The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 18, 2015, 04:39 PM   #1
PatientWolf

Bad 1894C decision

I was at the local Cabelas Grand Opening Thursday and fought through the crowds back to the gun counter. The on the rack with a glowing luminescence around it was a new Marlin 1894C for 599.99. I didn't have that much cash on me and don't normally consider layaway as a choice of reason. That combined with the mile and a half line to the checkout and the fact that I was on a lunch break lead me to the decision to leave the store. I went back today and while there were still several 1894's in .44 no 1894C's were to be found.

Now my backside hurts terribly from me kicking myself.

Last edited by PatientWolf; April 19, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old April 20, 2015, 12:31 PM   #2
SaxonPig

The time to buy is when you're looking at it. If it leaves your hands, it may be gone forever. But there are other fish in the sea. Did you ask if they can get you one? Don't cost nothin' to ask.
Old April 20, 2015, 12:56 PM   #3
g.willikers

And what is wrong with one in .44?
Old April 20, 2015, 08:33 PM   #4
PatientWolf

Saxon Pig-you are correct. Unfortunately, I have a limited time allowed for lunch. I'm sure another will come along eventually. I stopped back to check today and found out the one I handled was used and they cannot currently even order new Marlins in .357.

G.willikers - absolutely nothing wrong with the .44, but I have a Browning B92 chambered in that already (and love it), so I've been looking for a .357 for some diversity.

I may eventually give up and go with a Rossi R92 or a Henry Big Boy Steel (though I prefer a side loading gate).

Last edited by PatientWolf; April 20, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old April 23, 2015, 06:15 AM   #5
rodfac

Too bad you missed it. While not a fan of "Safety" equipped Marlins, I have an 1894CS that's a tack driver. I paid too much for it...(got caught up in an auction and went over my target price) but as it turned out, glad I got it in the end.

Mine will do equally well with cast or jacketed bullets. My home cast 163 gr gas checked SWC's will do under 2" at 100 yds with a 2.5x scope mounted. This load does 1550 fps at the muzzle, making it a good 75 yd deer loading. With Hornady 158 gr XTP's, it'll do over 1700 fps and group into 1-1/2" at 100, extending the deer capable distance to 100 yds or so. Remington 158 gr. JHP's or SP's do nearly as well...grouping under two inches at 100 for the first three shots.

I've got 3 other Marlins with 20" bbl's and a Winchester 94 in the same length in several calibers, but it's the .357 that's usually in my hands for fence row walks here on our farm. I really like the gun, the caliber, and especially, the accuracy. It's a keeper..

Hope you get another shot at one...they're a fun carbine to own. For some good reading on the subject, do a google on Glen Fryxell's writing on it. He's got some great info on loads etc., as does Paco Kelly. Both write well, and are very knowledgeable.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.