The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 16, 2013, 11:15 AM   #101
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Calling got the UN to investigate is a desperation measure, which to me proves that JJ knows the Feds can't/won't do anything. Sadly, the rabble rousers like Jackson and Sharpton just won't ever give up. They can't -- it's what keeps their names and faces in the news, and its "face time" that keeps the money rolling in.
Old July 16, 2013, 08:38 PM   #102
Bruno2

Location: Not saying b/c I dont want any of you crazy people to rob or kill me. Alright it's Tulsa , Oklahoma
It's their job Aguila. Take that from them and they are unemployed.

This Un reach sounds like JJ found out the DOJ did their homework and a civil rights or hate crime trial is a non starter.
Old July 17, 2013, 11:37 PM   #103
Daugherty16

Exactly what could the UN do on US soil?

interesting - i heard this too. So exactly what jurisdiction does the UN have? Can they compel testimony, order discovery, bring and prosecute charges - anything like a civil or criminal trial under our US legal system? would they bring suit within Federal Court? Could someone describe how they make an argument for having standing in such a case?
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old July 24, 2013, 02:16 PM   #104
Ben Towe

Quote:
interesting - i heard this too. So exactly what jurisdiction does the UN have? Can they compel testimony, order discovery, bring and prosecute charges - anything like a civil or criminal trial under our US legal system? would they bring suit within Federal Court? Could someone describe how they make an argument for having standing in such a case?
I can see no way that they could do anything. GZ is a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil. Any ruling they make would only be symbolic. The only catch I can see is that it might be possible for them to make it unsafe for him to travel outside U.S. jurisdiction.
Old July 25, 2013, 10:53 AM   #105
Glenn E. Meyer

We were discussing the realistic issue of civil suits. Unless the UN is actually involved (actually means really - not speculation or calls by folks that are also speculative), let's move away from that.

That's a hint.
Old July 19, 2014, 11:05 AM   #106
Bruno2

Location: Not saying b/c I dont want any of you crazy people to rob or kill me. Alright it's Tulsa , Oklahoma
A year has passed and no civil suits were filed. I wonder how long according to FL State law they have to get one filed?
Old July 19, 2014, 07:22 PM   #107
JohnKSa
Staff

As nearly as I can tell, in TX, the statute of limitations for a civil suit varies from 2 to 5 years depending on the type of action that generated the suit.
Old July 19, 2014, 07:30 PM   #108
KeeperOath

Then again, maybe the Martin Family & Friends came to their senses.
Old July 19, 2014, 07:38 PM   #109
mehavey

Quote:
"... maybe the Martin Family & Friends came to their senses...."
Almost irrelevant. The only decision point is that of the lawyers who might (or might not) think they can make money in a settlement.

Last edited by mehavey; July 20, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old July 21, 2014, 09:15 AM   #110
JimDandy

As more fall-out related discussion, does anyone have an update on the Prosecutor and the questionable ice she was skating on? Did anything come of that, or did her conduct (as was reported) even rise to the level of something worth something?