The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 10, 2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Abel

How to Build a 30-30 Bolt Action?

I see a few Rem. 788's chambered for 30-30. What's the best way to go about building a similar rifle?
Old December 10, 2009, 07:00 PM   #2
badlander

The 30-30 is A great lever gun cartridge. Not sure I would want it in A bolt gun. Why would you want to go to the expense of building A 30-30 bolt.
Not trying to be A smart A$$ just curious.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:39 PM   #3
hickstick_10

you get the full accuracy potential out of a bolt gun for the 3030 class. ever shot a 3030 with spitzers out of a bolt gun? it turns into a whole different animal.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:42 PM   #4
tINY

Why not chamber for 300 savage or 7.62x39?

The rim on the 30-30 is going to be an issue in a 700 magazine.

-tINY

Old December 10, 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
kwells6

enfield actions might be the way to go...

now, you can always get a NEF handi rifle in 30-30 and fire whatever you want from it...
Old December 10, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Picher

I would never consider the 30-30 for a bolt rifle for the following reasons:

1. It's a rimmed cartridge that may not feed well.

2. It's a very weak case that can rupture after a few reloads, especially if the re-sizing die isn't very carefully adjusted to headspace on the shoulder instead of the rim.

3. Did I say it's a rimmed cartridge that may not feed well?

4. There are many other cartridges that do a better job at either performance or accuracy, or both.

5. It's a weak, rimmed case that may not feed well in a bolt action.

That said, if none of this matters and you never want to sell the rifle (nobody will want it besides you), go for it!
Old December 10, 2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Big Bill

I've got a 30-30 bolt action carbine. It's a Stevens - Savage Arms Corp. Model 325 C. I'm going to get some 30-30 Hornady Leverevolution ammo for it. It's sure a cool little gun. It'd work great for a youngster first time hunter. Mine is in a little better condition than the one in the picture below. It belonged to my wife's father and will never be for sale.

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; December 10, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:30 PM   #8
fast-eddie

30-30

I had a savage 30-30 boltgun. I never had an issue with it until the mag spring came out. I traded it shortly after, I though I needed more gun. I wish I had that sucker again. You would be better off finding one of the Savage 30-30 rifles to be honest, it'll save a buch of money.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:57 PM   #9
fisherman66

It will be much easier to find a Model 54, Savage 840 or Rem 788 than to deal with converting a bolt meant to feed rimless, not to mention extracting.

Quote:
you can always get a NEF handi rifle in 30-30 and fire whatever you want from it...
I thought about going there, but decided to save my pokes for sum other time. A 30/30 or even a 7/30 Water's would be a sweet little meat gitter in a Handi though.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:02 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
4. There are many other cartridges that do a better job at either performance or accuracy, or both.
Not everyone wants 'better performance'; and there is no evidence that any particular style of cartridge is more inherently accurate than another.
Sometimes, the chosen cartridge is exactly what the person wants.

Quote:
1. It's a rimmed cartridge that may not feed well.

3. Did I say it's a rimmed cartridge that may not feed well?
It may not feed well in a stock magazine. However, with modifications, that argument can be thrown out the window. Ever heard of a Mosin Nagant 91/30? M38? M44? Enfield? Winchester 1895? The list goes on...

Rather than telling the poor guy that it's a lost cause; how about explaining what would be involved? That was what he was asking about, anyway.

Abel:
You're looking at major magazine modifications, a bolt face 'opening', extractor/ejector modifications, and a rebarrel job; at minimum. Done cheaply, you'd have probably $500-700 into the rifle, after the purchase price.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:17 PM   #11
Ryanfromcanada

I would think that an enfieldwould be a cool little 30-30

Take a no4 mk1 action re barrel
i dont know about the base dimensions
modifiy the magazine
Old December 10, 2009, 10:57 PM   #12
Abel

Quote:
Not everyone wants 'better performance'; and there is no evidence that any particular style of cartridge is more inherently accurate than another.
Sometimes, the chosen cartridge is exactly what the person wants.
How very correct you are sir.

Quote:
Rather than telling the poor guy that it's a lost cause; how about explaining what would be involved? That was what he was asking about, anyway.
Again, spot on. I got the idea from this fine rifle:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=149358619

How would one arrive at such a beautiful whitetail thumper?
Old December 10, 2009, 11:12 PM   #13
tjh

Have a 30/30 in a savage bolt action ,I've been thinking of selling . Had some 125gr. hollow points loaded up for it to shoot varmints . If interested p.m. me and I'll think a little harder .
Old December 10, 2009, 11:20 PM   #14
Fat White Boy

I inherited a bolt action .30-30 Savage Model 340 from my dad. It works fine. I made up some loads using 110gr bullets that get up over 2500fps. I also put a fixed power 4X scope on it. It is a ton of fun! No feed problems so far...
Old December 11, 2009, 05:04 AM   #15
CajunBass

I used to see those 30/30 Savage/Stevens rifles in the Sears catalog when I was a kid. Man I wanted one of them (they were less expensive than the 30/30 lever guns). I figured I could kill a deer a mile away with one of those. All I had to do was (1) come up with the money, probably about $75.00 or so then, and (2) convince my mother to order it from Sears (pre-GCA-68). I never got one because I lived in a "shotgun only" county, and my mother thought that rifles would kill people 100 miles away if you just owned one. You didn't even have to shoot it. Shotguns were ok though.

