The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2006, 02:17 PM   #1
randleland

Just starting out--initial questions:

Just starting out (don't even have a bench, yet) and am still deciding on whether to get a quality single stage press or a single stage TURRET press. Initial goal: to work up accurate hunting loads for my .308. Later, I want to reload for my 1911. For that, I expect to purchase a progressive press--that can wait.

So, I'm leaning towards either a Lee "classic cast" single stage or the Lee "classic turret" single stage press. Any thoughts on single stage turret presses (building one complete round at a time) vs. a plain single stage (building several rounds at once, one step at a time)? Never having done either, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/classic.html

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...sicTurretPress
Old February 10, 2006, 02:47 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I have a single stage press from RCBS and am toying with the idea of a turret, but if I did buy a turret I would load this way:

The turret assembly is replaceable so I would have one for each caliber, the dies would stay in it locked in exactly how I want them.

I would run 100 or so cartridges thru each stage without moving the head, then advance the head and run the same hundred thru stage 2. And so on.

I would guess that the Lee single stage press is okay, but I fear their turret press since it uses aluminum. I'd rather have a steel one.

But in regards to speed, I can put together about 75-100 rounds an hour of plinking stuff, or about 20-30 rounds an hour of tight-tolerance (hopefully) very accurate rifle stuff. That's case prep, though, which I can't do with a press.
Old February 10, 2006, 06:13 PM   #3
drdirk

first press

+1 on the RCBS single stage. Load all my rifle ammo on it. Even if you buy something else you will never get rid of it!
Old February 10, 2006, 07:54 PM   #4
MrGee

i feel the same about my Lyman Turret drdirk .. i do what a'...hawk44 is talking about .. i have a six postion turret, have 22-250,308 an 243 set up in it .. all use the same shell holder .. if i ever need to load another Cal... i just take my less critical sizing die being the 22-250 an load what ever .45acp ..223 etc .. i always put my primers in with the rcbs hand tool, have a 2nd shell holder for those 3 .. faster an more controlable for me...
randleland is talk .45/308 same shell holder deal for him .. a turrettype press my work for as well .. as for Lee i think most of there dies are pretty good .. as for the press i can not speak on , but i do have friend that uses one, his words ... "God D ^%%&*%(%((^(^()(&^)&)&)mn" I can not repeat here .. as other say good things your choice .. i just like the heavy type better
Old February 10, 2006, 11:36 PM   #5
rwilson452

lee turret press

It's my onderstanding Lee now has its turret press in steel.
Old February 11, 2006, 12:06 AM   #6
Mr_Magoo

I went with a Single Stage (RCBS).

What ever you do, take your time, RT*M, Read the Manual again, go slow, do it right, and do it well.
Old February 11, 2006, 12:43 AM   #7
SDLAW

If you are only loading for one caliber, I doubt you will save much time with a turrent press. 308 is a very flexible round and it seems a shame to load only one recipe and call it good. You will have to modify your settings for every bullet change anyway and will have to remove the case after sizing to prime the case with a hand primer (by far the easiest and fastest way) and to put a weighed powder charge in (the best way to insure consistant i.e. accurate loads). This is why each step is done in batches rather than one cartidge at a time. A good quality single stage press (Rockchucker) is all you need and will last a lifetime. Get the kit and a few manuals and you will never be sorry. Just one man's opinion.
Old February 11, 2006, 09:59 AM   #8
jsflagstad

A look at brands

I have Dillon, Pacific (Hornady), RCBS, and Lee. All of these have served me well. If it is LEE that you want, either of the presses you have mentioned will serve you just fine. I have a Lee turret press and I am absolutely happy with it.

Whether the press is made out of steel, aluminum, titanium or unobtainium in my opinion doesn't mattter. You will find many Lee owners that have had their presses for years and are completely happy with them. Lets face it, they are serving a pretty simple purpose and that is to apply force and press in one dimension. Now if we were talking multi-axis machining centers, I may have a different opinion. I am in the engineering field, and I specify tools for a living. I see no problem with the Lee products, instead, I see lots of innovation that brings these products to us cheaper and you don't see that very often on this side of the pond.

Welcome to TFL and welcome to the hobby. Prepare to be bitten by the "Bug".

JSF
Old February 11, 2006, 10:43 AM   #9
Voyager AL

I bought a Lee Anniversary set at cabela's for 67 dollars about 4 months ago. I now load 40, 45, and .380's. Not in a hurry, its stress relief for me. Im happy with Lee, but have no experience with any others.
Old February 11, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10
dogfood

For a single stage, the Lee Classic should serve you well. Even if you move to a turret (or progressive) in the future, you'll want to keep a single stage around.

I have both Lee and Redding T7 turret presses. I've had the Lee for nearly 20 years; the Redding for about 18 months. The Redding is a far beefier and tighter press. I have moved all of my rifle loading to this press. But I still happily use the Lee for .45 Colt.

dogfood
Old February 11, 2006, 06:34 PM   #11
randleland

Thanks, guys. Everyone's input is appreciated. Single stage it is.
But now, to clean out my corner of the basement!
Old February 13, 2006, 03:18 PM   #12
xjz

I ordered a Lee Classic Cast Turret press back the last part of January and haven't recieved it yet. I guess because its so new all of them are being shipped out as fast as they can make them and mine will be drop shipped directly from LEE. It is susposed to show up this week so we'll see. I wanted the turret because you can always run it just like a single stage but you can run 1 round completly thru at a time too which is why I got it because with kids I get called away from things I'm doing quite frequently and I don't want to have 100 rounds full of powder sitting out waiting to be finished and not be able to get back to it for days.