The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Sky Master

Bulge in case after loading 230gr FMJ .45acp

I'm getting a bulge on one side of the case after loading Winchester 230gr .45acp. with my Dillon 650XL. Off center seating. I've sized and seated using Lyman dies and Lee dies. The Lee sizer and seating dies are producing a less pronouce bulge than the Lyman, but it is still there. It makes no difference using R-P, Win or PMC cases. The case is flared enough as the bullet sits on the case. The expander that is part of the powder station measures .448 for use on a .451 bullet. Under sized expander? I'm using a round nose seating stem in the seating die. The spring guide at station 2 is pressing up against the case to keep the case against the shell holder. There is no problem with the .40 S&W or 9mm I'm loading in the 650XL.
Old July 26, 2011, 02:24 PM   #2
jonboyc

Is it a bulge like its just formed to the bullet? I was always told with auto pistol rounds the tight fit of the case acts as the crimp and produces a distinctive outline of the bullet on the case. All my cases have this and they've all shot just fine.
Old July 26, 2011, 02:33 PM   #3
brickeyee

Quote:
I was always told with auto pistol rounds
With ANY round.

Case tension is what hold the bullet in place.

Cases are sized so the ID is a few thousandths smaller than the bullet, and the bullet then stretches the brass to create case tension (often refereed to as neck tension in bottle necked cases).
Old July 26, 2011, 02:47 PM   #4
mehavey

Quote:
I'm getting a bulge on one side of the case....
Pull the die apart an clean the heck out of it to ensure there isn't some grease nudging the bullet to one side as it seats. (Is it always the same side relative to the die?)

-- and --

What kind of seater-die top punch (shape) are you using? I can't think of any other reasons for an off-center bulge

Last edited by mehavey; July 26, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:28 PM   #5
aiming fluid

I chased this same problem, and what resolved it for me was this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=340927

along with this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=734166

Absolute perfection every time now.

Try the Lyman M-die first, much cheaper and will likely resolve or improve your alignment. If it's not enough, then get the Redding competition seating die to go with it.
Old July 26, 2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Sky Master

Lyman M Die won't work as Dillon XL650 requires use of their expander powder drop thru on Dillon toolhead. The Lee dies are new, so their not dirty at all. It seems that the bullets are seating off center. I may have to call Dillon.
Old July 26, 2011, 06:57 PM   #7
aiming fluid

My apologies Sky Master, I did not know you needed the flow thru die. I don't own a Dillon but I hear wonderful things about their customer service. For sure, give them a call and they can work their magic.
Old July 26, 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
chris in va

Careful with the flare. I had a bit too much and the bullets seated off center.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Sky Master

I was wondering about too much flare also. I'll try reducing it a bit, if it still seats off center I'll call Dillon.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Civil War Life

I just started reloading 9mm and had the same problem. The dies were new and clean. I checked Midway for the expander die for 9mm and couldn't find one. Does anyone know who might have this? Thanks.

TT
Old July 26, 2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Nosparetime

Have a round in all stations. Loosen lock rings on the dies. Fully engage your handle. Tighten your lock rings. This will help center all the dies. If you don't have all your stations full when you tighten you will sometimes get off center.

It is normal to have some bulge from the bullet and it will often show on one side.

Does it fit your case gauge or barrel. If so don't worry about it.

A friend of mine is an aircraft mechanic and he was having the same problem and it was driving him crazy as he is a perfectionist. It was just visual and they functioned and shot just fine. His were lead bullets so it was even worse than FMJ would be.
Old July 27, 2011, 02:25 PM   #12
243winxb

Quote:
Under sized expander?
Yes. .448" is undersize. Add spring back of the brass and it more. Try for a .450" If on seating a bullet, the sized case expands by .002", you will have plenty of neck tension.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Sky Master

Put a round in all stations, loosened lock nuts raised and retighted lock nuts, also reduced flare. Result, no bulge from off seated bullets.
Thanks
Old August 3, 2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Nosparetime

Your welcome!
Old August 3, 2011, 10:29 AM   #15
Miata Mike

Good to see a nice simple solution!
Old August 3, 2011, 12:28 PM   #16
maillemaker

I will have to try this. I have also been seeing a bulge in my .45ACP. I even bought the Lee "finishing" die to try and smooth them out after they are loaded.

For me, the bulge causes problems on extraction, as the extracted case rim sometimes catches on the bulge.

Steve
Old August 3, 2011, 02:15 PM   #17
brickeyee

Quote:
Put a round in all stations, loosened lock nuts raised and retighted lock nuts, also reduced flare. Result, no bulge from off seated bullets.
The sloppy die threads do not do a thing to improve accuracy or consistency.

Making sure the die is square to the ram (takes some of the slop out of the die-press threads) does help.

If you have the die squared up better, you can use an o-rung to hold the shell holder in the ram and let the holder float to align as the case enters the die.

Probably not that important for pistol ammo, but reduced run-out helps with high accuracy rifles.
Old August 11, 2011, 01:09 PM   #18
Civil War Life

I have just started reloading 9mm and had the same bulge. I only loaded about 50 rounds. Just bought a new S&W 9mm M&P Compact. Took it out to the range last night and fired my 50 rounds and about 50 mil issue rounds. My rounds were actually more accurate and caused no problem either feeding or extracting. There was no bulge on the fired cases. I have ordered the Lyman M die though and will try it out to see if the bulge is gone.

Love this gun.