The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 7, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1
harokyle

Glock Gen 4 Break in period???

Hi i just got Glock 19 gen 4 i knew there were plenty of reports of ejection problems caused by the new recoil spring but i got on anyway because i like the slimmer grip and large mag release. All the Gen 4s made after jan. 2011 are suposed to have the updated spring so i didnt expect any problems. I took it to range yesterday and had 4 fail to ejects out of 250 rounds. I was told that you just have to get the gen 4s broken in and then they run flawlessly. Anyone have any experiance with this????
Old November 7, 2011, 09:28 PM   #2
TxFlyFish

Mine has 042 springs built in august, which is not the most recent revision. It is a 17. 100 rds so far no problem and ejection pattern seemed uniform. It was fed remington UMC value pack
Old November 7, 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
harokyle

yea i was also shooting rem umc my spring has this stamped on it 0 4
0 on the right 4 on the left and 3 ON THE BOTTOM

Do you know what that means?
Old November 7, 2011, 10:04 PM   #4
TxFlyFish

I am not familiar with the details unfortunately. My hunch is that it is not a RSA problem but with your ejector revision. I would inquire about the latest from glock
Old November 7, 2011, 10:17 PM   #5
C0untZer0

There is no break in period, Glock's QC has slipped badly with testing, RSAs, and extractors.

But they do have good customer service and they will fix it.

SO you's says, 0-4-3 so that is the lastest. Although people have reported problems with the 0-4-3 also.

Quote:
The replacement of the Gen4 pistol RSA can be performed as part of the regular field-strip process; consumers do not need to take the Gen4 pistol to an armorer. Consumer’s wishing to participate in the exchange program are urged to call 1-877-745-8523 to order their new recoil spring.

For more information on the details and shipping requirements on the replacement program, visit www.teamGLOCK.com.
Or you can just buy the LoneWolf springs and guide.

usually the extractor problem manifests itself in throwing brass straight back at your face.
Old November 7, 2011, 10:34 PM   #6
hivoltagefx4

Before you send it back or contact Glock, I would try some different ammo. I think there have been some issues with UMC and Glock 19's with the Gen 4. Try some WWB or Federal or anything else and see how it responds.

If you still have some FTE's, then yes, I would contact Glock and let them know about it.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:48 AM   #7
sigxder

Send it back to Glock. It's not just one problem. Some have out of spec MIM extractors. They fit too tight in the slide. They are on their 4th or 5th RSA assembly. Now they are replacing the ejector. If you have the number 336 ejector they have a new model. I believe it's number is 30274. I tried to fix it myself. Take some good advice. You bought the gun with a warranty. If it's not working properly from the box it should be repaired under warranty. They have a recall that they call an "upgrade". Call them and have them send you a call tag. They've been getting them back to people in about a week to ten days. Don't waste allot of money trying diffrent parts and ammo. Let them go through whatever they need to to fix it.
Old November 8, 2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Mrgunsngear

I don't think this is your issue by mine was ejecting eraticly and I called Glock and they said it was a common problem and that they would fix it by replacing the ejector. I sent it in last week (they paid shipping both ways) and expect to see it soon.

BTW... the number on my ejector was 336
Old November 8, 2011, 08:43 AM   #9
harokyle

are you talking about the extractor on the side of the slide or the ejector thats conected to the frame! that would make sence though because every now and then i get a spent casing hit me right in the face.
Old November 8, 2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Ejector connected to the frame. That's why I had to send it in; they said they wouldn't send it to me and that they had to install it in the factory...
Old November 8, 2011, 02:13 PM   #11
voyager4520

It's not a matter of break-in, it's a matter of Glock not machining their slides correctly. The extractor cut-out wasn't placed precisely so the extractor isn't holding the spent casing to the breech face. Glock has a new ejector which changes ejection enough to fix the problem, but they're only putting the new ejector into Gen4's. Both recent production Gen3's and Gen4's in 9mm and .40 have the same issue, it's not every single gun but a good number of them.

Call Glock and tell them what you experienced with your Gen4. Tell them you heard there's a new ejector to fix the problem and you'd like them to install it. They'll want you to send the gun to them so they can install it, be sure to ask for a prepaid shipping label if they don't offer one.

While they have it they'll check to make sure the extractor moves freely enough as well, for the last year or so their extractors have had widely varying tolerances, some fit too tight and can cause ejection problems as well.

You're lucky yours is a Gen4, I have a Gen3 G27 that has the same problem and Glock won't install the new ejector into Gen3's. I have to wait until the new ejector is included in the newest Gen4 trigger housings sold by online retailers so I can put the new ejector into a Gen3 trigger housing to fix my G27. Us Gen3 owners have to fix our own guns.

Last edited by voyager4520; November 8, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:55 PM   #12
443dds

I've had the same 'eject to the face' issue about one or two per 50rds. I can't recall a single FTE in the multiple-thousands of rounds I've put through my Gen3 G19, but I have plenty of marks on my forehead from the casings.

I've had the gun for a few years and I don't mind paying to get it fixed... is there an option available now? Or we just have to wait until Glock offers the parts elsewhere?

FWIW, my Gen4 G17 has no such issues, and through maybe 1000 rds through that I've never had a FTE and no marks on the forehead.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:22 AM   #13
voyager4520

I'm waiting until the Gen4 trigger housings sold by online retailers have the new ejector in them. Currently every retailer still has the version with the old ejector. I plan to buy one with the new ejector, pull the new ejector out of the Gen4 trigger housing, and put the new ejector into a Gen3 trigger housing to use in my Gen3 G27.

Currently Glock is not installing the new ejector into Gen3's.
Old November 9, 2011, 01:18 PM   #14
ftttu

I have 149 rounds through my G23 4th gen. It had a couple of FTF and a couple of casings to the face. I'm currently injured so I'm not getting the best grip, possibly adding to and/or causing the problems. It will be a while before I heal to the point I can report on this weapon with my regular shooting form. Overall, I'm happy with it.
Old November 9, 2011, 02:10 PM   #15
Mrgunsngear

A couple of failures to fire through 149 rounds in a Glock is not acceptable at all if you cleaned and lubed it properly (shoot, even if you didn't). I'd call Glock about that and see what they say.
Old November 9, 2011, 07:11 PM   #16
hivoltagefx4

Well, I spoke to Glock this morning and I guess after reading this thread, my G19 Gen 4 is on its way back to Glock as I type. They sent me a pre paid label and off to FedEx it went. The Tech I spoke with did say that they would replace the ejector I had.

By the way, the number on my G19 ejector was also 336. Anyway, they said I should have it back hopefully within 10 days or so.
Old November 10, 2011, 03:22 AM   #17
ftttu

plouffedaddy, since my left bicep tendon is ripped from the bone, I'm not shooting at my best. I'm chalking it up to that and it being new. I want to put about 500 rounds through it while being 100% healed before I can determine my next move.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:37 AM   #18
drail

"Break in" = poor quality control. Next people will start believing that hammers and wrenches and screwdrivers need to be broken in. Either it works 100% out of the box or it is defective.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:40 PM   #19
harokyle

Drail, thats not very accurate. the reason glocks dont normally need breaking in is because there built to looser talerances so that they can still fucntion very dirty or even with sand in them, as they say. Downside being that you lose a little accuracy. If anything when a manufacturer tells you theres a breakin period it means the gun is built with tighter talerances and needs to be shot a couple hundred times to get the slide frame and barrel to wear themselves to a perfect fit. Break in period = more quality control

Tags
glock 19 , rsa