The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Silver00LT

Your opinion on reloading components

Well its been a LONG 6 month shortage, but today Rainier 115 bullets became available so I bought 1k of them...bringing my LOW on hand back up to nearly 1500 bullets of this brand.

I have a bulk lot of Hornady 100gr bullets that I never reload and I am debating on selling them to purchase primers and powder which I REALLY need. I'm around .8 lbs left of both powders.

So should I sell the bullets or keep them. IMO I think components will start becoming more available, but at the same time who knows in todays political crosshairs on gun owners.

If I keep them my 9mm bullet count will be at 1758 bullets...yes I'm OCD I have a spreadsheet taped to my reloading desk with a complete inventory of everything.

Opinions? I have no problem selling them to help out another reloader though.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:04 PM   #2
RC20

In the scheme of things, a couple of hundred won't make any difference.

If not using them sell and buy the desired items.

Draw a red line that if you get below 300 you don't shoot them recreationaly until you restock.

The madness will end, but its going to take a bit of time. I am thinking another 6 months.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

Once components return to a point you can select what you want again, I suggest working on keeping at least a 1 year supply on hand at all times. When the next shortage comes and it will, you will be in a better position to wait for things to become available again.

The only thing I was caught short of this time around is bullets. I probably will have enough to make it when they are available again but I'm going to be cutting it close. I think in the future I will have to consider stocking for 2 years. It will give me a full year before I have to start thinking about rationing.

A good thing about stocking up is your price per round is locked in with the price you paid at that time. I would just hold on to what you have now and look to find a way to get what you need. There are signs some items may be coming available in a few months. I just hope it doesn't go much beyond the end of the year.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:34 PM   #4
noylj

People loading .380 Auto would love the 100gn bullets.
I could be snarky and suggest paying more attention to the news and what the folk in Washington are up to.
I am not a stockpiler or hoarder, but I made sure before the election that I at least 1 year worth of primers, bullets, and powder--and wish I had bought more.
It is getting lonely at the range...
Old May 3, 2013, 03:02 AM   #5
Silver00LT

I haven't shot since December. I got lucky on my yearly qualification for military qualification. 30/30 for both left and right handed fire. Then again its a Beretta and my pistol is a Glock.

I do miss the joys of reloading, but with me not going to the range everything is just sitting there, but its THERE if I need it. Just need more of certain items.

Attached is my current stock of reloading components.

I also agree this is a trend, but I do not think it will wait 3 years this go around. I am relocating to a different area to reload and I am going to have some more storage area for components.
Attached Images
File Type: png reloadingdata.png (33.3 KB, 63 views)
Old May 3, 2013, 05:36 AM   #6
LE-28

I would keep them all, I have around 5k-6K of bullets alone in each caliber, twice that of primers, and around 28lbs of powder, and it doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't cost you anything to let them sit until you need them.

I always keep a year or more of primers and powder, I can always cast my own bullets and have about 300lbs of lead sitting in the shed.

Because I keep a decent stock of supplies I coasted through the last two shortages, and so far I am coasting through this one.

And noylj is completely right, it is getting very lonely at the range. Only us seasoned reloaders that know to keep supplies are still shooting.

The range is out of ammo also, it's eerie quiet in there.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Silver00LT

Well thought I was going to the range today as I had the day off...nope.

I'll hold onto them for now until a reloader is desperate(without overpaying).
Old May 3, 2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Big4Freedom

I was in a similar boat with the 2000 100gr Hornady bullets I recently located and purchased for 9mm reloading, since I couldn't get any larger ones, 124-147ish. I tried 10-20 of them and it was just isn't a good bullet for 9mm but I'm gonna hold on to them for when I begin .380's. It will be perfect for that caliber. This bullet in the 9MM is just too short and doesn't seat well, making them too dangerous, IMHO. I've since been loading some 124 fmj's I just located and they've worked flawlessly.
Old May 3, 2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Big4Freedom

I was chuckling a bit about a prev post regarding the range being a lonely place. A few days ago, it was rainy so I went to indoor, local range that used to be packed with spent cases all over the floor. This visit, I was only one and the floor was clean enough to eat off. The days of leaving brass behind are long over I think...I found myself crawling around on hands and knees like I lost a contact or something trying to get every case.
Old May 3, 2013, 03:38 PM   #10
serf 'rett

