The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2001, 07:59 AM   #1
CSOs ROCK

Not that I'm going to buy one now...
but I'm looking at a Remington 870 and was wondering what kind would be the best.

I don't plan on using it for hunting or anything like that.
I was thinking more along the lines of home defense or possibly for use in a law enforcement future.
Best value for the buck?

Any suggestions?
What kind and why
Old January 20, 2001, 11:18 AM   #2
lunde

I just bought a Remington 870 Express Home Defense shotgun for about $250. It's a great bargain. The only caveat is that you'll need to drill/dremel out a couple of dimples that prevent magazine tube extensions from being attached. Not difficult work, though. You can always get a Police model (if you can find one) or the Magnum Marine, but you'll be spending about twice as much.

Old January 20, 2001, 03:48 PM   #3
urban assault

I have a Remington 870 Police. Very nice weapon. I put a full-length "SpeedFeed" pistol grip black synthetic stock on and love it. Other additions I have made... "TacStar" vertical foregrip, 3-round mag extension, ghost rings, and a ventilated steel barrel heat-shield, oversized safety and Hi-visibilty follower. I plan to put a "Sure-Fire" light on soon. Do I need all this extra crap on my gun? Probably not... But it sure makes it fun to shoot! This shotgun sits next to my bed loaded with slugs and 00 buckshot. We feel pretty damn safe at night.
PS- I didnt have to drill out any dimple in the mag tube, the mag extension just screwed in.

michael
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife... And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next!" - Gladiator

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
Old January 20, 2001, 06:15 PM   #4
lunde

The Remington 870 "Police" models (and the "Magnum Marine") don't have those dimples on the magazine tube, which explains why you had no difficulty. I'll need to have the dimples in mine removed. BTW, the cheapest place from which to order the Sure-Fire Responder is Botach Tactical, at $153: http://www.botachtactical.com/
Old January 21, 2001, 09:21 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Police turnins are the best value, if they can be found. Check your local shops to find which handles the local Dept's rotations.

Cruiser guns get carried much and shot little. Occasionally a training weapon that has been fired thousands of rounds and cleaned by lackadaisical rookies comes up, but by and large turnins have scars outside but pristines interiors.

Downside...

Civilians have little input on how much abuse, neglect and downright ignorance happen to Dept weaponry. One reason the 870 is well nigh universal is the incredible amount of abuse they'll soak up and still work.

And, while the bells and whistles are nice to have, a stock, used or new, riot bbled 870 is one great close range defensive weapon.

Hope this helps..