The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
kc8prz

5 new pistols in 5 weeks.

The wife said "when the kids are grown up and gone, then you can"...Soooo, I did just that... I am disabled (a number of reasons why) and have 13 bad discs with some of them ruptured...To hold down the total weight of the firearms I stick with 9mm and Compact or Sub-compact in size....It makes a huge difference to me...

The 5 I bought are (1) Taurus Millennium G2 PT111, (2)Beretta PX4 Storm (too heavy), (3) Ruger SR9c, (4) Glock 19 Gen3, (5) Taurus TCP 738 (too cute for words and the only non 9mm).... Whatdoyathinkaboutit?..Did I miss any "gun of the month) pistol faves?
Old June 24, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Ace_Breaker

I am not in any way shape or form a Taurus fan. There isn't one and probably never will be another in my safe. The others are nice though. One gun I like, for about $450, is the Walther PPX. It has a fantastic double action trigger and performs flawlessly. The only thing cheap about it is the price.
Old June 24, 2013, 04:40 PM   #3
BarryLee

Sorry about the physical issues, but congratulations on the new firearms sounds like you did pretty good. So, here’s the big question: what’s next?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 24, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Kahr P9, PM9, CW9, or CM9

S&W Plastic M&P Compact and Shield

Boberg XR9

There are others you could look at, Rorhbaugh, XDs, Ruger LC9, KelTec PF9, good older guns like S&W 3913, but the above are the ones I have seen in use.
Old June 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
KMAX

Didn't anyone ever tell you it is not nice to brag to those less fortunate? Seriously, congrats and happy shooting.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old June 24, 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
g.willikers

Unless you're built like an octopus, how are you gonna' shoot them all?
Don't be selfish, leave some for the rest of us.
Old June 24, 2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I'd replace that Taurus 9mm with a Walther PPS. I'd also replace the .380 with a Ruger LCP. Otherwise, the other three are great choices.

If you are happy with the Taurus, and they don't crap out on you, everyone needs a snub nose .38. S&W Airweights are great examples of the breed.
Old June 24, 2013, 06:27 PM   #8
kc8prz

The Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 will surprise you. It is a very nice piece. The Taurus TCP 738 was recommended to me by two different shooting ranges for both features and durability in a .380... LCP! Had a LC9 and traded it off as I diden't like it... Next! A Baby Glock G26 is next if any. A Walther Sub compact could happen... I might trade off the PX4 Storm for one... More guns depends on the proceeds from the dissolution of other stagnant hobbies.

Last edited by kc8prz; June 24, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

After a rather bad experience with Taurus, I've sworn them off.... Even if they started making world class guns, I'd still steer clear. I do hope yours are excellent and serve you a lifetime.

My buddy owns an LC9 and between you and I, I didn't like it much either. I do like my LCP a lot though. Good trigger, accurate, reliable and a great pocket gun.

Find a Walther PPS if you can. Great trigger, reliable and shoots like a full size. Out of all the compacts out there, it impressed me the most and hasn't let me down yet.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:51 AM   #10
myusername

You "have" to get a Canik55 Shark and Scorpion. Google them. Beautiful finish, all metal, built in Turkey for Nato. They are going to be the new "gotta have" gun.
Old June 25, 2013, 04:18 PM   #11
kc8prz

Sorry, my apologies... I didn't stop to think that it sounded a lot like "bragging"...I wouldn't like doing that... I have so much while others may only have one or maybe no gun at all.. I waited many decades to be a part of the "gun owning community" along with it's rights and privileges. I was just so happy to be able to do this and wanted to share the thoughts... My wood working hobby, for one, is being sold off machine by machine to fund this... I have but a few years left and want to enjoy this hobby.
Old June 25, 2013, 04:28 PM   #12
tekarra

Don't stop, keep the flow going.
Old June 25, 2013, 04:37 PM   #13
KMAX

Quote:
Sorry, my apologies... I didn't stop to think that it sounded a lot like "bragging"...I wouldn't like doing that...
I was just joking with my comment about bragging. Hope you enjoy your new guns and can get more if you want. Welcome to the world of guns and shooting if you are new, or maybe welcome back. I was out of the gun thing for several years and then a few years after I got married I got back into it. Now my wife thinks I have gone overboard. What does she know?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old June 25, 2013, 05:05 PM   #14
kc8prz

Not really new to guns...Invites to the gun range using someone else's gun and similar situations like that happened over the years...Couple that with the introduction of the internet with web sites such as this one, YouTube, on line reviews, and manufacture web sites kept me informed, entertained, and educated over the years...Im just an average shot at best so far... My dad was a WW2 Vet and war hero... Had a Purple Hart, etc along with a hand written letter from Dwight D. Eisenhower.... Among other attributes he qualified as "Expert Marksman"... Hope it rubs off.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:26 PM   #15
tristar viper

Don't listen to the Taurus haters. I have two Tauruses, they're as good and reliable as my Glocks and my Sig....never a problem. And I'd never in 3 million years trade my TCP for an LCP. I'd rather throw rocks at a bad guy.
Old June 25, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Erikbal

Re: 5 new pistols in 5 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8prz View Post
The wife said "when the kids are grown up and gone, then you can"...Soooo, I did just that... I am disabled (a number of reasons why) and have 13 bad discs with some of them ruptured...To hold down the total weight of the firearms I stick with 9mm and Compact or Sub-compact in size....It makes a huge difference to me...

