The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Leadbelcher

28" double for home defense

Hi
I can afford only one shotgun, and have decided on a Stoeger Uplander double in 28". I had wanted the 26", but none were to be had. I plan to do mostly 5-Stand and skeet, then some CAS and finally HD.
What are your thoughts on using the 28" in HD--ie., moving around the house, differences between a coach gun and the Uplander...

Thanks
LB
Old July 3, 2009, 02:45 PM   #2
greyson97

28 inches is entirely way way way way way to long. a hd shotgun unmodified, non maverick style should be 16" to 18 in max
Old July 3, 2009, 02:49 PM   #3
TxGun

Well, it's obviously less handy in confined spaces and, in some scenarios, the longer barrel is easier to grab and deflect. But that said, it can certainly work. If you are smart, practiced, and do your part...it will work. Long-barreled double guns were, and still are, used for hunting and protection all over this country for many, many years. Generally to good effect.
Old July 3, 2009, 02:55 PM   #4
rantingredneck

Quote:
16"
Will get you 10 years in Club Fed without the proper paperwork..........

28" guns have been used for many a year to protect the homestead. Know it's limitations and plan accordingly. There is a difference between defending your home and clearing it.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 3, 2009, 03:26 PM   #5
greyson97

my bad. 18"
Old July 3, 2009, 03:53 PM   #6
tju1973

Better than nothing, but unless you live in a warehouse/loft, 28" is way to long to swing in a normal home---

I would get a cheap used 870/500 and get am 18" or chop the 28 field barrel...

Just MHO--

8)
Old July 3, 2009, 04:06 PM   #7
luvsasmith

Quote:
28" guns have been used for many a year to protect the homestead. Know it's limitations and plan accordingly. There is a difference between defending your home and clearing it.
the best advice so far and it won't even send you to the crow bar hotel. the other thing I'd suggest is to call 911 then stay put, say at angle to a door way leading to where all the loved ones are. never stand IN a door or hallway- that is the fatal funnel and will get you killed at the drop of a hat. keep your shotgun aimed where the intruder will enter your area and wait.

Last edited by luvsasmith; July 4, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:09 PM   #8
oneounceload

Unless you need to clear your house because of kids on the other side or similar, 28" will work fine as you barricade yourself in your room with your wife and call 911......
Old July 3, 2009, 04:29 PM   #9
NickySantoro

Blah, blah, blah.
Write this down. 28" is fine. Shorter would be finer.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:44 PM   #10
speakerguy79

My HD gun is 28". It's not 'ideal' but it's what I have. I live alone in an apartment, and if anything happens I am barricading myself in the bedroom and pointing all 28" of that at the door while dialing 911 and yelling "GTFO!".
Old July 3, 2009, 06:55 PM   #11
bigghoss

I really like SXS shotguns too, but due mostly to their cost I haven't purchased one yet. I suppose a stoeger is pretty close in price to most pumps but I've only bought 2 new ones. I think you'd be better served by a pump with a barrel combo pack(one 18" cylinder bore, one 28 " vent rib with screw in chokes) I scored one heck of a killer deal on an 870 synthetic express magnum with a 26" vent rib barrel and that thing is a clay killing machine and I don't shoot clays much.

really you should get the gun you think you need more. if you feel the 28"SxS will work for you in your home and will serve you best for the shooting you'll actually do then it's probably the better choice.
Old July 3, 2009, 08:51 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guys.....

A 28" barrelled double of either kind has an O/A length similar to that of an 870 with a 21" turkey barrel. Some of us think that is a darn good defensive tool.

A SxS that YOU know and have shot plenty will be a better choice than.....

Any repeater that you haven't shoved a few hundred shells into, even if it says Benelli on it,

Or, a coach gun that has minimum legal length and is so whippy you can't hit a thing with it, Or....

Any handgun, even if it has a double stack mag and has been in 8 Wesley Snipes movies.

