The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
k in AR

Powder, How old is old?

I have powder that is at least 20 years old that I only use for a few loads....
It has always kept in a temp. controlled house in my reloading room,
Seems to work fine in my loads, but then I don't use it very often...
YET, I have noticed it has a much stronger smell than I remember.

Question, is it still safe to store in the house?
Also, if the smell is it degrading, will that become an issue before long?
Old July 29, 2007, 07:12 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Change in smell

Is usually a sign of chemical decomposition. This can affect your loads. It may become unsafe, or it may just lose a little performance. No real way to tell for sure. Unless we are talking about something they don't make anymore (or a large container), why not just replace it?

I remember reading an article back in the early 70's, "IMR 4895...25 years later". The author had bought 100lbs of IMR 4895 just after WWII, four 25lb caddies. He eventually used up three of them, but one got stored in his mother's barn until he found it, 25 years later. He ran detailed load tests, and found nothing wrong with his powder, except velocities were about 100fps below the same weight of modern powder.

You might have a similar experience, or you might have something entirely different. Check the container for any signs of corrosion, rust, rot, mildew, dents, bulges, essentially anything out of th ordinary. If you have something like this, that is evidence that the powder may have reacted with the container, and if it has, the safest thing to do is dispose of it.

Of course, it could just be your memory playing tricks on you, making you think the smell is stronger, because more modern powders you have smelled recently weren't as strong. That could be what has happened. Or it could be something different. If there is a very strong ammonia smell, there could be a problem.

Good luck.
Old July 29, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
crowbeaner

I have the old square cans of Unique, Red Dot, Hi-Vel#2, RL11 and RL21 still sealed and unopened. I have no doubt that the powder is STILL good and will work just fine. They have to be 50 or 60 years old. As long as powder is kept cool and dark in a closed dry container you can count that it will work. As has been stated in the earlier post, use your nose. If the powder smells like ammonia it probably has begun to deteriorate, and should be used for rose food. Many of my friends have used powder that is 30 or more years old; no problems. The last time I loaded 6mm ammo I used some IMR 4350 from the 50's. I had to use a pair of pliers to get the cap off. Smelled like good old IMR ether. Good stuff! Enjoy. CB
Old July 29, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Linear Thinker

k - I have a quantity of older powders, including BLC (not BLC2) that I use for 250 Savage, and Hercules Hi-Vel #2. Both are at least 50 years old.
They seem to work well.

I am not aware of any shelf life issues with modern powders when stored properly. Same for ammo.
About 20 years ago, I inherited a WW1 Colt 45ACP that was stored loaded with WW1 ammo since then. I fired it - every round went off, and cycled the gun.

I did see a powder lot go bad - the powder sticks turned to red dust. Check your powder - is there any dust or residue at the bottom of the container? If there is, chuck it.
LT
Old July 30, 2007, 04:45 PM   #5
k in AR

thanks all, sounds like real good advice. k
Old July 30, 2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Edward429451

And if you don't trust your nose, try pouring some out onto a white sheet of paper and look at it. It's either uniform in color & granulation or it's not. When old powder goes bad it loses its granulation consistency and usually will have a reddish-orange residue present.

The worst experiance I've had in using old powder was finding out that it was still good (from late 70's early 80's) and it's a little discouraging to know that it shoots great but as soon as its gone, I have to start over with new powder.