The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Kalisperas

Bersa slide catching

My father just bought a used Bersa .380 in a private sale, and when we went out to try it we found there was a problem. After every round the slide was locking back, and to chamber the next round we had to slap the back of the slide. It extracts the rounds fine, but sticks until you knock it back forward.

We took it home, thinking it might just need a cleaning, but we can't get it apart. It seems the slide isn't cycling all the way back, it's catching on something and sticking.

My father bought it from a local doctor who he knows, and according to the doctor he's put quite a few rounds through it with no issues before, and has dismantled it in the past for cleaning, but it's been a few months since he last shot it.

The local gunsmith is on vacation for the next two weeks, so I was hoping someone here might be able to give me an idea what's going on.

Here's a picture of where the slide is sticking. It locks tight there, just short of the slide stop, and I can't pull it any further. Any ideas?

Last edited by Kalisperas; June 11, 2008 at 04:03 PM.