking up the sport here in Idaho. I think it's because there is a Muzzleloading season for deer and elk so they're aware of the process. These youngin's, (me bein' the ancient age of 62), have discoverded that there are clubs that shoot ML's exclusively and because of that are being introduced to the history of the gun's, (plus they get to shoot often and it's not too expensive), instead of just looking for another way to extend the hunting season, they are using period correct guns and contributing to the sport by doing the grunt work and I think we may be seeing a resurgence of interest in the sport, at least locally. Keep the faith, it may work it's way over to your neck of the woods faster than you think!!