The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 12, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Newton24b

whats more important

when you load bp metalic cartridges, doyou go more for powder charge, compression consistency or for crimping?

im curious because im thining on building myself a modified loading rig, and im wondering what the more compettive mindied shooters here are into.

also, is anyone interested in the idea of a rolling device for paper cartridges?
Old November 12, 2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I weigh my powder charge.
I compress with a die, not by squashing the bullet down on the powder.
I don't crimp (although some do.)

Bullet quality counts for a whole lot; I am now buying the best I can find but will resume casting next year.

I don't shoot a papercutter and have no need for paper cartridges.

A revival of the old Borchardt machine to paper patch bullets would be nice, though.
Old November 12, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

I load 44-40s on a Hornady lock and load progressive press with RCBS dies. My loads are as consistent as it will produce. Powder measure is set for 26gr, seating/crimping die is set to produce a heavy crimp.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 13, 2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Model-P

All of the above. Slight compression on the powder charge, and a fairly heavy crimp. Consistency is always key to optimal results no matter what.

If the bullet seater is shaped exactly to the shape of the bullet, then you can use the bullet to compress the charge while seating. However, if your seater does not properly fit your bullets (most do not), then it is best to pre-compress the charge as Jim does, especially when using soft lead, as you should be with black powder. Otherwise, the nose of the bullet with be deformed.