The 5 I bought are (1) Taurus Millennium G2 PT111, (2)Beretta PX4 Storm (too heavy), (3) Ruger SR9c, (4) Glock 19 Gen3, (5) Taurus TCP 738 (too cute for words and the only non 9mm).... Whatdoyathinkaboutit?..Did I miss any "gun of the month) pistol faves?
What one is your favorite? How do you like the SR9c compared to the Glock 19? I love my SR9c and my best friend has a gen 3 Glock 19, my other friend has a Taurus Millennium as well. We haven't had a chance to go shoot the Glock and SR9c together yet..
Old June 25, 2013, 08:54 PM   #17
kc8prz

Oh man! Ruger SR9c "Gun of the year", and rightfully so...What has been said about it is all true... You gotta just love that near completion trigger...It is very accurate as the Glock and is just about the same weight... My small hands work much better with the Ruger... The Glocks trigger is not as good as the SR9c but is a good trigger... The Glock is not as well balanced as the Ruger but thats nit picking a bit. All else between the two about the same... Six of one, half dozen of the other somewhat...A big plus for Ruger is that it is made in the good old USA... My common sense and statical/analytical mind says the Ruger wins but my long time love affair with the Glock wants me to favor it.... So I bought them both... In my mind the SR9c and the G19 are probably the best examples of the working mans Compact size pistols... The Millennium G2 is an absolute standout with it's marvelous grips and super low price but otherwise it is just a good solid pistol...
------------------------------------------------------------------
I keep editing this as I think of more. Bigwig for Taurus say things are changing much for the better and there is physical evidence of that fact... I like a lot of you would not have put my hard earned money down on a Taurus years ago. .. But common guys.
.. Ruger was there once and look at them now... I personally think that the Taurus reincarnation is unfolding now...
I am taking a chance with it without hesitation... Maybe you can't give them a break if you have been bitten before but at least give them some room to grow... By rights we could be criticizing Sig with it's deplorable P250 and it's failure to correct the issues as well as some of it's other quality issues starting to become more prevalent, but no we give them lots of room and sweep it under the rug... I really want a good solid Sig P250 if only they would make one... Now just the opposite with Taurus... If there is a hick cup with someones Taurus we'll have a thread a mile long bashing them.

Last edited by kc8prz; June 25, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old June 27, 2013, 06:34 AM   #18
Ace_Breaker

The Ruger is nice, but nobody can change my thoughts on the bull. Every one I have owned has broken and had to be returned. I will never trust one to save a life. That has never happened to me with any other make. I currently own an SR40c and numerous Glocks. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:26 AM   #19
kahrguy

Crasyhorse Good thing you did not have a bad experience with a 1500 dollar pistol.

I would look a Taurus over closely just like it was a s&w or any other brand today as they all make some junk firearms. The tcp might be one of the best micro pistol of the group once the gun snobs get over there mental issues. hehehe. The early models did have problems just like ruger , kt and all the others did and some still do. They were one of the last into the micro game too. They are in to a 4 gen now. I own a couple Taurus's. A model 85SS I carried for 20 years. And 2 - 3rd gen tcp's, my youngest girl claimed one , wife claimed the other for CC both shoot any ole brand of ammo reliably. Both have close to 800 trouble free rounds fired so far.

kc8prz Got try out a kahr. If you like the da type trigger pull the tcp has then the kahr line makes for a better match in trigger type. I have a 3 of them. The trigger type makes a good mix with the tcp as there a DA type trigger.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:07 AM   #20
shuler13

5 new pistols in 5 weeks.

The only thing I see missing in an inexpensive small 9mm is a Bersa. BP9CC is a great package. Thunder9UCPro is another combination of size, balance and feel. If not a bersa, a shield or XDs are hot single stack polymer 9mm that you may want to grab and try.
Old June 27, 2013, 11:47 AM   #21
dgludwig

You made some nice choices, kc8prz. Now you need to go out and "break'em in". Let us know how the shooting goes.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:42 PM   #22
Old Stony

Against my better judgement, I bought a Taurus 945 once. It was a beautiful looking stainless pistol and I had some custom made grips made for it. It would seldom make it through a mag without problems either going in or coming out. I tried all the normal fixes such as other mags etc... Eventually I came to my senses and got rid of the anchor.
I have seen so many problems with Taurus over the years you would think I'd know better. I'm too old to get my foot up enough to kick myself in the rear anymore, but I do think I have enough sense still left to realize I will never buy another Taurus again....
One problem I saw twice should have made an impression with me. A good friend had a gun shop and sold some of the Judges when they first came out. Two of them returned to haunt him with a problem that should never have happened. The extractors were so far off, that you could not load a round of .410 into the cylinder. This means they were never test fired at the factory or they would caught the problem. Taurus fixed them....after an 8 week wait and the loss of two of my friends customers.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:08 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Very nice!!! I'm happy for you.

I personally would have just bought the Glock 19 with night sights and plenty of ammo and magazines! And maybe a 1911 for the range.
Old June 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Louca

Quote:
More guns depends on the proceeds from the dissolution of other stagnant hobbies.
Hopefully not amateur radio, right? I am assuming you are a ham by your name. Sadly, I am almost stagnant in it now. Been licensed for 45 years now.

73s,

Lou
WA8YRH