The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2010, 03:19 AM   #1
volz1911

trigger pull, which is best...very short and clean or slow and clean

i bought my M&P 15 tactical a few years ago, its had roughly 5000 rounds through it, and has had very tight groups, less then 1.5 inches at 100 yards with an EOTech sight on it, through almost all 5000 rounds and im just wondering since it still has a very short quick trigger on it if the short and quick trigger is better than a longer slower one. The trigger has no slack at all before it starts pulling and moves maybe a 1/16th of an inch before the hammer drops...never tried a longer trigger pull on it and when i am shooting a 5 round group it takes roughly 12 seconds to get 5 rounds in a 1.5inch circle. is that good or should i have a trigger with, more/less movement before the hammer drops?
Old November 10, 2010, 03:32 AM   #2
TeamSinglestack

In accordance with your description, a "short trigger" is the one to go with for the best results.

The longer it takes to break off the shot, the longer you are required to maintain the sight picture, and since we are human and not machine, we move, resulting in negative influences of the desired trajectory.

I prefer my triggers "short" and crisp, so I can get that round down range before I dork up my sight picture.
Old November 10, 2010, 08:53 AM   #3
demigod

If that's the stock, single stage trigger, leave it alone. It sounds like you're in sink with it. Don't mess it up with some aftermarket nonsense.
Old November 10, 2010, 09:19 AM   #4
kraigwy

It's not FAST, SHORT OR SLOW, the proper trigger control it SMOOTH.

Fast, slow or in between doesn't matter as long as its smooth.

Remember when the Army use to call it SQUEEZE? Making it a slow, surprise break. That is nice, and will work............to a point.

Lets look at the Army qualification course. Pop up targets to 300 meters. OK, how long are those close targets exposed? Not long, a couple seconds.

Now, concentrate on a squeeze, nice surprised break and what happens. The target goes down before you break the shot.

Same thing with Prairie Dog shooting. Little sucker pop out of the hole. You take aim, squeeze the trigger to get a nice surprised break and UT OH. The critter has scurried to the next hole or popped back in his hole. You have a couple seconds.

Fast or Slow, the answer is SMOOTH.

How do we get a smooth trigger break? Its all in position. You get a good, natural point of aim. You get a good spot weld, resting the full weight of your head on the stock, giving you the chipmunk cheek that will allow good sight alignment, while keeping the head as erect as possible. The shooting hand grips the pistol grip firmly. As if you would be shaking hands. Firmly but not overly tight. The trigger finger rest naturally on the trigger. Doesn't matter if its the pad, joint or what ever and long as the finger rest naturally. You don't want to artificially try to adjust your finger. Just let it lay where it ends up.

This will allow for a smooth trigger pull, straight back, without disturbing the sight alignment.

Best way to check this is dry firing. Get all lined up as described above. Good position, good NPA, good sight picture. good firm grip allowing your finger to naturally rest on the trigger. Then close your eyes, let the hammer fall. Open your eyes and see if you are still lined up on the target. If not then make the necessary adjustments and start all over.

Don't underestimate the value of dry firing, not only in position & natural point of aim, but SMOOTH TRIGGER PULL.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 10, 2010, 09:35 AM   #5
mete

Yes pull don't jerk the trigger .I can be a fast pull also as long as it's smooth.
Old November 18, 2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Terry A

Personally, I like a short & crisp trigger. I don't like long take-ups and I really dislike long resets.

Volz, I've never shot or even dry fired the S&W M&P, of any kind. But from your description of the trigger pull, it sounds like it's a great shooter.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 19, 2010, 02:12 AM   #7
kraigwy

Quote:
When adrenaline is flowing it won't make any difference
That's where training and practice comes in.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2010, 12:05 PM   #8
booker_t

Short & crisp trigger mechanism... compliments a proper trigger squeeze.

Tags
volz1911