The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 3, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
rbf420

Replacing recoil spring in beretta 92fs

have a question...

i know ive shot well past the recoil spring life in my 92fs and need to replace soon... does anyone know how many pounds the recoil spring is stock or the recomended weight?... i shoot slightly light rounds and want to make sure they still function in it, but will also shoot the occasional hot ones and dont want to put extra wear on the gun with a too light a spring.... i just am not sure how many pounds to get... is there a middle ground? thanks for the help.
Old February 3, 2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Mike38

According to Wolff’s web site, a factory standard recoil spring is 14 Lb. for a 92FS. I shoot both factory ammo and “slightly less then” reloads and it works fine.

Thanks for the reminder, I also need to replace mine soon.
Old February 3, 2011, 05:54 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just out of curiosity, what is "well past the spring life" in terms of rounds of ammunition? And what signs do you see that indicates the spring is past its service life?

Jim
Old February 3, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
kraigwy

Is there something special about the Beretta springs? Something I need to know? I have two 1911s (USGI and Series 70 Gold Cup), both have thousands of rounds without having to change the springs, without flaw.

I just got a FS to train up for something that may becoming and I'd like to know if I should get new spring for my up coming position and I'm gonna want a gun that works.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 3, 2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Noreaster

Beretta recommends changing out some parts at 5,000 to 10,000 rounds. It's about $11.00 for the parts. The recoil spring was one of them. I know if it's longer or shorter or bent you replace it, but you probably don't have anything to compare it to. Hope this helps.
Old February 3, 2011, 09:30 PM   #6
AustinTX

The 14-lb. spring is for the Centurion. The 13-lb. spring is standard for the 92FS.
Old February 3, 2011, 11:47 PM   #7
rbf420

ive put about 6,000 rounds down it and today i could feel a difference in the way the fire arm was acting, so im thinking its the recoil spring
Old February 4, 2011, 12:00 AM   #8
AustinTX

Time to replace it for sure. They should be replaced every 4-5,000 rounds in the 92. I replace mine every 3,000 or so. Springs are super cheap, and guns will beat themselves to hell if they're shot for long on worn-out recoil springs.
Old February 4, 2011, 03:30 PM   #9
priler

as a general rule,i like to replace recoil springs at about the 5k rd count unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise and i have a full understanding of why they state that and agree with it,...or,if i note a reason to change before that regardless of who says what.

here's a good way to notice if the recoil spring has gone way past it's time:

with a totally broken in pistol that's been working fine and of course totally unloaded,hold it in one hand and point the muzzle straight up so that the slide is perfectly perpendicular with the floor.then,rack the slide all the way back and hold it there while keeping the pistol firmly in it's orientation. do not release the slide,but instead very slowly and without putting any forward pressure on the slide with your hand/fingers,allow it to go forward(up) until it comes to a complete stop on it's own and then take your fingers off the slide without disturbing the slide.

if the slide went fully into battery(all the way forward/up),then at least you know that it should give you a certain amount of reliable service from a functional point of view.it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed,just that it should give you functionality.you can also judge how much pressure it's keeping the slide in battery with so you don't get too much "bounce".

this is meant as a general guide and NOT as an excuse to not replace the spring or maintain your pistol properly.it's very important for the recoil spring to give the correct amount of pressure on your "short recoil,locked breach" pistol. the spring is what's maintaining that "locked".

Last edited by priler; February 4, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old February 19, 2011, 08:05 PM   #10
AustinTX

I think that test would possibly have a lot less value with the 92 than with other semi-autos, given that the locking block/non-tilting barrel of the Beretta doesn't provide much resistance against going into battery. A badly overused spring would continue to let the Beretta go into battery a lot longer than one would on a semi-auto that locked the breech with a tilting-barrel action.