The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 22, 2012, 11:43 PM   #51
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I also always have Leatherman in a hip pocket or belt holster too... But for fences, I sure hope you mean mending them!!! My obligation to a land owner as a land "borrower" is to leave his place better than I found it.

Brent
Old March 23, 2012, 10:06 AM   #52
Keg

Quote:
Marble? Quality. My father earned enough money from trapping to buy a Marble hand-axe. Age 10, 1919...
Old March 23, 2012, 04:33 PM   #53
Keg

Some that I have collected since I was a youngster ....Most of these are from the 1900's to the 1950's....The 2 user trappers at the top are what I am carryin right now..An Eye Brand & a Bulldog Brand...The sheath knife in the center..I carry too..Western States(before Western)..It was made in the 30's..I had mikarta handles put on it cause the old celuloid handles had deteriorated.....Made a good using knife....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0057.JPG (126.9 KB, 60 views)
Old March 23, 2012, 04:59 PM   #54
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Keg, that horizontally-placed knife at left center is much like my grandmother's, but the blade on hers was two inches, maybe a bit more, longer. Lord only knows how old. I gave it to my son...
Old March 23, 2012, 05:04 PM   #55
idnative1948

Another vote for the Buck 110. My oldest (which I don't like to use), I found stuck in a tree at a camp. Some idgiot obviously throwing it and broke the back spring so I sent to into Buck to find out how much to fix it. Ended up being nada for repair and came back razor sharp, along with a value sheet on it. Ends up that it is first gen and is worth $130 now.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:05 PM   #56
msnden

Quote:
I have always used Camillus knives. A fantastic company based in Camillus NY. They filed for bankrupcey in 2007 and the company name and all rights were sold. I'm not too sure of their new products but their old knives were the best in my book. Anyone else familiar with Camillus knives?
They are all out of business now, and the name was sold to a Co. in China orr Japan. the originals can still be found on ebay and such,, but are getting spendy. if you have never used one you don't know the control this gives the user, just a great knife, also a little known fact, this is the knife of choice of the Infamous "Hells Angles" if you run across any of these that are made in the USA snap them up.

The Camillus Sharpfinger

The Schrade sharpfinger

afew assorated sharpfingers
Old March 23, 2012, 10:48 PM   #57
idnative1948

A lot of good posts here, but how many are actually used in the field? I have a couple I hold back myself. Let's see the used ones.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:00 AM   #58
Keg

Art..thats an old Western from the 40's...If U look close there is a buffalo head on the blade....

msnden...Thats a lot of sharpfingers....
Old March 24, 2012, 12:06 AM   #59
FrankenMauser

Quote:
A lot of good posts here, but how many are actually used in the field? I have a couple I hold back myself. Let's see the used ones.
They are used. I clean them when I'm done.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:56 AM   #60
Hossless

Mora knife - MORAKNIV, made in Sweden. Carbon steel blade, (which has to be kept oiled when not in use). Scary sharp, and holds it's edge better than any knife I've owned. Best part is - only around 11 - 12 bucks. Fantastic bushcraft and or gutting/skinning knife. I've got a couple of different models and am going to purchase more. Got mine off of amazon.com, check out the reviews - and I don't leave home without it...
Old March 24, 2012, 08:52 AM   #61
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The Moras have always had a good reputation...
Old March 24, 2012, 09:36 AM   #62
treg

In my younger days I carried a special knife for deer hunting. Over the years I've found that my EDC does a fine job of dressing a deer. It ain't a lot of cutting and not a lot of precision is involved. As long as it's SHARP it'll get the job done.

Skinning and butchering is a different story and larger game may be too, but any EDC worth the calling will be able to field dress a whitetail deer. Heck, for the past 2 years I've used a $3, 3", made in China, plastic handled Schrade from the flea market with a washer welded on top for one hand opening. Having found a Kershaw VoltII on sale at Cabella's there is an upgrade in store for next year.

Don't get me wrong. I deeply appreciate the quality steels, craftmanship and utility of well made knives. My collection can prove that. Just lately for deer I've been asking, why?

Last edited by treg; March 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old March 24, 2012, 11:12 AM   #63
Jack O'Conner

I prefer to use a drop point fixed blade for dressing and skinning my deer. This fancy handled model by Elk Ridge (import) has good steel although not exceptional steel. It holds an edge reasonably well. Its easy to sharpen with a few strokes upon ceramic sticks.

I've had good luck with imported economy priced brands such as Rough Rider, Frost, Timber Wolf, Schrade, and Ridge Runner. BUCK still builds amazing knives, too!

