The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 3, 2014, 11:01 PM   #1
towncarblue

just moved to wilkes-barre pa

i used to live in cleveland OH . i used to buy my firearms from
vanceoutdoors.com and finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/ because their prices were very good and in proximity to my ares of visit. [work related]
BUT
i recently moved to Wilkes-barre PA because i was laid off.
ive done some searching and i cant find a gun store or a firring range around here.... the closest i get online is in the poconos [ their prices are outrageous ]

i just found gricegunshop.com but they are too far away [ 2 hours 30 min each way ]

is there any place within 50-75 miles that have good prices on firearms ???
i would love an online sales flyer if possible... just like gricegunshop

Last edited by towncarblue; February 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old February 4, 2014, 10:07 AM   #2
AK103K

If you live in central PA, you get used to going for a ride if youre looking for anything.

Shyda's in Lebanon is about as good as it gets in central PA, if your used to shops with a big selection and good prices. Thats probably about an hour and a half from you down 81.

Theres also Cabelas, which is about an hour in the same direction. Although you do have to watch their pricing. Just walking around in there will keep you busy too.

Youngs in Northumberland has a decent selection for a small shop. They are about an hour down 11 from you.

I live a half hour west of the Susquehanna, and out here, most shops are small and dont have much of an inventory. What inventory they do have, is geared more towards hunting too. Prices vary a good bit, and more often than not, arent always that great. Shyda's is an hour and a half from me as well, and I have yet to find anything like it for price or selection. Ive heard of Grices, just havent got out there yet.

If you go an hour and a half towards Philly, just south of Allentown, you will find a lot more shops with a bigger, wider selection, and a lot more variety. At least there, it wont feel like you wasted the gas driving around, although its congested and annoying driving wise.

Out here, more often than not, its often a disappointing drive, and the shops that are listed, often are no longer there or open, when you do get there. Id call first before you go. Still, central PA is very pretty if you like to drive.
Old February 4, 2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Try this, maybe?

http://www.yellowpages.com/wilkes-barre-pa/gun-shop

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 4, 2014, 05:26 PM   #4
g.willikers

For a place to shoot, check with wheretoshoot.org.
Old February 7, 2014, 11:48 AM   #5
burninghXcsoul

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

PA state game lands have shooting ranges on them that are free with a hunting license purchase. Check them out, there looks to be 2 in luzerne county. Also there is a ton of local rod and gun clubs where I live in PA, I would imagine there has to be some up there also.
Old February 7, 2014, 01:35 PM   #6
darkgael

PA

Try looking for Piestraks Gun Shop on Alden River Road.....just a few miles away, off route 29.
A bit farther away is Dixies Gun Shop in Hughesville....on the intersection of route 220 and South Main Street (PA 405). take PA118 west until 405 and turn right....220 comes in on the left about 1/4 mile up. There is a Gander Mt. in the Lycoming Mall.
Black powder and muzzleloaders...Dixons in Kempton, PA.
Ranges.....there are quite a few. Google PA Game Commission shooting ranges. Try this link as above:
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

Try Wilkes-Barre Rifle and Pistol Club in Hunlock Creek.
http://www.wbrp.net/
Further away but a marvelous facitlity (not that WBR&P isn't) is the North Mt. Sportsmans Club out off Route 220 in Muncy Valley
http://www.northmt.com

Last edited by darkgael; February 7, 2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old February 7, 2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm pretty sure that I bought a gun, my Model 24-3, actually, from Piestrak's.

That would have been via Auction Arms and about 10 or more years ago.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.