The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 3, 2011, 11:26 AM   #1
rlee5349

Kolb/ Sedgley Baby Hammerless repair.

Hi, How's everyone? I purchased an old Sedgley Baby Hammerless Model 1910. At unblinkingeye.com, I was able to determine that it's a small frame "transition" model, first type, 6 shot .22 caliber revolver. I bought it cheap because it's not working and thought it'd be fun to try and work on it. You pull the trigger and the cylinder advances, but then nothing happens, hammer doesn't cock or drop. I've taken it completely apart and I think I see the problem but the problem is, it's impossible to find an exploded parts diagram anywhere! There's a piece that looks like it's been rigged with a paperclip that broke at some point. It's part of the general trigger assembly and I think it's called the "hand" (sorry I'm no gunsmith; I think it's the part that advances the cylinder)? I'll attach a picture of the part in case someone can recognize it and tell me if indeed that is the problem and what that part name is so I can try to hunt one up. It would be great if someone could direct me to a parts schematic as well. I heard that Numrich once had a schematic for a Model 1916, which I think would work for me, but I don't think it's available anymore. Last, if anyone has the Frank Sellers book on these Baby Hammerless revolvers and could tell me if it includes exploded diagrams and or nice pics of exploded revolvers, that would be great! It might be worth purchasing if it has those diagrams. Thanks all, please don't let me down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (256.1 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (238.2 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (232.9 KB, 379 views)
Old March 3, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2
rlee5349

anyone?
Old March 4, 2011, 06:38 AM   #3
gyvel

Try this link: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=239

No schematic, but some parts are still available.

Afterthought: I believe the schematic is in some the older Numrich catalogs, so if you can locate one of them, you will find it. I definitely remember having to order a new mainspring for one that I had and seeing a picture of it in the book.

Reedit: I just got out my Numrich book, and, while all the parts are illustrated, there is no schematic, per se, showing the relationship with each other, just the separate parts themselves.

Last edited by gyvel; March 4, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:52 AM   #4
rlee5349

gyvel, believe it or not, that illustrated parts list would help me out immensely! I've been able to determine from various interactions that what I'm missing is the hand spring. I would like to at least see what it looks like, so maybe I could fabricate something that would work for me. I've heard it's a small, "L"-shaped leaf spring that I need. Would you be able to scan that page in the book and e-mail it to me? Or copy it and mail it to me? My gun is a Model 1910, but it's a late one, with the combination mainspring, not the leaf mainspring. Illustrated parts list for the Model 1916 might even work. Thanks for your help. Ryan
Old March 4, 2011, 01:58 PM   #5
phoneguy11

Did you ever get anywhere with your baby hammerless I purchased the book but it wasn't what I though it would be. I also have a late 1910 would like to see more detailed pictures of parts.
Old March 4, 2011, 05:16 PM   #6
gyvel

Quote:
gyvel, believe it or not, that illustrated parts list would help me out immensely! I've been able to determine from various interactions that what I'm missing is the hand spring. I would like to at least see what it looks like, so maybe I could fabricate something that would work for me. I've heard it's a small, "L"-shaped leaf spring that I need. Would you be able to scan that page in the book and e-mail it to me? Or copy it and mail it to me? My gun is a Model 1910, but it's a late one, with the combination mainspring, not the leaf mainspring. Illustrated parts list for the Model 1916 might even work. Thanks for your help. Ryan
PM sent.
Old March 4, 2011, 06:35 PM   #7
rlee5349

Phoneguy, I have the gun in pieces, waiting to find the right part. Numrich doesn't have it, but I'm going to check other sources for obsolete parts. Without a schematic, I hope to hell I can even get the gun back together when I do find the part. I kind of forget exactly how the pieces fit. Oh well, it's all part of the fun!
Old March 5, 2011, 04:44 PM   #8
phoneguy11

baby hammerless

rle5349, there are some good pictures in the patent inf I could send you a list of the ones that helped me.
Mine is missing a main spring and cylinder stop.
here is a list of the patent numbers that show diagrams of the baby, use google patent search to view them.

1216001 labeled combined rebounding
954190 labeled firing pin foe
954191 labeled firearm1910

Last edited by phoneguy11; March 6, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old April 30, 2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Feltner1

Need help with my 1918 sedgley baby hammerless

Does anyone have any pictures of the 1918 baby hammerless? I fell I have all the parts but am not sure. My drum spins freely, I don't see a part that would make it spin. Also, I took it apart and cannot figure out how the spring goes back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old April 9, 2012, 11:07 AM   #10
recon1911

Baby Springs

I have a baby hammerless that is definitely missing a spring, and it screws to the frame on the inside and goe towards the trigger/hammer. Does anyone know if there is a picture of one of these to show what goes where? Or does anyone have any pictures of the inners? Thanks, Rich