The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 4, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
matthew6060

PTR-91 Blues

I recently bought a brand new ptr91 in the scout squad configuration and i took it to the range. i was using winchester 147g 7.62x51 and i put 40 rounds through the gun. it seems like every fifth round or so failed to extract / eject. I also had one instance where it tried to feed two rounds at the same time. I have browsed forums looking for a solution and it seems to me that people either love or hate these guns. i have heard mention of a break in period on these guns too. does anyone have any info that will help me?

Also i bought a brand new M1A scout squad and used the same winchester ammo and i had a hiccup in that gun as well. what is a decent round to buy in qantity? is the winchester 7.62 poop?

i gotta say i love the ptr91's fit and finish. the rifle is super nice looking and the action is a little tight...
Old March 4, 2009, 09:02 PM   #2
stubbicatt

You may have an ejector issue. It is often caused by welding the shelf on too low. It is easily remedied. Mine had the issue as it came from the factory.

If you turn the rifle over, and peer into the magazine well, you should be able to cycle the action by hand and watch the ejector mechanism to move. If the ejector just *nearly* bottoms out in the groove on the bottom of the bolt head, you are GTG. I suspect you will find that it doesn't, and that there is some clearance between the ejector and the bolt head.

To experiment, put a thickness or two of card stock between the trigger pack and the grip frame at the front of the assembly, to shim the front of the trigger pack upwards, and try the ejector in the bolt head groove clearance drill again. If it doesn't bottom out in the groove, take it to the range to see if you have isolated the problem.

The other potential issue is the ammo. IIRC, the WB Winchester is tar sealed. The PTR doesn't like ammo with a tar sealant on the bullet. Clogs the flutes. However, unlike the symptoms you describe, that pretty much renders an operational rifle a single shot all the time. Yours is intermittent. The empty over feeding round behavior suggests that your issue is improper ejector clearance.

Call PTR91 Inc. and see whether they will receive the rifle back for remedy. They fixed mine up just fine.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Chui

It *may* be the ammo since it choked in both rifles.

Try another brand (i.e., hotter) and see what happens.

In the M1A, however, heavy (i.e., greater than 168 grain or probably 175 grain) ammo will cause some durability issues (eventually) with the operating rod.

Double feeds are mag-related.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Willie D

I have no PTR experience but on the ammo front: a lot of US sporting ammo is weaker than military ammo.

If break-in is a factor on these rifles then you might have an easier time breaking it it with hotter ammo.
Old March 5, 2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Houndog

I would try giving the rifle a good cleaning, switch to some decent milsurp ammo (south african, Port, Aussie) and maybe try a couple of different mags. If the issue persists I'd just send it back to PTR for a fix.

The PTR91 is a well made rifle, but every once in a bad one will slip through QC. The company is very good about standing behind their products and I have no doubt they'll make it right.
Old March 5, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Average Joe

The simplest thing to do is change ammo. Your guns may not like Winchester.
Old April 19, 2009, 11:04 PM   #7
samurai30047

Love my PTR

I bought mine just after the election. I was unaware of what a PTR was until a visit to my local gun shop. Read up on it and took the plunge. I've shot about 300 rounds through it with no problems. I shot surplus ammo and federal .308(only 10 rounds). It chews the hell out of the brass but reliable as hell. I was advised to let it get dirty for the first 200 rounds to break it in. It took 2 hours to clean it like I wanted. But it's love. Betty is easy on the eyes and will probably get a different sling(CQB) SOON.
I'm wondering if a bipod for the H and K will fit the PTR. Also how tough is it to mount a scope? I have the KFM4. The tactical rails are tough on the hands but I can wear gloves I suppose.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Lloyd Smale

new guns so times need a hundred rounds or so to settle in. Dont give up till youve at least shot a few clips through them.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:34 AM   #9
stubbicatt

Didja figger it out yet?

Curious to see what you determined the issue to be.

Tags
308 , ptr-91 , ptr91