The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 10, 2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Dino.

Sorry to go against the popular vote here, but I've had my Colt/Umarex M4 for about three years now and it's been flawless.

I initially chose it over the M&P because it wasn't plastic and it had the weight and feel of the "real" M4.
It's been 100% reliable with CCI MiniMags.
I haven't experimented with bulk ammo, and I most likely wont.
I tend to stick with what I know works well.

The "AR" platform allowed me to add a Magpul stock, FAB Defense grip, Magpul MBUS rear sight, and an ACOG replica scope. BTW, I have both 10-round and 30-round magazines. The 10-round magazines come in handy for shooting from a bench rest.

Here's a 10-shot group at 30 yards from a bench rest.

Old February 10, 2012, 04:07 PM   #27
dutchgunsmoke

Get the Smith, get the Smith... for Pete's sake... Get the Smith.

The Umarex needs to be adjusted to your ammo of choice.

Then there's the cleaning part.
1. You need tools to fieldstrip.
2. The Umarex only magically needs a spray and a wipe. Yep. Santa lives on the Northpole and you will win the Jackpot this month without buying a lottery ticket.

The Smith doesn't need adjusting. Load it, shoot it. Period.
It fieldstrips without tools. The safety operates like on a true AR.

And another big pro for the M&P15-22...

You can tinker with it. Want another pistolgrip? Not gonna work on the Umarex, but you can put on anything on the Smith.

Hate the trigger on your Umarex? Get used to it.

Wanna throw in a Rock River, JP or any other aftermarket triggergroup in the Smith? Just go ahead, it's a millspec triggergroup.

Same thing with the stock.

The Smith is the much better value for money rifle with much less hassle.

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old February 10, 2012, 04:14 PM   #28
Dino.

Quote:
The Umarex needs to be adjusted to your ammo of choice.
I've never made a single "adjustment" and never had an isuue with the trigger.
I guess I got the only good one in existance.
Old February 10, 2012, 04:28 PM   #29
SteelChickenShooter

Interesting photo of the shot group. Very similar to mine shooting mini-mags. But mine was a bit better making a single large ragged hole with 15 rounds. I also have the 10 & 20 round clips. Kinda cool to load up the 10, 20, and 30 rounders then blast away. And I have four of each- making for 240 rounds per session. Not bad to have a plinker like that. And there's no question it is fun to shoot. Friends and family get a kick out of it. Maybe I did buy the wrong rifle based on popular opinion- but I've done it before with one thing or another. Looking back re-reading all the posts, I found out I forgot how to spell golf balls.
Old February 10, 2012, 04:34 PM   #30
Microgunner

I bought the Colt / Umarex M4 OPS and was pretty disappointed with the zinc alloy innards. Sold it and purchased a CMMG Sierra .22lr upper for my S&W M&P 15T (it will fit any mil spec AR lower) and couldn't be happier.
MUCH better quality with an all steel bolt and a real, full profile steel barrel, not the puny little pencil thin Umarex barrel in an aluminum sleeve.
My CMMG upper has been both reliable and accurate.
I honestly can't see how Colt/Umarex, S&W and others are selling their AR15-22s when these far superior uppers are available.
CMMG also sell a complete AR15-22 rifle (the Quebec) for about the same money as the cheaply built Colt, and you can put a center fire upper on the CMMG Quebec.
Old October 22, 2012, 04:08 PM   #31
oldsoonershooter

15-22 love affair

For a while I thought i was on the S&W 15-22 infatuation board. I decided to spend some money and save some at the same time. The folks I talked to around here all seemed to favor the S&W. But when I looked at them and felt how "plastic" they were, I decided to look at the umarex. Solidly built,not "all plastic". Since shooting it for about 2 weeks now and about 1000 rounds,I have yet to have a FTF or aFTE. I've used several different rounds, and have never adjusted the speed as they call it. Also, did I mention it was $100 less than the Smith. Needless to say I'm pretty happy with mine.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:27 AM   #32
Strafer Gott

This is a funny thread. Not quite as fanboy as the rimfirecentral crowd, but close. Here's a clue. .22 uppers shoot as bad as stock 10-22s. Smith has carried the poly lower to a poly upper as well. Colt was made in Germany, and I forget what the downside to that is. Play nice, kids.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:47 AM   #33
Crow Hunter

Quote:
For a while I thought i was on the S&W 15-22 infatuation board. I decided to spend some money and save some at the same time. The folks I talked to around here all seemed to favor the S&W. But when I looked at them and felt how "plastic" they were, I decided to look at the umarex. Solidly built,not "all plastic". Since shooting it for about 2 weeks now and about 1000 rounds,I have yet to have a FTF or aFTE. I've used several different rounds, and have never adjusted the speed as they call it. Also, did I mention it was $100 less than the Smith. Needless to say I'm pretty happy with mine.
Some people, like myself, wanted a gun that functioned similar to a real AR, not just look like one on the outside so that I could mimic my 6920 as close a possible for training/skills carry over.

If the Umarex suits your purposes and you like it, it was a good investment no matter if you saved $100 or spent $100 more.

Personally, I don't want a gun that has functionally irrevelant parts on it just for looks.

Good luck.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:03 PM   #34
velillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun47 View Post
my brother in law's 15-22 works flawless with walmart federal bulk and the winchester 555 packs. so does my sig 522 which eats any brand .22lr but the blackdog mags for the 522 aren't so reliable.
Curious what problems you have with the blackdog mags? I have 3 I've used with no problems and I ordered 10 more recently.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:32 PM   #35
Eghad

I have a CMMG dedicated .22LR upper which is an AR15 upper with a .22LR barrel. I added a CMMG AR-15 Lower. I got everything for $500.00.

NRA Life Member
Old October 24, 2012, 04:19 PM   #36
JWT

I chose the S&S 15-22 over the Colt/Umarex because the non functioning parts did not appeal to me. The polymer construction is not noticeable IMO. have several thousand rounds through it, almost all Federal and CCI bulk pack, without a single malfunction. It is a great little gun to shoot.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:38 AM   #37
oldsoonershooter

Had to find out

Well since my post regarding the Umarex M4 met with some appearance vs functionality critisizem I thought I would just buy the 15-22 also. Now i agree the Umarex forward assist isn't functional but my 15-22 doesn't even have one. I guess thats how they solved that problem. The 15-22 does have a functioning bolt catch which is a nice feature, and the bolt comes out almost like a real AR. After shooting both for a couple of weeks, I have yet to have a feeding or ejecting failure on either. I like them both and wouldn't hesitate to recomend either one. What I am now looking at is the ISSC MK22. I see a lot of earlier problems with inner bolt strippings and a picture of a broken stock henge that was made of some kind of pot metal. The one I looked at had a henge made from what appeared to be some kind of plastic. Gun was labled as a "Dealer Demo" so it was used. I would hope to think it functioned without problems. Tell me what you think. I do listen!!