The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 16, 2016, 07:48 PM   #1
FrankieJames7

I Want a Higher Cheekrest

on a Winchester model 70 .338 so it is a long action. I am thinking of getting a new stock for it, the stock on it now is well, stock lol. who makes the best stocks for snugging down the action extremely tight? i do not want a wood stock, and also want to know how much a stock upgrade for a high quality accuracy based stock would cost.

for now, is there any way i could comfortably raise the cheekrest on my rifle? i need maybe a half inch more rise.

the scope can come down less than a half inch more if i get a shorter in height picatinny base and new rings, but that's about 200 bucks and will have to wait. if a new stock costs more than a set of rings and a base maybe i will lower the scope but i also want an extremely well held down gun in the stock. how good is the factory winchester 70 synthetic stocks?
Old January 17, 2016, 11:07 AM   #2
taylorce1

Is weight a consideration for you? There are several new stock options for you and your rifle. Since you want a higher cheek rest I'd look at Monte Carlo style stocks. MPI gunstocks has unfinished synthetic stocks that will require a little work to get them to fit to your rifle, but they are more budget friendly. Manners and McMillan are a finished product and they run $500-700, but your rifle drops right in the stocks and only need skim bedding if you want to.

Just go to Midway USA and search cheek rest and you can find several models that'll attach to your current stock. They usually run less than $20 not including shipping, and will raise your cheek weld ½-1". So this is the most cost effective way to get what you want.
Old January 17, 2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Cowboy_mo

Check this out.

http://www.basspro.com/Beartooth-Com...product/22034/

Beartooth Comb raising kit. Can raise height up to 5/8". I have used one of these on a shotgun for several years and it works. great. They come in black if you want to look tacticool or camo if you want it for hunting. They run about $24 plus shipping from BP or you can giggle Beartooth comb raising kit and find dozens of places to buy it.
Old January 17, 2016, 11:29 AM   #4
bedlamite

http://www.graco-corp.com/t/adjustable-comb-hardware

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod6722.aspx
Old January 17, 2016, 12:06 PM   #5
cw308

Go on line, Proper Cheekweld there's good reading & video's. I shoot benchrest With a Rem.700 308 cal. The rifle has a HS Precision stock, my scope is mounted as low as possible, I still had to raise my cheekweld slightly. Try some foam taped in place to see the difference before you go for a permanent set up. When positioning remember cleaning & bolt removal. I installed a permanent hard black plastic cheekweld, fits across the top of the stock with center screw which I also glass bedded, filed a grove down the center for cleaning, works great, glade I did it. Comfort & sight picture very important for accuracy. Your rifle should be set up for you. I didn't like the wrap around types. Good talking to you, hope I helped. Found it on MidwayUSA product #118989 $11.99 Choate Ultimate Sniper & Varmint stock cheek rest Standard.

Last edited by cw308; January 17, 2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old January 18, 2016, 12:15 AM   #6
idek

I've got three of the Beartooth kits recommended by Cowboy_mo.

Also have one of these: http://www.accu-riser.com/accu-riser...aiser-cr-6000/

A nice thing about both is that they are inexpensive and neither alters your stock permanently. You could leave them on all the time, but they can also serve as a nice means of finding the best comb height for you prior to making permanent alterations or buying an expensive stock. Also, both are lightweight and don't alter the gun's balance much.

The Beartooth kit uses foam inserts, so it also adds some cushion in regard to cheek slap. Never used one on a .338, but have used one on a 12 gauge shooting slugs. The inserts can be stacked, so even though the thickest is 5/8", it can be combined with others to go higher. It also stays put pretty well. Main drawback for me is that it can make the top of the comb feel thick and blocky.

The Accu-riser has fewer height options, provides less (but still some) cushion, and won't stay put as well without double sided tape or something, but its tapered shape feels more like a typical comb (and it can be screwed down as a permanent addition to the stock).

Last edited by idek; January 18, 2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old January 18, 2016, 02:31 AM   #7
Scorch

Go to McMillan stocks or Manners stocks. You can buy a drop in stock for your Model 70 with the features you want.