And of course $75.00 back then might as well have been a million.

I halfway think if I ever get the chance I'll buy one just because some poor country kid used to want one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 11, 2009, 03:44 PM   #16
tINY

With that Frankenmauser as inspiration, get out a dremmel tool and go to town. Maybe you can fit a barrel from a mod 94.

It'd be really cool if you can get it to feed from a tube magazine....

-tINY

Old December 11, 2009, 03:54 PM   #17
azredhawk44

In talking to an "old-timer" on a different forum that stresses Rifle marksmanship, he revealed to me that his father used to shoot a .30-30 bolt action in benchrest competitions. For a while, it enjoyed extreme popularity with the benchrest crowd. Long barrel life due to the ~30gr capacity and .308 bore diameter.

I've never loaded up my Win94 with 168 BTHP's to see what it could do, especially since the rifle seems to be designed to shoot 170gr flatpoints with extremely long bearing surface against the rifling.

But, I'd bet a .30-30 barrel with a "little bit" faster twist than a 1:11 standard match M14 barrel (perhaps 1:10? 1:9? something to stabilize the heavy bullet at slower velocities but give it increased rotational speed for that velocity) would shoot extremely well until it went subsonic.

I say go for it! For awhile, one of my harebrained schemes was to gut a Romanian PSL and convert it from 7.62x54R to .30-30. Heck, it can handle a rimmed cartridge too. Half my work is already done.
Old December 11, 2009, 07:55 PM   #18
crowbeaner

When it comes to the thutty-thutty I like WW brass, WW primers, 34.5 of WW 748 and a Sierra 150 flatpoint ProHunter bullet. Works every time; a Handi rifle in 30/30 could be reamed out for 30/30 AI and then you really have a gun.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:31 PM   #19
LollerCopter

aw man i love these lever rifles. just make sure ur not tearing up a marlin or winchester and trying to make it a bolt. I dunno but if savage has one of these i'd deffinetly look at their parts if this is what u want, maybe throw on a custom wood design or whatever u know. never heard of a savage 30-30 though.
Old December 12, 2009, 12:42 AM   #20
LafeHubert

I had a Remington 788 in .30-30 and it was a great rifle. Loading the .30-30 with 150 grain spire point bullets makes it an entirely different cartridge. A .30-30 150 gn SP makes a great deer rifle for women and others who are recoil sensitive. The solid lock up of the Remington resolved the problem of premature case failure, made scoping quite easy, and the combo was extremely accurate. Some jerk broke into my truck when I stopped for coffee on my way down the hill and took the Remington. I have never found a replacement, and if I find one I will buy it on the spot.

"Always place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark" Lazarus Long
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old December 12, 2009, 02:47 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

Interesting combination...

Quote:
How would one arrive at such a beautiful whitetail thumper?
You may have missed my reply. It blends into my signature.. kind of...

Quote:
Abel:
You're looking at major magazine modifications, a bolt face 'opening', extractor/ejector modifications, and a rebarrel job; at minimum. Done cheaply, you'd have probably $500-700 into the rifle, after the purchase price.
If you want something along the lines of that post... you're looking at a pretty penny more.
My namesake "Franken Mauser" was destined to become a .35 Whelen. Done cheaply, I was looking at about $450; including an absolutely bland 'factory second' stock. Done the way I wanted.... The estimated total was pushing about $3k.

(The FrankenMauser turned out to have two cracks in the action. Now it rests silently, in the back of my gun cabinet. )
Old December 12, 2009, 03:13 AM   #22
Lawyer Daggit

I have a TC contender carbine that I 'Ackley improved' so that I cannot mix its loads with a Win 94 that I also own.

In a bolt action or single shot the .30-30 is a completely different animal to what it is in a lever action. I commend your choice.
Old December 12, 2009, 03:22 AM   #23
Lawyer Daggit

I have a TC contender carbine that I 'Ackley improved' so that I cannot mix its loads with a Win 94 that I also own.

In a bolt action or single shot the .30-30 is a completely different animal to what it is in a lever action. I commend your choice.
Old December 12, 2009, 03:28 AM   #24
Lawyer Daggit

Old December 12, 2009, 05:18 AM   #25
Saguaro Firearms

30-30 class with spitzer bullets? how about a savage 99? ive also got a savage bolt gun in 30-30 i believe its a savage 340a ive been trying to get rid of it for a while, if anyone is interested.