The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2010, 12:45 AM   #26
WESHOOT2

come to my house; I own a range

We'll take ten steps out the door, and I'll let you shoot a mag full of 9x19 through a 41AE barrel (I didn't notice I still had the 41 barrel in it until, the chrono numbers lit the bulb.....).

The cases will look somewhat similar to those pictured.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:33 PM   #27
briandg

So you didn't even notice that the thing shot differently firing the 9 mm out the oversized barrel? that is astounding. Does it appear to you that the expanded case sealed the chamber before the bullet left?
Old May 13, 2010, 06:51 PM   #28
orionengnr

When I first started handloading (only two years ago) I started brass-whoring at the range (picking up every case I could find).

I found a case that looks a lot like that one. My guess at the time was that someone fired a 9mm cartridge through a .40S&W pistol.

I kept it, along with a few others I've found, as a reminder not to do certain stupid things. It's worked reasonably well so far.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:37 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
So you didn't even notice that the thing shot differently firing the 9 mm out the oversized barrel? that is astounding.
I witnessed the firing that generated the deformed shell I have. The reports sounded normal and the shooter didn't seem to notice any issues with recoil difference although I didn't get to talk with him extensively about it. He was pretty unhappy about the effect on his score and didn't want to talk much. He did have several malfunctions before he realized what the problem was and accuracy was, shall we say, unimpressive.
Quote:
I kept it, along with a few others I've found, as a reminder not to do certain stupid things.
That's exactly why I picked up the one I have, and why it sits on the computer.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:42 PM   #30
Jim243

John, I would have moved over 4 or 5 booths if it was me. I had a shooter next to me completely distroy a S&W mod 27 15 feet from me with a squip. I spent the next 15 min checking that I had not been hit by flying peices.

How do you like the 10mm, better or worse than the 40??

Jim
Old May 13, 2010, 11:49 PM   #31
briandg

Quote:
I kept it, along with a few others I've found, as a reminder not to do certain stupid things.
I have a 10" strip of crime scene tape in my desk, a souvenir of a teenager dying so horribly I will never forget it. I used to leave it where my daughter could see it. I don't know if she got any good out of it, but it does me good to remember it.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:05 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Jim,

He was shooting immediately before me on a particular stage at a GSSF match and as soon as he figured out the problem he switched to proper ammunition. Before he figured out what was wrong no one even realized that there was a problem other than he was having more jams than one would expect.

I don't own any .40S&W pistols so I guess you could say I like the 10mm better.