The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 26, 2016, 03:30 AM   #1
Skeets
Member in memoriam

.30Carbine-In.legal -Best deer ammo/TFL?Q

The .30Carbine (not FMJ) rnd.is a legal deer hunting cartridge thru2020 on private land.What has TFL used for a MAXIMUM100 yd.shot with today's factory loaded ammo?TIA as always! Skeets
Old April 26, 2016, 07:33 AM   #2
taylorce1

I personally wouldn't use a .30 Carbine, just because it's legal doesn't make it a good choice. However, your best bullet will probably be a regular old round nose soft point 110 grain bullet. Hollow point ammunition might expand too rapidly and not give as good of penetration, and since the .30 Carbine lacks in power you need all the penetration you can get.

I don't know all of Indiana's hunting regulations, but if any .30 caliber cartridge is legal for private land the .300 BLK and .30-30 would be infinitely better suited for deer vs. the .30 Carbine. If it were me I'd stick to what I had been using before the .30 Carbine round became legal. Why mess with what had been working?

Last edited by taylorce1; April 26, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old April 26, 2016, 09:38 PM   #3
jrothWA

Use 110gr HP for deer, have

known two people that used the Carbine, one from Wisconsin that preferred it for deer drives back in early 90's aand said it was great for putting rounds in a deer. [NOT my idea of deer hunting]
Second used Carbine from deer stand and took two in seperate years, one at 10yds almost shooting striaght down, the seocond @ fofty yds, all with one shot.

My daughter accompanying me for a week-end and she's 100 lbd dripping wet.
That's why the Carbine, used my reloads sing the 100gr short jacketed soft-points. did not get a shot off but I was back-up with .308 bolt action.

Also, smooth the feed ramp for minimizing "stutterring" of soft noes ammo.
Old April 27, 2016, 12:52 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
The .30Carbine (not FMJ) rnd.is a legal deer hunting cartridge thru2020 on private land. What has TFL used for a MAXIMUM100 yd.shot with today's factory loaded ammo?
No matter what the State says is a acceptable cartridge for harvesting big game on private property. The land owner has the final say. i.e.>Who is allowed to hunt and with what.

My property requires the use of a 30-30 170 gr. S-P or larger cartridge to hunt any of its big game animals. i.e. >My property my rules.

This States hunting guidelines & rules permit the use of 30 carbine everywhere. Public & private lands.
Old April 27, 2016, 08:52 AM   #5
mavracer

Quote:
the .300 BLK ....... would be infinitely better suited for deer vs. the .30 Carbine.
This cracks me up. Some how a 300 BO is good to 200 yards where it's 110 gr bullet is going ~1700 fps and thats infinitly better than a carbine at under 100 yards where it's 110 gr bullet will be going 1650+

I've always had pretty good luck with Hornady's performance I'd prolly use their 110gr soft points iffin I was gonna deer hunt with my carbine.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

Last edited by mavracer; April 27, 2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: answer OP's question
Old April 27, 2016, 01:32 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavracer
This cracks me up. Some how a 300 BO is good to 200 yards where it's 110 gr bullet is going ~1700 fps and thats infinitly better than a carbine at under 100 yards where it's 110 gr bullet will be going 1650+
Well since I own rifles chambered in both Carbine and BLK, I have a pretty good idea of what both can do. I don't know why you're so confused, go check Hornady's web site and you'll see why the .300 BLK is better by more than a little. Hornady's Full Boar 110 grain BLK ammo has more velocity and energy at 100 yards than their Carbine ammo at the muzzle. Not to mention it still has more velocity and energy at 300 yards than the Carbine at 100 yards.

Indiana has IMO goofy cartridge limitations for deer hunting, but just because something is legal doesn't make it the best choice out there. However, the OP has stated in the hunting forum he'll be using the .30 carbine this coming season because he has one. I don't think it's the best choice, but if used correctly it'll kill deer.
Old April 27, 2016, 01:45 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...the .30 Carbine lacks in power..." Milsurp ammo, maybe, but not properly loaded HP or SP ammo. A 110 HP with IMR4227 makes BIG holes at roughly 2,000 fps MV. Wouldn't use factory ammo myself.
"...The land owner has the final say. i.e.>Who is allowed to hunt and with what..." Only about the 'Who'. The land owner has no legal right to say anything about the 'What'.
Old April 27, 2016, 02:21 PM   #8
mavracer

Quote:
Well since I own rifles chambered in both Carbine and BLK, I have a pretty good idea of what both can do. I don't know why you're so confused, go check Hornady's web site and you'll see why the .300 BLK is better by more than a little.
Yeah I own both too and the aforementioned 30/30 and have shot a few deer in my life. What does little bit of extra velocity that the 300 brings to the table really gain you? it's still not a mulie round. It's still no bean field gun. It ain't got the oomph to be taking a running Texas heart shot. So for woods hunting whitetails where the shot's are under 100 yards just how is it infinitly better?
Old April 27, 2016, 05:54 PM   #9
taylorce1

What the .300 BLK has going for it over the .30 Carbine is bullets plain and simple. The BLK has the ability to use better bullets that retain velocity and energy better, that means they'll hit harder and penetrate deeper than the .30 Carbine will ever be able to. What that means for the Hunter is more shot opportunities since they can take shots at more angles, and don't have to wait for a broad side shot and possibly miss an opportunity in failing light.
Old April 27, 2016, 06:36 PM   #10
agtman

Dudenals, hear me now and believe me later ...

