The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2012, 09:07 AM   #1
amathis

9mm Short Barrel

I have a good predicament to be in. My wife, as soon as she saw it in the magazines, asked me for a Beretta Nano. Unfortunately it took me 4 months to get due to the gun shops not getting it in and the distributors jerking several gun shops in my state around. Nevertheless, I finally got it and we took it out yesterday. We put probably 100 rounds through it.

My issue is that when I broke it down to clean it I found what I considered excessive amounts of unburnt powder. I am looking to find a suggestion for a faster burning powder to use in this 3 inch barreled 9mm.
Old January 8, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Crankgrinder

The Lyman 49th book lists for 120 gr#2 alloy 3.4 to 4.2 gr of bullseye powder and 3.0 to 3.9 gr of red dot for the same bullet. also 3.5 to 4.8 gr bullseye for jhp and 4.4 to 5.8 unique powder also jhp
Old January 8, 2012, 01:14 PM   #3
amathis

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently using HS6 for most of my handgun loads but I'm open to picking up some new powders.
Old January 8, 2012, 01:18 PM   #4
spacecoast

Both HS-6 and Unique would be considered medium burn rate powders. You might want to look for some loads using something like Bullseye or Titegroup.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
Old January 8, 2012, 04:38 PM   #5
jepp2

The 9mm can be very sensitive to changes in bullet seating depth affecting peak pressure.

If you loaded your rounds to a longer OAL than the load was developed with, the peak pressure could be considerable less. Lower pressure can result in unburnt powder in some types. So you might consider making some changes in either load or OAL before you change powders.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:03 PM   #6
5R milspec

I have a EMP in a 9mm that is only a 1/2 inch longer and like to use HP38.it not only burns clean it all so burns 100% I even load my loads a little long for this pistol.I cannot say right now to what the OAL is but it's longer than a SAAMI load.

my load is with a 124gn XTP and 4.8gn's of HP38.again I cannot at this momment say what the OAL is.
Old January 10, 2012, 09:08 AM   #7
kalevatom

I would look at shortening your OAL. My 9mm's are short barrels. I load at 1.135 and use WSF. Very clean.