The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 1, 2015, 09:50 AM   #51
Mike Irwin
Staff

Actually, it wasn't the Remington Model 6, it was the Remington Model Six, with the number spelled out.

http://www.remington.com/products/ar...model-six.aspx

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 1, 2015, 10:11 AM   #52
Inhimwelive

Reading comprehension, big problem on the net..
Old April 1, 2015, 11:57 AM   #53
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd forgotten that it was spelled out, and I spent about 10 minutes online last night looking for a slide-action Remington Model 6... being very confused.

Old April 2, 2015, 11:33 AM   #54
BoogieMan

Quote:
"I started shooting with a 760 Wingmaster 20ga."
Woops. Im sure you knew that a meant 870. The point is that it was natural progression to have the same action across several platforms. Squeeze trigger and jerk the bark back, repeat
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 2, 2015, 02:57 PM   #55
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Woops. Im sure you knew that a meant 870."

Nope, didn't have a clue...

I also started out pretty young with a pump shotgun, my Dad's Ithaca 37 12 gauge, then I graduated to a Winchester 1200 (much more pleasant to shoot, as it was a lot heavier) and some years ago I got an S&W 3000 police cruiser.

I'm shooting mainly a 20-gauge SxS these days, or my Dad's Remington 58 semi-auto, but for a general utility gun I still prefer pumps.

I've not shot pump rifles that much, and mainly .22s when I have, but I'd have no problems going with a pump centerfire.

One of these days I want to get a Remington 760 in .300 Savage, just to have it as a companion to my Savage 99 and my Remington 722 and 81, all in .300.

Old April 3, 2015, 08:11 PM   #56
bamaranger

Model 14

I'll add to my earlier post that my first deer rifle was a 3rd generation hand me down Model 14 in .30 Remington. It came from a great uncle, to my Dad, and to me, I hunted it just one season, all of about a week. Never shot anything with it, though my Dad did in his day. At the tender age of 12, I thought it was a sleek looking rifle. I still do.

The machining and old time metal work in the "candy cane" pumps is pretty staggering. Making one today would cost a small fortune. In their time, they were THE deer rifle for many. Just today I was glancing at some old timey on line pics of deer camps gone by, and the old Rem pumps are there in abundance.

Until recently, I would wipe down the old Model 14 and take it for a walk while scouting. Narrow, sleek, balanced, it was about like carrying a walking stick. About the last walk I made with it, a big doe paraded out onto the dirt road, iron sight distance away. I leveled the old rifle and snapped off the safety, I swear, I could feel the old gal tremor. The deer was legal, I could have driven the Bronco to her after the shot, but I had to be at work, soon, and had no time to fool with a deer, and let her pass. Wish now I'd shot her.
Old April 5, 2015, 08:34 AM   #57
osbornk

There are a couple of things that seem out of place to me. A pump action rifle and a bolt action shotgun seems as out of place as a three wheeled motorcycle or a convertible pick-up truck.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:05 AM   #58
Panfisher

Agreed
Old April 5, 2015, 02:44 PM   #59
Tony Z

I'll be dayamed! I gots me a 20 ga. JC Higgins bolt action shotgun-long, long barrel and a .22 Henry pump.

Suppose I ought just take a sledge to each and smash them to bits, or worse yet, run through the streets, yelling to one and all, that bolt and pump rifles don't deserve to be owned and should be turned into to Ma Guv-mint?

Nah, I'll keep em, and at least shoot the .22 pump.
Old April 5, 2015, 03:42 PM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

I don't have any pump rifles, but I do have a bolt action shotgun, a .410. Good gun.

is it a good gun for wingshooting multiples? Hell no. But its still a good gun.
Old April 6, 2015, 12:51 PM   #61
Mike Irwin
Staff

One of my fantasy rifles is a Colt Lightning large frame in .50-95 Winchester.

Old April 6, 2015, 02:55 PM   #62
RugerNo3

As to Bart Bee's question, the Remington pump center fires all 76,760, & 7600 have free floating barrels.
Old April 6, 2015, 07:09 PM   #63
reynolds357

Ruger, how do you go about accomplishing a free floating barrel on a pump?
Old April 6, 2015, 07:34 PM   #64
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Ah the pump

I have hunted thick cover with Remington pump rifles since my first 760 (.300 Savage) back in 1966 . I can put 5 rounds into a 3" bullseye faster than anyone can with a semi auto , or a lever of the same caliber . If you learn to shoot them properly , and can chew gum , and walk at the same time , you can too ! They are a regional thing (Northeast) . Here in VT , used ones aren't on the rack for more than a couple of days , before they're snapped up . They are a hunting gun ! If you want to shoot from a bench , or have all day to get your follow up shot off , then the bolt is the right tool . If you like to "spray and pray" , and don't have the manual dexterity , to operate any kind of action , then semi auto is the way to go .
Old April 7, 2015, 03:14 AM   #65
Keg

For years..my regular hunting rifle was a Winchester 88 lever action in 308....
I went into the local gun shop one day....There was this short slim lightweight Remington 760 pump carbine in 308.... It was an early one and like new.... I spent 3 bills and walked out with it.... I mounted a 3x9 Leupold compact on it.... This little gun really surprised me.... It is as accurate as most bolt action hunting rifles and with 5 quick shots.... I hunt riverbottom timber..most shots within 200 yards.... It has accounted about 30 deer and hogs in the hundreds..and thats with cheap 150 grain Remington corelokt ammo....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_46521_463388793704870_1349542866_n.jpg (115.4 KB, 28 views)
Old April 9, 2015, 01:49 AM   #66
Brotherbadger

Quote:
A pump action rifle and a bolt action shotgun seems as out of place
I actually own both of those!

