The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you ever been shot at?
Yes 96 45.28%
No 116 54.72%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 11, 2010, 03:19 AM   #1
Firepower!

Have you ever been shot at?

Hi
I would to know if you have ever been shot at? What was your response? Were you hit, if so, with what caliber and what were the circumstances? In your experience what should one do when shot? Any first aide tips before the help arrives?

Thanks
Old January 11, 2010, 04:45 AM   #2
oldmaster111

During my tour of Vietnam, I was shot at quite a few times but never hit. I've seen people hit in various places on their bodies. Not pretty. My response was to return fire when a target appeared or I knew where the shots came from. Pretty basic I guess.
Old January 11, 2010, 04:53 AM   #3
teeroux

Me and my buddy were crossing through a bad part of town.(note: we both actually lived in a bad part of town and an even worse part of town was between our houses and to get to and from our houses you had to cross there or go way out the way) Common practice in the area is for a group of thugs to make a line in the road and hold up the folks who stop. Well my buddy wasn't having any part of that and sped the car up towards them. One of em decided he was too much a thug to get out our way and was clipped by the car and flew to the ground. They then threw bottles and fired what I belive was a pellet gun but may have been a .22 at us. They didn't even hit the car much less us. So when we arrived at my house we let the police know what happened.
Old January 11, 2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Nydhog502

While I've never been shot at, I was robbed at gunpoint. I was 20 (I'm 23 now) at the time. I can safely say it was an illegally aquired .38, maybe 38 Special. It was by 5 african american kids (and when I say kids I mean it: youngest 13, oldest 15) outside of a local concert venue. Me and my friend were the only ones out of a group of 7 who weren't able to run off. They stole my wallet, car keys, and cell phone. Got it all back except the phone. I did lose some wallet photos of a friend who passed away, but I'd rather that then die. I had the gun to my head for about a minute while they searched me. Whole scenario was about 4 minutes. They got caught that night, and I'd like to think my description of "He looks like a black Gary Busey" to the cop helped lol. Turns out, the kids found a gun and decided to play "Gangster" and carjacked 5 or 6 different cars and robbed 10 separate groups of people over the course of 4 hours. They went all over the town doing this and were caught in a stolen car IN ON OF THE KIDS DRIVEWAYS. It had me rattled for a bit but I'm fine now. It also got me out of jury duty. I had a jury-selection call and it happened to be a gun crime. I openly admitted to the judge "I was robbed at gunpoint three weeks ago. This is a gun crime and rape case. I cannot be unbiased. I have a vendetta against people who improperly use guns and rob and violate innocent people." That made a bit of a gasp come over the courtroom.... Perhaps "vendetta" was a little much... Ah well, young a stupid. This incident is a BIG reason why I will probably constantly CC when I get my license to do so. I knew it was going to happen but didn't have anyway to get around it as I was the front person in the line. I would have had enough time, however, to arm myself and protect my friends and I.
Old January 11, 2010, 05:03 AM   #5
Nydhog502

ACTUALLY, come to think of it: I was driving on the expressway some months back and some idiots had been throwing rocks at cars for a few weeks (as documented by police). My lucky car was the one they "upped the ante" on and shot at it with either a .22 or a pellet gun. It didn't penetrate but left a nice sized shatter mark and spider web style cracks in my window. The reason I'm fairly certain it was a gun is I heard a bang and THEN saw my window shatter with a second bang. Gotta love VOLVO's... Tanks on wheels I say.
Old January 11, 2010, 05:03 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Growing up in the country I had the unfortunate experience of being shot at more than once. My brother was hit in the butt with rocksalt from an old farmer's shot gun once. He had many sores, and blisters all over his bottom (the old addadge of do not steal watermellons, then give the old farmer the finger when going back over the fence)
One of the times I can rmber being shot at was when I was crossing a field as a shortcut to get to school, I heard the bullets going over my head. Needless to say I got out of there fast, and never took that shortcut again. The property owner was later arrested for growing marijuana in that field. (I guess I know why he was shooting at me now.)
Old January 11, 2010, 05:48 AM   #7
CajunBass

I've been shot around. Does that count?

A buddy of mine and I were fishing one day when I/we heard a "whirrrrrrrrrr" sound (is the only way I can describe it). I thought it was to the right of me, and he thought it was to the left of him. Which put it right between us in an 18 foot bass boat.

The "Whirrrrrrrrrr" sound was followed immediately by the sound of a rifle shot. Then another. And another. No idea what caliber, but it was bigger than a 22 judging by the boom. We yelled up toward the bank to cease fire, there was someone down here. Never heard another shot. No one came down to the riverbank.