Statement A:
Quote:
I have a bulk lot of Hornady 100gr bullets that I never reload
Statement B:
Quote:
So should I sell the bullets or keep them.
Simple logic is if Statement A is true; i.e., that you NEVER reload them, then I see no benefit in keeping them. Sell them and get something you do need - powder, primers, etc.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Mike40-11

Quote:
...you NEVER reload them, then I see no benefit in keeping them
Yes, but you MIGHT someday.... Every reloader who has components and/or equipment for calibers that don't fit any firearms you own, raise your hand. You never know, I might wind up with a .22 Hornet one of these days....

In all seriousness, depends on what your definition of bulk is. If you have 5000 and have no plans to load them, I'd try to trade them for something you want. If it's a few hundred, eh, you never know...
Old May 3, 2013, 05:49 PM   #12
serf 'rett

I think he has 500 bullets (if I read the sheet correctly)

We will continue the logic lesson.

If the word "never" in Statement A is true then the opening poster should sell the bullets. The term "never" is clear, in my way of thinking, to mean it hasn't happened, ain't happening and won't ever happen; therefore, the 500 bullets are of little current use in their original intended function as bullets.

Case closed!

However, if the opening poster used an incorrect word, being "never" in this case, when what he meant to say was actually:

1. I haven't loaded any of these bullets to date…or
2. I haven’t loaded any to date but was planning on loading them later…or
3. They were given to me and I haven’t figured out what to do with them yet…or
4. They are being used as a paper weight…or
5. I get my kicks out of having something which is hard to find at the present…or...
6. (Insert most any statement here)

Well, then “never” was a poor choice of words as it does not accurately describe future intent concerning the aforementioned Hornady bullets and thereby could significantly change the perceived value of same. It boils down it value. Are the bullets in hand worth more than the need for powder and primers?

Silver00LT, when you gaze into your crystal ball, do you see neat rows of cartridges with the shining Hornady bullets appearing in your misty future? Only your crystal ball can give you a hint to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

One last item Silver00LT, seeing you are from the great state of Alabama, is your ammo dyed crimson (Roll Tide) or orange and blue (War Eagle)?

Last edited by serf 'rett; May 3, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Silver00LT

Whoops obviously my proof reading at 2AM sucks...can't even spell Hornady on my reload sheet.

serf - My never is "never planned on loading 100s, but it was the only bullet available" and I was below my 300 threshold. Never planned on going lower than 115gr for a 9mm as thats the lightest I'm comfortable shooting and reloading with. I purchased the 100s as a emergency reload if I needed rounds made up to protect myself.

I only purchased the lot of 100gr due to me being below 300 of my 115gr and there were ALL out of stock. I think I waited a solid 4 months from Midway for the 115gr Rainier bullets to come back in stock. The 100gr was like a last resort to reloading for ammo NEEDED(in a crisis moment, etc). I paid 16¢ for them so if I sell them it'll be for 16¢ ea. Not in it for profit.

Last thing I want to do is sell them and be like DARN IT during a shortage, but I am critical on powder and primers so was looking to see how other reloaders were handling tough decisions during a shortage. We have a Buy Sell Bulletin and there was a individual with 2k primers(for $60) and he would not even do a dead even trade with me. He would of came out on top even as a reseller.

Oh the football note - I am not a die hard fan. I watch and go for BOTH teams...now when they go against each other I bet on the better statistic team. I've gone to more AU tailgate Saturdays though.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Misssissippi Dave

If you are still looking to get more 9 mm bullets you might want to start checking Montana Gold Bullet Co. website daily. http://montanagoldbullet.com/index.php/
They have been having some bullets available. The ones I have seen are 9 mm JHP and .357 Sig JHP bullets. The .357 Sig are 125 grain rather than 124 grain of the 9 mm. These are designed for accuracy and not expansion. The prices have gone up but I received my last order in under 10 days. Shipping is free. I prefer to buy by the case. This is about 3750 per case. They do sell in lots of 1000 but you wind up paying more per bullet. I believe they are limiting how many you can purchase at one time.