Jack

Old March 24, 2012, 11:29 AM   #64
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since I see some collector types... I have a couple oldies (both huntin' related ) I would like to mention... One happens to be a "Western"... I have owned it since about '80-81 it was not new then. Blade is marked WESTERN with Boulder Colo below and USA on bottom. Handle is a black synthetic/aluminum sections. I Have never found this exact knife in google searches. If it has a value or desirability I would love to know.

The other is an Imperial... I know I never seen one that wasn't imported before finding this one.

It is a drop point with brown synthetic scales diamond checker pattern that looks cut with distinctly squared off edges.
Blade is marked "Imperial" with a crown over the "ria" PROV.R.I. under that with USA vertically as right margin.
I don't have a pic of it yet but if either of these are the "Holy Grail" to someone's collection I would be tickled to know it.

Brent
Old March 24, 2012, 12:23 PM   #65
dlb0412

Knives of alaska bush camp and cold steel recon.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:25 PM   #66
treg

Hogdogs,
I have a similar Western knife, same handle, clip point blade, from the same time period. Still have the sheath too, it's black leather with oak leaf and acorn tooling. The blade seems to be good steel as it holds an edge well. Got it new as a Christmas gift. It's gutted and skinned it share of deer and is still used as my small game cleaning knife.

I recall being in K-Mart with my Dad and him pointing out that knife in the case. I thought it was kinda ugly, but if he was asking me about there must be a reason. So with Christmas right around the corner I gave it a half hearted, half positive "humph". Now I think it's pretty cool.

Only seen one other similar knife. Seller was asking $50 at a gun show.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:40 PM   #67
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Found this today... askin' $129...
smaller knife than mine 4 1/2" blade comared to 5" and OAL of 8 1/2 compared to 9 1/4.

Here is the same size as mine...

Now I want your drop point and the 3rd in alloy delrin...

Brent
Old March 24, 2012, 06:53 PM   #68
Nick9130White

I have a Buck Omni Hunter for hunting with a gutter and a Buck Omni hunter for fishing. Got em free both in RealTree
Old March 25, 2012, 11:00 AM   #69
mikthestick

Remember I'm British. As a young man my father worked a 3 shift rota. He always had a sheath knife a bit like a small bowie beside the handbrake in his car. As I was a small boy he wouldn't even let me touch it. I'm not sure of our laws but I don't think we are allowed to carry knives around openly. I know if my father ever had need to use his it would have been in self defense. He still would have required a good lawyer and a lot of luck.

If I carried a knife (as an American citizen lets say) it would be a big (crocodile Dundee style) one. It would be where everyone could see it. All my friends would know I don't take my knife out unless I'm going to sharpen it or use it.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:14 PM   #70
Hawg

I've been using this Shrade Old Timer for about 30 years.

Old March 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #71
dayman

I've had good luck with a Buck 119, and a crkt m16 (my edc).

I've also found, for gutting I actually like the tanto tip on the m16 - I find the corner between the tip and the edge works well. I've never tried a gut hook, mostly because it seems to be a solution to a problem I don't have.

I did enjoy all the pretty knife pics.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:16 PM   #72
Keg

hogdogs...that was a popular Western knife handle in the 60's....That is the skinner....Western knives from Boulder, Colo were good ones....
Old March 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #73
Buzzcook

Quote:
If I carried a knife (as an American citizen lets say) it would be a big (crocodile Dundee style) one. It would be where everyone could see it. All my friends would know I don't take my knife out unless I'm going to sharpen it or use it.
I have a few bowie style knives. They aren't the best thing for skinning game. Not bad for breaking down the carcass. They're ok as camp knives for cutting kindling and mumbly peg.
Old March 25, 2012, 04:47 PM   #74
hooligan1

I had to dress that ten-pointer I got this year with a case "Copperhead", and it was the 1 inch blade at that,, I usually carry a buck 110 because it'll take a razor edge and hold it,, plus if I lose it wallyworld sells em cheap.

Now I can't really talk about the knives I've seen come and go as My father was a Case knife collector before any of us kids were born, he was born in 1927 and passed in 2002, and he gave me plenty of knives that I still have but it makes me cry, literally when I think of him and his "Knife Swappers" lounge here in Independence Mo., it was up on the square,,, some of you older fellas might of heard about it but he collected and traded knives every weekend, at the Covered Wagon on the square.

So when I saw this thread I grabbed some kleenex and started remembering!!!
Thanks fellas I'm blubbering like an ol lady now.......

On a happier note he did give me my great grandfathers pocketknife before he died in 2002, its a Case two bladed hunter in redbone... they say its worth quite a bit but it's mine til I pass then its the grandbaby's,,,, that dude is so sharp you can really shave your face with it...
Old March 26, 2012, 12:55 AM   #75
BIG P

My double blade OLD TIMMER & A mid Axe in the truck.You know for one lick bone displacement.