The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2002, 07:04 PM   #1
Will Fennell

Goin' Retro @ the Hunting Club....The O3A3 draws blood

I got a nice "03A3 Springfield last week....Remington '43 production. I've always wanted one, not just to 'collect', but to shoot. Well Saturday we are all out at the hunting club, and during the middle of the day, everybody is at the range checking zero's on rifles and such. I got the Springfield out, and it really seemed to shoot well. The 4" steel plates at the 100yd backstop were in serious danger.....everybody had a good time, and were duly impressed.

Well, I couldn't stand it, and took it to the stand with me Sunday morning. I saw several deer, and later in the morning a young spike came. He had obivously screwed up, deformed horns,a nd he needed to be taken from heard....45 yards and trotting....boom, and the Ol' Warhorse did the deed just fine, thankyou.

Now, everybody in the club is talking about getting Milsurp boltguns for the second half of the season
Old November 25, 2002, 07:40 PM   #2
Peetmoss

Sounds like a sweet gun Will. Hey sorry to ask about business but I have a question for you I was hoping you could answer about Camilus Knives. Do they still make the lock blade I believe it had a 4" blade standard brass ends on the handle, wilth what apears to be some kind of fancy work in the center. It also has a green oval with a gold buck in it. I looked on the site but couldn't find it.
Old November 25, 2002, 10:23 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

We were warned one time to thin the herd by the state biologists. We did not have too many hunters so we decided to "take matters" in our hands. I used my 03A3. The 6 rounds instead of 4 or 5 came in right handy that day when the whole herd came by .

Is yours original or sportorized? I sporterized mine back when I was young and dumb (as opposed to old and dumb now).
Old November 26, 2002, 05:22 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for that, Will. The first rifle I took a deer with(Ca 1962) was an unaltered, low serial number 03.

Owned a couple A3s since then, all were reliable, accurate enough, and handled nicely....
Old November 26, 2002, 10:02 AM   #5
Will Fennell

Gotta shoot this thing more....

Peetmoss,
I don't mind talking biz....the knife you are refering to is the AMERICAN WILDLIFE series...it has been with CAMILLUS for many years, and while some feel it is an outdated "look", the demand continues. Current production has the same knife you are refering to, but with nickle-silver bolsters and liners instead of brass. We just decided to "switch it up" this year, and make it a little different. Here is a pic....

Southla1,
Mine is all original. I wanted and original configuration rifle that I could shoot. I really like the sites on the '03A3. I have an old nice NRA sported Springield of my grandfather's that had been 'reconfigured' over the years....and I' working on getting it back to the "original sporterized" condition. Finding the proper Lyman recievr site is proving difficult.

Dave, I know what you mean about how well SPRINGFIELDS handle. Everybody is raving about M1 GARANDS right now, but to me they handle like a 4x4.....the '03A3 handles like a flyrod. When you start to mount the gun on a target, you just KNOW you are gonna hit it. It don't get no 'betta than that!
Old November 26, 2002, 11:01 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Back when I wuz a kid and just getting started in '06-land, I grumped to my uncle about the distance to a target. Giving me "that look" (which could shrivel the soul of a Hilary Clinton), he thought of his early days with a Springfield and snorted, "When I was your age, anything that jumped up inside of 300 yards belonged to me."

, Art
Old November 26, 2002, 01:08 PM   #7
Ledbetter

"Shrivel the soul of Hilary Clinton."

He'd have to find it first.

Regards.
Old November 26, 2002, 01:26 PM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Dave try E-Bay for parts for either an 03 or an 03A3. Sometimes there are gems on there, and not just rifle parts. I have found parts for old reloading equipment, old fishing lures that to me anyway work better for bass than most made today (Heddon Sonic is one that comes to mind).

I even found a large culinder for my old RCBS Uniflow powder measure. Mine was an original and did not come with it. Later when I tried to order one they were not sold separately. No problem.......10 bucks on E-bay.

I have even found some old Lyman 57 receiver sights on there too.

There are usually 5 or 6 pages for Garand accessories and parts. Thats where I scored on a lot of en-bloc clips for two bits apiece PLUS the bandoliers.
Old November 26, 2002, 06:36 PM   #9
Peetmoss

Will

Yup thats it. And I like it even more now with the new nickle design. Thanks a bunch for the info and the pic. Hey you wouldn't happen to know if I can go directly to Camilus Cuttlery and purchase these knives would you. I am only a hop skip and a jump away. I know a dealer but he is a pain in the but to get a hold of. Again thanks a million.