The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
DasGuy

Old school meets new school

I decided to fix up the old Mossberg 500 my brother gave me a few years ago.

Here's how it turned out:

-Changed to a bantam stock because the LOP on the standard one is too long for me
-Single point sling mount
-Tac Star side saddle
-Brownells Mossberg 500 "high capacity" shotgun kit. I love this kit, if it was 18" instead of 20" with 1 shell capacity less, it would have been perfect. I wanted rifle sights because I intend to do more slug shooting.
-Surefire 623LM I never thought I'd buy one of these, because they're pretty expensive. But since the gun was free, I didn't feel too bad putting a little more money into it than I normally would. I love the ergos and function of it.

I sold the original furniture and a barrel on eBay so I only ended up putting $250 into this project, which is less than I could have bought a new Mossberg for around here.

Old May 1, 2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Haz251

Sure is sexy! I'm not tryin to force my opinion or knock you or anything but if the standard LOP was to much for you then you may wanna look at doing a 2 point sling. IMO, which is low on the totem pole keep in mind, shotguns are a lil big and heavy for a single point sling but it may work for you. In any manner that's still a nice lookin scatter gun and a hell oh a deal on your end. CONGRATS
Old May 1, 2013, 12:44 AM   #3
DasGuy

The single point sling is just to keep it attached to me if I ever have to use it for home defense.
Old May 1, 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Haz251

Oh ok. Be careful if you ever run with it dangling though. Smack the hell out of your shin or it will come back up and catch you in the crotch.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Corrections Cop

Nice set up! I got a single point sling on my Mossberg, and it is a bit heavy, but for HD I think it would work great.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Cary

Where did you get that stock? That is one of the better looking wood stocks I have seen on a Mossberg shotgun. It looks like it has some real character to the wood grain. So many I have seen are so plain they almost look like synthetic wood or something. Looks like you ended up with a very nice gun. I have a Mossberg 500C (20ga) with the 18" barrel and really like it. Mine has the black plastic stock.
Cary
Old May 3, 2013, 12:55 PM   #7
DasGuy

I got the stock from havlinsales.com. Click on "web specials" on the left. It was just over $30 shipped.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:40 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

FWIW...

Magpul, www.Magpul.com now has a new line of Mossberg 500/590 series shotgun stocks.

James "Tactical Response" Yeager posted a short review on www.youtube.com .

ClydeFrog
Old May 4, 2013, 10:08 AM   #9
DasGuy

I'm a Magpul whore for just about anything AR15. Their shotgun stocks are extremely ugly, imo.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Slugo

Nice job!!
Old May 6, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11
breakingcontact

Hey...why not! Enjoy it!
Old May 6, 2013, 03:48 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

Post #9, pistol grip shotgun stocks...

I'm not big on shotguns & rifles but I did hear that many tactics & armed professionals put down the pistol grips & pistol grip stocks.
I could see the merit of a shotgun pistol grip style stock for last ditch or CQB type incidents.
I like the Knoxx type but the MagPul line looks practical too. It won't win any beauty contests but it will; "ride the river".

ClydeFrog
Old May 8, 2013, 12:10 AM   #13
Chowder

I have to say over all I like it! I am not all that into tactical looking shotguns so I like the wood stock. And as far as aesthetics the surefire detracts a bit in my opinion, but I do like the on off switch built into the for end. Seems very intuitive to train with so I say its a winner. Also, you cant beat the price you have into it looks like a fun project and a handy shotgun!