The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Japatul

Hornady Lock 'n' Load OTW. Need a bench.

Should be here Monday! Yippee!

I used to load on an RCBS Rock Chucker and have always wanted a progressive.

I have The ABCs of Reloading which I am going through.

Now I'm looking at scales and dies. I have a rock tumbler for the brass.

One thing I'm in a quandry over is the bench, though. I'd like something movable, although not necessarily portable.

I think with my Rock Chucker I might have used an old dresser, I really don't remember.

Can you give me some recommendations on benches that aren't built-in, yet are sturdy?

Also, any recommendations on accessories or best practices would be appreciated (I went thru the sticky in the forum.)

Best,

Chris
Old May 19, 2013, 01:48 AM   #2
thump_rrr

Start off with a 10 pack of bushings, a primer flip tray, RCBS lockout die, additional primer pickup tubes ( I prefer the Dillon tubes which require less effort to pick up primers).

My Hornady is mounted to a 4x4 I beam mounted vertically.
It doesn't budge.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
LE-28

Definitely what Thumper said, especially about buying Dillon pick up tubes, Hornady's pick up tubes blow.

You should have a bullet puller of some sort, I prefer the forster brand collet puller but they won't grab some of the round nose bullets (like 9mm) so a kinetic type (hammer type) will compliment the collet puller for those applications. Collet pullers are faster but kinetic pullers will pull them all.

When you mount your press use the template that comes with it and you won't have to drill all new holes (like I did) if you put a case feeder on it later.

I know this is common sense but nuts and bolts only, no lag bolts.

You should have a white 1/8" fiberglass rod that comes with it that isn't mentioned in the directions, it goes in the press mounted primer tube to put weight on the primers. I put about 5 primers in my tube, put the rod in the tube and taped a small flag on the top of the rod so I would know when I was going to run out of primers.

I also don't hang the red bin on the bracket they supplied, I screwed a piece of steel 2"x 1/8" strap to my bench on the left side of the press to turn the bin so the opening is facing me instead of facing left. I get more loaded rounds in the bin that way and they don't pile up all in one spot.

I made the steel strap longer then it needed to be so if I wanted to put a larger bin on it all the extra weight is on the bench instead of on the cheap bracket they supply.

I do all my de-priming on my press before I clean my cases so I use a RCBS universal de-capping die in my press by itself, and with the case feeder I can de-prime my 9mms at 1300-1400 and hr and I'm not even running it fast. I'm just not stopping to put bullets in or do inspections. I pop the primer return spring off and pull the shuttle back out the way and start de-capping.

Even without a case feeder that press will de-prime much faster than doing it on a single stage, but if you are planning on de-capping with the resizing die then it doesn't matter.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Harbor Freight has a hard wood bench. I have heard of many people using them for their presses. Mine, is my work bench. I made it out of what ever I had available at the time. It has plenty of 2X4 lumber in it. My bench can handle a lot more weight than I will probably ever put on it. I had to use all thread rod to bolt the presses down. The top is a bit thick. With wood benches it helps to use fender washers to keep the bolts from digging into the wood during use. Hardwood seems to have fewer problems with this compared to pine. You can build a bench as well. A solid core door makes a great top.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Farmland

I do like a very solid bench for my LNL.

Here is something you will really like. I find having a primer alarm one of the best aftermarket ideas for the LNL.

http://inlinefabrication.com/bullet_trays.html
Old May 19, 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Farmland

Here is another aftermarket product you might want to consider, I have one and it really works well.

http://www.powderfunnels.com/products.html
Old May 19, 2013, 09:23 AM   #7
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japatul
...One thing I'm in a quandry over is the bench, though. I'd like something movable, although not necessarily portable.

I think with my Rock Chucker I might have used an old dresser, I really don't remember.

Can you give me some recommendations on benches that aren't built-in, yet are sturdy?...
Your requirements for the bench to be movable but not attached makes me think that you should be looking for or building a bench with an integral seat so your body weight adds to the stability & anchoring.

Just a thought....

...bug
Old May 19, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8
bbqncigars

What Farmland said, also advise on adding one of the led light strips to the press. An ergo roller handle is also nice for extended sessions. inlinefabrication has both as well. I adapted the primer alarm from my 550B to fit the AP. It's real easy to run out of primers when you're in the zone, and the alarm will prevent having to clean up loose powder from the shell plate carrier.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Ole 5 hole group

If you don't have a "solid" bench, then a progress reloader will give you a few problems such as powder flying out of cases if 70 to 90% of capacity, that powder might migrate to your priming system etc. Nothing good comes from a flimsy bench relative to a progressive reloader such as the Hornady LnL.
Old May 19, 2013, 01:46 PM   #10
David Bachelder

Take the time to get to know your LNL. It took me 500 rounds just to get the feel of it. The LNL was the first progressive press I ever used/owned. I did have a Turret but the LNL is a very different animal.

Go to Youtube and watch the videos done by Bill Morgan. He will cover most every aspect of the LNL and how to avoid issues. I watched them all just before my press arrived and I feel like it saved me a world of heartache.

The first in the 6 part series is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC1O5FzSCA Suscribe and they are easier to find.

Best of luck.

Dies?
I use mostly RCBS dies and a few LEE. I believe either company make a good die, however the RCBS seem to work a bit better, for me anyway.

Scales?
I use a RCBS Charge master 1500, and I love it.

Bench?
If you have at least skillsaw building your own is not that difficult.

tip:
If you buy RCBS equipment be sure to get the RCBS Rebate. Be sure save the bar codes on the boxes. Go to the RCBS website and print the rebate form out, follow the directions anf you can get as much as 50 bucks back.
Old May 19, 2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Japatul

Wow, thanks for all the advice and links.

A bench with an integral seat is not something I thought of, although I have been debating a bench I would sit at vs one I would stand at.

Any thoughts on that?

I sit behind a desk all day, so standing for a few hours at time to reload sure wouldn't hurt me.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:57 PM   #12
Vance

I know you wanted semi portable, but my bench is actually attached to the wall so it does not move any while reloading on my Dillon XL650. That press really does not like a wobbly bench. The LNL is the same way from what I've read.