I also have a few different powders I have tried with 9 mm so I have a better chance of getting a powder I can use. I have loaded 9 mm with AA2 ( not a great choice), AA5, AA7, W231, WSF, WST, 700X (doesn't measure well in my powder measure) and VV 3n37 (expensive). These I can work with. I prefer AA5 and WST depending on the bullet used. I have tried a few loads with magnum primers if I can only get those I could work with them. Most of my loads are mild enough to make do.

I played around some with different components while they were easily available so when times like this come I can easily adjust.

I would have gotten very worried long ago if I got down to the level of components you have on hand now. I tend to think in thousands. Progressive presses are very hungry machines.

I shoot to reload more often than not.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Silver00LT

I bookmarked that website...THANKS! Only powders I've used are H414 and W231.

I prefer ball powder as it throws consistent on my Lee Perfect Powder measure.

Primers & powder I prefer to get local to avoid HazMat. I need to get off my tail and do some cross referencing powders so I can start purchasing them.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:34 PM   #16
Misssissippi Dave

The AA powders are ball type powders.

AA2 is a fast powder and will work for light loads.
AA5 as mentioned is one I like for 124 grain FMJ.
AA7 is good when you want to load near or at the top end.
WSF will work well from mid range to top end.
WST is something you won't find published any longer in manuals for 9mm. Using it is close to or at a compressed load depending on the load. I like it with 115 grain FMJ and JHP loads for the range. It makes an accurate load. It is a mild clean burning load. The only down side is you have to slow down when loading on a progressive press or you spill powder.
VV does work very well but the cost is much higher.

These powders do work well in most any powder measure. There are other powders you can use as well but these I have used in the past couple years. I have loaded several thousands of all these except for VV powder. I load an average of 1000 9 mm rounds a month.

If you have lots of time to wait, you can order bullets from PD. They have about 16 to 18 weeks backlog at the moment. I have used their bullets and do have at least 6k of just 9 mm bullets due to come in sometime this year.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php

Their hollow point jacketed bullets are also designed for accuracy and not expansion.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Uncle Buck

Quote:
Once components return to a point you can select what you want again, I suggest working on keeping at least a 1 year supply on hand at all times. When the next shortage comes and it will, you will be in a better position to wait for things to become available again.
Thats what I did with the last shortage. I can tuff it out for another year.

Quote:
It is getting lonely at the range...
And the folks that are there either complain about the price they just paid for their ammo, or they are reloaders who had the foresight to stock up.
Old May 4, 2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Misssissippi Dave

Lately it is getting harder to find people at the range not already into reloading. People, that shoot factory ammo only, seem to be a rare breed these days. It is also getting much harder to find any brass beyond what I bring to take home to load again.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Silver00LT

I've ran into people who were just hoarding brass to make money. There's a old gentleman who goes to the range to pick up brass when he's not shooting.

We swap brass when we have it, but the range has been dry for months. I should of started picking brass up when I started going to the range.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:47 PM   #20
homesick

In answer to not using some supplies if never is never them trade or sell them. I've posted a few things at our gun club most have sold in a short time. What I've found for supplies recently compared to even 4 weeks ago is much improved. Living in central Florida allows one to attend many gun shows and I do. Loading supplies are lighter and a bit more expensive but still much cheaper then factory ammo. The only thing completely out of line IMO is rim fire ammo (80 to 100 $ for a box of 525 and folks are buying it).
Old May 6, 2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Silver00LT

Going to sell them to use the cash for powder and primers. Thanks for the input everyone.

I stopped by Bass Pro Shops...they only had Superformance and Reloader 19. As I did not know about those powders I just grabbed the remaining bags of 9MM brass and left.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:42 PM   #22
noylj

>Well its been a LONG 6 month shortage, but today Rainier 115 bullets became available so I bought 1k of them...bringing my LOW on hand back up to nearly 1500 bullets of this brand.

Why did you ONLY buy 1000? Is that all you'll need for a year or so?
Things aren't going to suddenly get better--maybe not until 2015-2016, if we are lucky...
Old May 6, 2013, 11:10 PM   #23
Silver00LT

1k is the Max allowed per purchase. Thinking about making a 2nd midway account. lol