I'm pretty sure they didn't shoot AT us. They shot toward the river, and the bullet probably passed well over our heads, the river bank was a fairly high bluff at that point, but it was a lot closer than I ever want to have happen again. However, they did sound like they went right between the two of us.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 11, 2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Dwight55

Admittedly, . . . the jerks were not shooting "at" us, . . . but the rounds did the little "whrrrrrrrrrrrr" thing right above our heads.

We were building the house I live in right now, . . . four Asians (local university brats we surmised) were in an SUV about 600 feet from us in the wildlife area.

One of them had a handgun, sounded like a .38, they were shooting at the "No Vehicles Beyond This Point" sign. After the rounds buzzed over us, . . . my buddy and I loaded up into my pickup and headed over where they were to put a stop to it.

My assumption is that they were exchange students, . . . probably got the gun under the table somewhere, . . . three of the four gave me the old "no speaka Inglees" jargon.

I put on my best gunnery sergeant's impersonator voice, . . . chewed the stuffing out of them for about five minutes, . . . gave them 30 seconds to clear the area, . . . never saw them again.

After we got back to the house, . . . it dawned on me that if they were bg's, we would have been in trouble, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 11, 2010, 11:14 AM   #9
M14fan

I was 9 years old. Case of wrong place, wrong time. Fired at directly, protected by vehicle and REALLY COURAGEOUS third party. A 12 ga slug makes an aweful noise when it hits right over your head and the muzzle flash is most impressive when viewed from the receiving end!!! At 9 I was looking for a weapon with which to return fire. I was looking directly in my attacker's face when he received a fatal hit................
Old January 11, 2010, 01:24 PM   #10
CorpITGuy

"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result." - Winston Churchill

WC was the man.
Old January 11, 2010, 01:33 PM   #11
45Gunner

Vietnam...numerous misses, three hits. NVA AK-47

1972....during a storefront holdup. Armed robber with .357 magnum revolver.

1985...doing a repo of a stolen bicycle. Pscho with a 12 gauge shotgun.

1999...shot three times during a home invasion robbery. 9mm semi-auto.
NRA Life Member
Old January 11, 2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Ian0351

Shot at numerous times in the rockpile, never hit. Have provided first aid to friends who were down with torso and abdomen wounds, the latter smell awful. Robbed at gunpoint while unarmed once in Los Angeles... learned my lesson as I should NEVER have been where I was at that time of night in less than platoon strength.

Semper Fidelis
Old January 11, 2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Caboclo

Not sure. I was driving down the freeway in Los Angeles not too long ago when I heard a big bang. Sounded more like a gun shot than a blown truck tire (I've heard both). Lot's of traffic around, but no one was swerving or doing anything unusual. Checked my truck for bullet holes the next time I stopped, didn't find any.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:37 PM   #14
peejman

I have been unintentionally shot at while playing golf. Some idiots were dove hunting next to the course and not paying attention to the direction they were shooting. We got peppered with pellets 3 or 4 times. Large amounts of screaming and yelling between volleys had no effect. We called the sheriff's office to report it when we got back to the car. I don't know if anything came of it.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:39 PM   #15
orangello

Not by anyone actually trying to kill me, but i was shot at as a mischievous youngster engaged in mischief. I also was almost perforated by a .30-06 when this IDIOT hunting the opposite fenceline took a shot at a deer that hopped out about three feet in front of me. The deer was the size of a medium labrador retriever; had it been worth shooting, i was three feet away with a 12 guage in my hands. I did hear a weird noise as the bullet went by me, but it could've been deer laughter as the lil fellar skipped away unscathed.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:43 PM   #16
Cremon

Oh HELL no!!

I have never been shot at and hope I never find out what it feels like. I had someone shoot ahead of my feet (a FORMER shooting buddy that I never shot with again after that) and that scared me senseless even though I knew he was not trying to hit me. I can't imagine what the feeling is when the shooter is deliberately trying to score one on you.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:58 PM   #17
oldone

In Cambodia I can't count the number of shots fired in my direction.
Durring a search in a village a 8 year old boy shot me in the ear and took a chunk of it as it hit. It was with an AK47, damn Russian made one at that. I was only two feet away from the little brat. To this day I can feel that missing piece of ear. No purple heart, we wern't supposed to be there.
Old January 11, 2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Gatorpan

Getting shot at!

When I was about 11…a friend took the bullet out of a .22LR shell and replaced it with cotton. While visiting he 'showed' me is .22 rifle and then shot at me. I remember this little white ball came at me from 5 feet away and hit me too. That was the last time I associated with that kid. The NRA taught me you don't play around with firearms or point them at anything you don't want to destroy. I never forgot this and its some 50 years now.
Rafi
Old January 11, 2010, 03:30 PM   #19
JackL

Yes, but in a stupid sort of way. Given the time of year and the general location, I'm guessing the idiot who did it had hallucinated a set of antlers onto my head.

