The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 4, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
False Dmitri

Remington 870 Express exteng mag field strip help?

Remington 870 Express with extended magazine take-down and/or field strip help?

Only able to find one video on the web showing the take-down of an 870n extended tube. My main problem is that I can not get the magazine cap to unscrew (perhaps tightened too when installed by the FFL before I bought the gun?.
Does the mag cap the only part the screws loose and removes the extended mag to also be release or do both the extended mag tube also get turned with the map cap in order to remove both?

Thanks for any help and advise would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 4, 2010, 10:36 AM   #2
ScottRiqui

One my 870, there's a band that encircles both the barrel and the magazine extension. That had to be loosened with a screwdriver before the extension would turn freely to unscrew.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:44 PM   #3
False Dmitri

Thanks for the input. I wondered about the band that holds the bbl to the mag tube. In the end of the extended mag (past the mag cap and the connection bar mentioned earlies), there is a hole recessed in the end. Does this also need to be loosen as well?

I'm not trying to ask silly questions, but the manual was very generic about all 870s. I called the FFL I bought it from, and he mentioned they have put locktite on the mag cap! Wasn't glad to hear that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem870.jpg (31.4 KB, 396 views)
Old May 4, 2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The factory extension is a two piece design.
To disassemble:

Unscrew and remove the screw in the barrel clamp, then slide the clamp off the gun.

Unscrew the magazine tube from the collar.
NOTE: When the extension tube unscrews, the magazine spring is going to force it's way out with GREAT FORCE, use glasses.
What I do is keep a strong grip on the tube and keep it under control as it unscrews the last thread. Ease it up until you can get your fingers between the tube and the grooved collar and grip the spring.
Ease the tube off and allow the magazine spring to escape a little at a time.
It's LONG and STRONG, be careful to control it.

With the tube off and the spring out, unscrew the grooved collar from the front of the gun's magazine tube.
NOTE: These are coming out of the factory so tight you may need to use a small strap wrench or padded pliers.
If you scratch or damage the collar, call Remington and complain. They'll send you a new one.

The rest of disassembly follows the manual for standard guns.

To reassemble:
Install the barrel.
Screw the grooved collar on finger snug then give it ONE more "click". It needs to be in firm contact with the barrel support ring.
You should be able to remove the collar with just your fingers.

Install the magazine spring then slip the extension tube on and screw it into the collar until the extension tube JUST contacts the gun's magazine tube.
If you screw the extension on too tight, the extension and the gun's magazine may mis-align from pressure.
Screw it on too loose and there'll be a gap between the tubes.
Too tight or too loose and the shells or follower may jam.

Slip the barrel clamp on and install the screw. Don't over tighten the screw. It should be snug enough to stay put.
Old May 5, 2010, 08:48 AM   #5
False Dmitri

Thanks again! Your help made it easy to take Amyoshka apart and clean her up.