.... the .30 Carbine is an antiquated relic. While the cartridge itself isn't junk, it's also not 1954 anymore.

Over time, bullet technology and cartridge development has passed the .30 carbine by - at least a hundred times over.

For deer hunting, the bullet selection for, and energy range of, the .300BLK make it a much better choice.

Last edited by agtman; April 27, 2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old April 27, 2016, 07:22 PM   #11
mavracer

Quote:
What that means for the Hunter is more shot opportunities since they can take shots at more angles, and don't have to wait for a broad side shot
With that kind of ethical standard I'd suggest more than a 300 Blackout.
A couple hundred FPS isn't going to make a questionable shot ethical.
Old April 27, 2016, 10:33 PM   #12
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavracer
With that kind of ethical standard I'd suggest more than a 300 Blackout.
A couple hundred FPS isn't going to make a questionable shot ethical.
Well that sure is taking a lot of liberties with what I said! Where did I suggest anything unethical by using the .300 BLK? I simply stated that the .300 BLK offers a hunter more shot opportunitities, not any shot was an opportunity. I also stated more angles, not any angle. I never once suggested anyone ever take a shot that might be considered unethical.
Old April 28, 2016, 02:24 AM   #13
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Historic .30 CARBINE OPPURTUnity

1/st time legal in In.,and in full bow mode But using 70yr.US CARBINE,Mine! Thanks to all for your posts! Skeets
Old April 28, 2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Many of these marginal cartridges will work just fine if the shooter is picky about his shots and passes on those which might not be "right at perfect" for a good hit.

I guess I'm sorta conservative on account of Mr. Murphy rarely taking a day off.
Old May 4, 2016, 01:03 PM   #15
106RR

30 carbine ammo

Skeets,
Sorry no one bothered to give any suggestions. I don't hunt with one here in CA because of the range invoLved. I like Winchester HSP ( hollow soft Points) they shoot to the same POI as my WWB practice loads. I think they expand a little better than Remington. I haven't yet tried the newer Hornady loads or the Cor Bon copper loads. It should be similar to using a 357 mag from a pistol.
Be sure to check the ballistic gel tests on Youtube.
Old May 5, 2016, 06:21 AM   #16
Rancid

Our property has an accuracy rule. We have an 8 inch round steel target hung at 200 yards. Before you can hunt you have to hit it with whatever you have. I would say that your .30 carbine would be hard pressed to hit it. A close friend hunted with one many years ago. At the ranges that it was effective, he would have been better off with a shotgun using slugs (less than 100 yards). It may have been ok in its day for shooting and maiming people but not for use as an ethical deer hunting cartridge.
Old May 5, 2016, 02:14 PM   #17
mavracer

Quote:
I would say that your .30 carbine would be hard pressed to hit it.
LOL my Inland is a 3 on both chamber and muzzle and still shoot good enough for that.

Quote:
At the ranges that it was effective, he would have been better off with a shotgun using slugs (less than 100 yards).
Not sure about that, several folks put deer in the freezer with carbines and don't have to take the abuse from a slug gun.
Old May 7, 2016, 03:11 AM   #18
Deaf Smith

If they still make the 100 gr DPX Carbine load (Cor-Bon) I'd go that route.

As long as you keep the ranges short and accuracy high you will do fine with the Carbine.

Deaf
Old May 7, 2016, 04:38 AM   #19
Ibmikey

The. Other day I shot a couple of 200 # Texas boars with my M1 Carbine, head shots put them down but before I could approach too close two more shots in the head were required to finish them off. As Art indicated a " marginal cartridge" may not be the best for deer. I changed the Carbine for an AR in 300 Blackout for subsequent hogs (one shot finished a 350# one).
Old May 9, 2016, 10:22 AM   #20
Boncrayon

.30Carbine-In.legal -Best deer ammo/TFL?Q

It's all about distance and your sights. The 30-30 is great for close up. For distance, speed and energy, a 30.06 at 100yd-300yd rangewould have a better chance of knocking down larger game....as would .308 and .270 or 7mag.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:24 AM   #21
peggysue

My Daddy shot many Germans in South Africa with a Carbine. It worked. The ARVON during Vietnam killed a many with it..too bad the USA lost it's balls and pulled out.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Salmoneye

People will state that using a 110gr bullet @1900fps from a .30 Carbine for deer is unethical, and in the next thread praise people who are 'skillful' enough to use their 6" .357 mag firing a 158gr @1500fps for the same critter...
Old May 9, 2016, 06:49 PM   #23
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Thanks guys for ALL your great posts.

Maximum range now Down to between 50-75yds,my Carbine is accurate ,and the circumstances won't be the same again.Many thanks.