Shoot your shotgun until it feels like a body part and don't stress yourself over whether Net Ninjas approve or not.....
Old July 3, 2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Leadbelcher

Thanks

I appreiciate the comments. Ill be shooting a lot of skeet with the gun, and hopefully a little CAS. I will not worry about the length anymore as far as HD is concerned. I think DaveMcC (Shoot your shotgun until it feels like a body part ) and bighoss ( if you feel the 28"SxS will work for you in your home and will serve you best for the shooting you'll actually do then it's probably the better choice.) hit the nail on its proverbial head.
Thanks!!
Old July 3, 2009, 10:24 PM   #14
alfred

My belief.

The short barrel & stock pump sold for home defense is pretty much a modern "City Slicker" shotgun.Such shotguns were mainly used by the Military.Police,guards and for guarding prisoners for the last 100 years.

Most folk guarded their homes and property with the shotgun they used to hunt and defend their livestock with.In the past we were raised to look on a firearm as a tool and to use it as such.Firearms were only used as weapons by the military,police and outlaws.

The modern "Home Defense" shotgun is much a product of Hollywood and manufactures wanting to furnish whatever sells.Lets face it.There are some who want to act,feel and play like a member of a swat team,without going to the trouble of the training.There is money to be made in selling them the firearm whether needed or not!You will always have the ones who have the need to convince their selves and attempt to convince others that they are bad!The really "Bad" have no such need and you never find them attempting to impress anyone with their arsenal,knowledge or ability.In fact.They keep it quiet as this silence is a very important part of their ability.The ones who parade around in the dark with a lit flashlight attached to their gun while racking the action are very fortunate to survive a armed adversary.To shout "Here I is" is far safer as they are just heard but not seen."What if" sells to these folk!

Singles,Over Unders and Doubles are far shorter than Semi-Autos And pumps with the same lenght barrels.Single and Double Barrel shotguns or "Fowling Pieces" have been around for hundreds of years before a shell or cartridge was invented!They still work great!

A home defense shotgun is great "IF" you are only going to use it for home defense.It is not very well suited for anything else.Throughout the history of shotguns,most folk used a multi purpose shotgun for home defense.The shot gun that you use the most and are most familure with,is the weapon you need in a emergency!alfred
Old July 4, 2009, 03:39 AM   #15
darkgael

OAL

Quote:
A 28" barrelled double of either kind has an O/A length similar to that of an 870 with a 21" turkey barrel.
Quote:
Singles,Over Unders and Doubles are far shorter than Semi-Autos And pumps with the same lenght barrels.
Nice that somebody noticed that fact.

Pete
Old July 6, 2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Nite Ryder

28" Double for home defense

Well put, alfred!

I think a double barrel shotgun can be used for a lot of things, but sometimes one shotgun won't serve every purpose you have in mind. A Winchester (or clone) 1897 pump shotgun can be used for CAS, and if you were good with it you could use it for 5 stand and skeet. Usually Skeet guns have a shorter barrel and wider choke that Sporting Clays, and Trap guns have. A '97 with a 20" barrel would also have a wide choke, usually cylinder bore. It would work well for everything except long shots like you might have in 5 stand.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:30 AM   #17
mathman

this is why i like the 21 inch vent rib barrel...good for hunting, skeet, trap, home defense, truck gun, etc...

to me the shotgun paired with the 21 inch vent rib barrel is like a match made in heaven...

ok, that was kind of weird...
Old July 7, 2009, 08:49 AM   #18
rantingredneck

But without 6" or so of receiver between stock and barrel a 28" double handles nearly the same as that 21" pump/semi..........

My pumps and semi typically wear 18.5-21" barrels most of the time (unless I'm bird hunting). Even with a 28" pump though you can effectively defend your home.

Know the gun, know your skillset and the limitations of both. Again, defending the home and clearing it are two different things. With rare exception, I'll do one and let the PD do the other.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 7, 2009, 03:03 PM   #19
mathman

i hear ya...this is why my doubles have 26" barrels...'bout the same as a 21" pump/semi