Fortunately he was a lousy shot.

I gave my vocabulary a good loud workout. The idiot didn't answer.
Old January 11, 2010, 03:36 PM   #20
Aaron67Camaro

Spent June 2004 to May 2005 in Iraq as an Army Officer. 99% of my time there was as a convoy commander all over the place. Needless to say, I have seen my fair share of getting shot at. I will never forget the sound of an enemy round hitting the hardox steel plate that we had bolted to our doors. Also makes a nice little mushroom on the door as well, but nothing a little rattlecan paint wouldnt fix! Also seen my fair share of IED's, RPG's, mortars, etc. Not a fun time!
Old January 11, 2010, 03:44 PM   #21
ronto

YES

During my tour in Vietnam. I was not in the infantry, but was sniped at several times while on guard duty. Lucky that Charlie was a bad shot but one of the guys in my unit got hit in the leg one night while on guard. He learned the hard way it's not a good idea walking your post at night smoking a cigarette.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".

Last edited by ronto; January 11, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 04:50 PM   #22
1911rocks

7.62x39 & 9mm

Was I shot? - Yes
Where - Shot once in lower leg (broken) 7.62x39. 9mm in lower back. Circumstances - People had a high level of resolve to impress me that I wasn't in the correct place in time.
What should you do when shot?? - Quit being shot!!! Concealment and cover!!!! Return fire, put the hurt to them.
What do you do after being shot - When your shot, direct pressure. More importantly return fire and let people know where it's coming from so other people don't get shot. BTW, if you're around the poor SOB who was shot, don't expect him to be rational, content or TRUSTING!!!! It's not Hollywood!!
Old January 11, 2010, 06:00 PM   #23
highcaliberprovider

I have been shot at a few times, and hit twice. Once in the line of duty (I worked in private security) and once because of mistaken identity. I was in Atl. minding my own business, just waiting for a client to come out of a bar (obviously I cant carry in a bar. Im security not LE) when I heard 3 quick pops and felt a searing "hot" pain in my side. When I realized what had happened I fell to the ground ( I was scared, wouldn't you be?). The bastard had the gall to run up to me to "finish" the job. He saw I wasn't who he thought I was and actually said: "Ah S#@t, I thought you was someone else" and run away. Luckily for me he was using a .25 with cheap ammo, only hit me once, and the bullet deflected off my rib and got lodged between the rib and the skin. Pretty easy removal and no serious damage. But Damnit, it hurt! I'm not at freedom to discuss the other instance.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:04 PM   #24
MTT TL

In Iraq I was in several engagements. I don't know for sure if anyone was shooting in my particular direction but I sure was shooting at them. Also in convoys that were hit with IED's, on bases that were being hit with rockets and sometimes mortars, and someone once tried to shoot a rocket directly at our building (while living off the base). Come to think of it we were pelted with rocks on a pretty regular occasion (while inside the vehicles). Once someone fired a string of shots at a helicopter we were flying on, but we were so high and far away there was no real danger.

In the civilian world a dude took a shot at me and a friend when we cut through his yard. He was growing marijuana in it and probably thought we were after it. We were 12 and 14.

Indirect fire can be pretty scary but not near as dangerous as you might think. I was more likely to crap my shorts over unexpected outgoing anti-rocket guns (loud and sudden enough to make you think the world was being attacked by alien invaders) than the indirect landing.

Fire fights I found to be not so scary. Rely on your training, harness your energy, take directive action, never stop moving and doing things until the threat is ended.

IEDs are bad ju-ju. I understand the concept, it is much safer for the bad guy. They happen so fast and can be potentially devastating. Don't have time to be scared. Just do what you need to.

Last edited by MTT TL; January 11, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:20 PM   #25
PH/CIB

University of Viet Nam. Class of 68/69. Longest firefight lasted four hours, most others of shorter duration more like Rogers Rangers hit and run style. One interesting firefight when our company acted as a blocking force and another company pushed towards us, ended up getting into a mistaken short firefight with each other, you will never believe the amount of firepower you have until you have it used on yourself. Only hit once not by rifle or machine gun fire one hand grenade took out myself and two buddies. Minor wounds for two of us a serious wound for the third guy, after dustoff we never saw him again, but it totally destroyed the grenade!

Saw Puff or Spooky work out one night but never have seen an Arc Light.

Your adrenalin will take care of you as things seem to be moving in slow motion but are at light speed. Thank God for the 11 Charlie Cannon Cockers, the Jet Jockeys and the incredibly brave helcopter Dustoff/Medivac and Gunship pilots.

Have carried a handgun ever since Viet Nam over 40 years ago and have never fired a shot in self defense. I don't go looking for trouble anymore!
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Closed Thread