It's odd, but I like my 572 fieldmaster. As for the bolt action shotgun.....well it was a hand me down. It's an odd duck, but a fun gun to bring out.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 9, 2015, 04:02 AM   #67
eastbank

to get a free floated barrel on a rem pump series 760-7600 rifle you just buy it as its made that way. i think the pump rifles were popular with the left handers(i am one) and left hand bolts were hard to get pre-70,s and there were very few hi powered lever action then also with the advent of high powered levers and left hand bolts these rifles have cut into the pump rifles sales. i own and shoot pumps,left hand, semi, and right hand actioned rifles, but my favorite deer rifles are a rem 7600 pump carbine in 3006 and a ren 700sps left hand 7mm-08. eastbank.
Old April 9, 2015, 05:24 AM   #68
Mike Irwin
Staff

High powered lever actions were available from the day Savage introduced the .250 and .300 back in the 1920s.

Starting in the 1950s the Savage 99 was in production for any number of high powered cartridges, including .250 Savage, .300 Savage, .243, .308, and others...

The Sako Finnwolf was introduced in 1965...

The Winchester Model 88 was in production from 1955 until 1973, and were still commonly available for a number of years after that.

The Browning BLR was introduced in the early 1960s.

And Winchester Model 95s were also still relatively cheap and available.

Old April 9, 2015, 01:20 PM   #69
eastbank

0nly the 95 win. was chambered in a long sized action, the 88 win as was the sav 99 and the finnwolf along with the browning levers were all short actions and i only put the .308 and the .358 in the large big game class at any long distance, the puny 3006 has killed every animal on earth and that would be my minimum. can you kill the realy big game with the rest,sure a .22 hornet will also. now you can get levers in mag calibers along with pumps and almost every rifle maker makes a left hand rifle. eastbank.
Old April 9, 2015, 03:09 PM   #70
Mike Irwin
Staff

"0nly the 95 win. was chambered in a long sized action, the 88 win as was the sav 99 and the finnwolf along with the browning levers were all short actions and i only put the .308 and the .358 in the large big game class at any long distance, the puny 3006 has killed every animal on earth and that would be my minimum."

OK, you didn't define your criteria adequately in your first post.

You do realize that the .308 and the .30-06 have virtually identical ballistics, and the .308 was derived from the .30-06 to solve the issue of a half inch of useless brass and airspace?

Given how long it's been around and how far and wide it's traveled, I wouldn't sell the .300 Savage short on its tally of species, either...

Old April 9, 2015, 05:21 PM   #71
eastbank

i have loaded and shot .308,s untill i locked up the bolts and also 3006,s. the best load in my the 3006 was 60.5 grs rl22 with the 165gr nosler bt and its going just south of 3000fps, a .308 will not do that and neither will the 300 savage. i am not knocking the 308(i load and shoot several) or the 300 sav. and no peing contest on my part.i was just pointing out a few reasons the pumps may be on the decline. the 760 rem pump in 3006 has been made since 1952, their were no comparable lever actions on the market at that time and only custom left hand rifles made in the U.S. them. i bought my first left hand bolt rifle in the early 70s, a savage 110L in 7mm mag. most all the short action rifles cramp the powder space of the case with long heavy bullets due to the short magazines and don,t reach there full potential. case in point the 350 rem mag the bullet was seated right into the powder space in the 600-660 series, but the rem 700 classic in that caliber shines. eastbank.
Old April 11, 2015, 08:36 AM   #72
22-rimfire

I also grew up hunting and shooting pump rifles and shotguns. PA due to its semi-auto rifle restriction for hunting has always been a haven for the Remington center fire pump action rifles. And yes, I agree that if you are used to shooting a pump action shotgun, having the 760/7600 (etc) is a natural in PA. In other states, the semi auto has won out and that is especially true of AR being so popular.

The Remington was never intended to be a target rifle; it is a hunting rifle through and through.

My first center fire rifle in PA was a bolt action. Dad had a 760.
Old April 13, 2015, 12:00 AM   #73
Clark

I have been killing raccoons in the past two years with some pump 22 rifles; Remington 572 (13), Winchester 61 (4), Colt Lightning (1).
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 15, 2015, 03:42 AM   #74
Keg

OP asked...home defense pump rifle....?

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7600.htm
Old April 15, 2015, 04:53 AM   #75
eastbank

if it works in the woods it will work in the home. eastbank.