The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 16, 2009, 05:00 PM   #26
ZeroJunk

They can be quite deadly. My cousin once shot me with one and I almost killed him.
Old October 16, 2009, 05:00 PM   #27
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Not a problem and you won't need a scope or a back up weapon. Get some Shotgun shells with HEVI-shot in them and use them instead of BB's. Your effective range will be 600 yards and the fine sights on your Red Ryder should be more than adequate for the task. Just be sure to make it a head shot or a heart shot because a shoulder shot will be so devastating that most of the meat on that side of the animal will be ruined along with a good percentage of the meat on the offside. I would suggest switching to moose or elk size game because a normal doe or a small buck would be completely devastated by such a powerful projectile.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 16, 2009, 05:04 PM   #28
fisherman66

Deja Vu?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ight=red+ryder
Old October 16, 2009, 05:10 PM   #29
ZeroJunk

My ex girl freind was so ugly that she just looked at the deer and it killed them.

But, it tore up too much meat.
Old October 16, 2009, 05:12 PM   #30
StiveC2007

I don't know about you guys but I like to caked myself in mud and pounce on the deer and take it out with my trusted wooden toothpick sharpend to a razor point, No need for that RR its def. an overkill, on the weapon part.
Old October 16, 2009, 05:15 PM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When you are as good as me ya'll can 'neek up on 'em and... Tap him on the butt, grab his tail, pull down and strike him with an open finger blow and reach in and remove his heart in one piece ready to cook as he looks on in fear!
Brent
Old October 16, 2009, 05:22 PM   #32
foggy

Allot of people think you need a .300 win mag for dear but it is all shot placement. IMO if you can't hit what you're aiming at the caliber is pointless. Just keep you shots under 150 yards with some privi soft point ammo and the red rider will do just fine.

Edit: You may also want to invest in a good hunting knife like the Ka-bar just in case you have to finish it off.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:14 PM   #33
wild willy

After some glass bedding and trigger work you should be able to shoot 1/8 inch groups all day long at 200yds I know this is barely accurate enough but if you limit your shots to less than 40yds I think you will be OK you might want to check into some bonded BBs
Old October 16, 2009, 08:58 PM   #34
lizziedog1

You mention a 650 round magazine. First off, some states might frown on that, after all, 650 is more then 10. Second, all those BB's make one heck of a rattling noise. You will need to practice your calling skills. A tree stand might be to your benefit.

If not, try one of the air-soft guns. The ammo is much quieter. Make sure to get the camo-colored pellets though. The bright colored ones might spook the deer before they are in range.
Old October 17, 2009, 03:28 AM   #35
CajunBass

Just remember. It's a RED Ryder you want.

Not the Pink one. People will think you're weird if you carry a pink one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 17, 2009, 04:39 AM   #36
darkgael

BB?

Back up?
Quote:
It is a wrist-rocket.
Should be your primary. Marbles are the way to go - red ones - though maybe a bit heavy for deer.
Pete
Old October 17, 2009, 05:37 AM   #37
wpcexpert

I put down the weapons for deer some time ago. Now, I lure the deer to within 5 feet from my treestand, then jump out and spinning roundhouse kick to the jejunum. While they are vomiting from the initial blow, I heel strike them in the spine.

But hey, a Red Rider is a fine weapon too. Should work out real well.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 17, 2009, 05:56 AM   #38
shortwave

Careful your deer are not wise to the fact that(for some reason un-known to man) the BB shot from a Red Ryder will not penetrate Levi material at point blank range. When we were kids,my brother proved this by catching me bent over reloading. Stuck his barrel on my butt check and shot me. The result was a nice welp on my butt, a bent barrel on my BB gun and a trip to the hospital to get stitchs in brothers head. Warning: Although they are an effective club, Barrels on a Red Ryder`s bend easy. Some 40 years later we still joke each other about it. How did mom and dad survive us 5 kids? Moral of the story: Make sure your deer aren`t wearing Levi`s or your in for a big fight!
Old October 17, 2009, 06:24 AM   #39
Rigby1962

Finally someone with a sense of sporting. Do you plan on stalking or sitting in a stand.
Old October 17, 2009, 10:36 AM   #40
Edward429451

If you do not take head shots only with the Red Ryder on deer, then you are being an irresponsible hunter.
Old October 17, 2009, 11:38 PM   #41
Fred Rogers

Strap a bayonet to it, and fire it out of a longbow.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:01 AM   #42
ninjatoth

LOL,this sounds just like a serious argument I have heard from a 10 year old.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:22 AM   #43
Lawyer Daggit

Are you planning on shooting a Whitetail or are you just going to hang out for a fawn at short range?

Seriously, air guns are limited in their power, a high powered spring gun may give a .177 slug 100 foot per second of velocity which equates to 12 foot pounds of energy- enough for a carefully brain shot rabbit at low range. Your Red Ryder would have a velocity well below this, being a short child size rifle, rather than a large man size one with man size springs.

Don't even try it. You will wound an animal in a way that will see you anointed a cruel idiot by the media and probably be prosecuted for cruelty and bring shooters further into disrepute.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:00 AM   #44
ninjatoth

It has enough power for whitetail,or Buffalo,or any game in north america for that matter.But don't dismiss it's power for home defense either.It's fast follow up shots means you can stop 3-4 bad guys at the same time.Be careful where you shoot though,because it will penetrate armor and the bb will travel at least 5 miles.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:53 AM   #45
davlandrum

I actually had a serious discussion with a young man in Portland. At one of the parks, they had archery targets set up and a friend and I were shooting our hunting bows.

He had to come show us his knife and how well he could throw it. Honestly and emphatically believed he could kill a deer with it...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 19, 2009, 10:57 AM   #46
sasquatch

As we all know........caliber really isn't all that important........shot placement is the key.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:59 AM   #47
2damnold4this

Unicorns and other similarly sized game are regularly taken with Red Ryders so a whitetail should be no problem.
Old October 19, 2009, 03:38 PM   #48
ninjatoth

If you can't afford a quality deer rifle as good a Red Ryder,then go for the Daisy Buck rifle.It is pretty much the same thing,but less expensive.You should spend a little money on a good scope for it too,at least a 25X 50 mm or better,you will need it for those 300+ yard kill shots.And for wrist rockets as a backup,I reccommend one with a sight and high velocity band,and at least 50 caliber round balls.50 caliber should down your bigger game such as brown bear,buffalo and elk,but for blackbear and whitetail deer,stick with the Red Ryder or Buck.
Old October 19, 2009, 04:10 PM   #49
Colmac

Not being a deer hunter myself, but having had considerable experience with BB guns in my wayward youth, I'd suggest the greatest threat posed to a deer (that being any deer) when confronted by a Red Ryder BB gun toting deer hunter, at any range, lead or gold coated steel loads notwithstanding, would be death by asphyxiation - from laughing.

Without some people, wouldn't the world be a boring place!!
Old October 20, 2009, 05:45 PM   #50
cornbush

I prefer to jump onto their back from an over hanging branch, once you re on grab hold of the throat and squeeze! You wont get any damaged meat, and best of all you dont have to track 'em either. Wear gloves and work on your grip though, my hand got cramped up on me one time and I got thrown, had to walk all the way to the gate on the enclosure with everyone laughing.