The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 4, 2014, 07:30 PM   #1
edteach

Question for those knowledgeable on Civil war Sharps

I have a Sharps I am looking at buying. Its a 1863 carbine and it has double cartouch on the stock under the ring bar. But it does not have sub inspector marks on the barrel or sling bar plate or other small parts. Does anyone know about these marks? I had two Sharps and they had these sub inspector marks on both. Did Sharps make civilian versions during the war? But then how would the wood get cartouch marks on them. Any help appreciated.
Old April 4, 2014, 07:33 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

From the top of my head (and without going to my library)

Demand was very high for Sharps rifle. Ripley didn't like the idea of retooling the Sharps factor for infantry Sharps. It would slow down Sharps production as the company converted the production line from carbine, to rifle and back to carbine. I doubt if Sharps had any time for civilian guns.

Mind you, Sharps made civilian guns before the war and after the war. Your Sharps could have a replacement parts that weren't marked?

Post pictures if you can.
Old April 4, 2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Hawg

I imagine at some point a civilian rifle was restocked with a military stock.
Old April 5, 2014, 08:13 AM   #4
bedbugbilly

It's been many years since I've handled an original Sharps. . . can't remember . . . are they serial numbered? If so . . any indication on the DOB of the one you're looking at? Is there any possibility it was at the "tail end" of production and parts on hand used up to assemble - thus some might have sub inspector marks and some might not?

Not a whole lot different than the Colt 1872 "open tops" which started out with Navy Frames (this was at the tail end of 1851 Navy production) - and then Army frames used.

Just a thought . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 6, 2014, 07:27 AM   #5
edteach

Here are the photos. Seller said they would take 4200 for it shipped. I have made a mistake and sold my sharps in not this good of condition during the recession for quick cash to pay bills. These seem to sell off as fast as they come on the market. I sold my carbine I bought from Dixie gun works for 2500 and it was like selling a child. I have worked to get back on my feet and now have a bit of expendable cash to invest. From what I see this is not a steal at this price but its not a rip off either. Only the very flawed ones seem to go for 2500 or 2800 I.E cracked stocks, missing parts heavy rust. ect. Here are some photos , it has a nice double cartouch and that is military acceptance. The run of sharps was I think 25000 according to Flaydamas for the 63 carbine. This one is not over the 100000 mark as it has no C. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qa1.jpg (23.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cartouch saddle ring close up.jpg (59.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg shaprs breach open.jpg (69.3 KB, 24 views)
Old April 6, 2014, 07:28 AM   #6
edteach

More photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shapps barrel address.jpg (37.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg shaprs right side.jpg (33.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sharps left close up.jpg (49.9 KB, 14 views)
Old April 6, 2014, 07:29 AM   #7
edteach

few more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharps left side breach.jpg (51.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg sharps left side butt stock.jpg (40.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg sharps under shot.jpg (30.4 KB, 10 views)
Old April 7, 2014, 05:17 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

That thing...

is in nice shape.

I know nothing about the value of such a rifle.

But last year I found a relic condition paper cutter in an LGS. It still functioned fairly well but was not shootable. I gave 200.00 for it and quickly put it on the gunbroker. Had several bidders wanting it and it finally went for 650.00.

Condition of the one in the photos is ten times better than the barn relic I had.