The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 2008, 01:10 AM   #1
bryceh12321

Question...

I'm going to be getting a 300 Mag. Here's the choices....

http://www.specialtysportsandsupply.com/2354.html
(Savage Arms 10 / 110 FP Tactical 300 Win Mag 24" Matte Blue)

or

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...iew?model=7849
(Ruger M77® Mark II · All-Weather)

I like the Ruger becuase of that stainless steel barrel, but it doesn't have the heavey barrel, or the extra sling mount for a bipod like the Savage. My question is....

Is it really that important to have a heavy barrel shooting farther downrange? If I wait 5 mins. between shots will it make any difference? Does a heavy barrel affect the first shot, before the barrel is even hot? Thanks.
Old December 12, 2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Scorch

I prefer the Ruger.

The heavier barrel will make all your shots more consistent.
Old December 12, 2008, 03:51 PM   #3
taylorce1

Either one will be a good choice I feel, just find the one you like the feel of the best. Go to a shop that has both and shoulder them. The rifle that feels the best too you would be the one I'd go with. I'm sure both will be plenty accurate.

Now for another question and I might have missed it in your other posts. Have you ever fired a centerfire cartridge before? If you haven't you might want to think about not jumping in with a .300 Win Mag as your rifle of choice.

Last edited by taylorce1; December 12, 2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old December 12, 2008, 06:06 PM   #4
johnnypi45

Either one would be a fine choice, in honesty.

However, i recently did business with specialty sports (i bought an r-25), and can't say enough good things about the store. They even mounted and bore sighted a scope on my rifle free of charge. Hope this helps some!

Petey
Old December 12, 2008, 07:53 PM   #5
bryceh12321

haha

PHP Code:
No for another question and I might have missed it in your other postsHave you ever fired a centerfire cartridge before? If you haven't you might want to think about not jumping in with a .300 Win Mag as your rifle of choice. 
Have I ever what! hahaha. Thats funny.
Old December 12, 2008, 11:12 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
I've had a .17HMR for about a year in Savage.
From all the post I've read of yours the only thing you have experience with is this rifle so my question was a very valid one. Going from a .17HRM to a .300 Win Mag, be ready for a rude awakening. Plus if you don't know the difference between a center fire cartridge and rim fire one you really don't have any business shooting a .300 Win Mag. So maybe it is time to get your nose out of those ballistic charts and get to the range to find out what your tolerance is for a higher power rifle cartridge.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:16 AM   #7
kristop64089

Bryce, no disrespect intended, but I'm with taylorce1.
From reading ALL of your threads here, you have started from looking for advice on a 400yd gun, to deciding on a 25-06, going thru a "best rifle" poll, and re-deciding on 300 winmag.

What is your intended use for the gun?
If you looking for long range shooting, why not 22-250?
how about decent power with good range, and run .308, or 30-06?

If your familiar with the 300, then this is all moot. From reading your posts, itdoesn't sound like you are. 300 is a big cartridge, with a helluva thump. Hate to see ya get discouraged....that being said, Go with the Savage. I'm personally not a Ruger fan. I've had issues with accuracy. IMO Savage builds a better gun.

Tags
300 , barrel , heavy , mag , win