The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Slugo

World record bird killer!!

with a SxS yet...
Old June 22, 2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Rugerismisticness

5270rnds+ in a day? out of a Double gun? Better him than me.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:12 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Thats one bird every 5.5 seconds for a eight hour day.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:55 AM   #4
krimmie

What brand of SxS?
Old June 22, 2011, 08:23 AM   #5
zippy13

I hope he likes the taste of dove.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:27 AM   #6
kadima

yes. There is no fun in killing animals if you cannot eat them....

Pass me the salt: they taste just like chicken... (not the doves 8-) )
Old June 22, 2011, 08:41 AM   #7
oneounceload

The dove get passed onto the local villages as free food. The lodge where he is staying will also use some for dinner

And you do realize that he most likely has a trio of those guns AND loaders so he can keep his focus on the birds.

A magazine I subscribe to had an ad featuring a man from N. Ireland who fired over 10,000 rounds in one day (with 4 loaders) and killed over 7700 birds using Benelli semis. IIRC, the ad was for something like Bob Allen shooting gloves.

Doves are pest there - the goal is to eradicate as many as you can. The farmers in Cordoba region are losing 30% of their grain crop to the dove. Instead of poisoning the fields, they came up with this idea.

This really isn't dove "hunting", it is dove "shooting"
Old June 22, 2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Slugo

That record is incredible. But remember, he had 5-6 autos (6 shots) and loaders. The guy with the double worked alone!!
Old June 22, 2011, 11:45 AM   #9
zippy13

Some years ago, in an effort to eradicate pigeons, the City of Escondido briefly entertained the idea of evacuating the downtown area so they could bring in bird shooters.
Old June 22, 2011, 12:37 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
The guy with the double worked alone!!
I seriously doubt that. Most of the lodges will have a loader and a bird boy (who keeps count of all those shells you fire) for each shooter. If you are going for records or just want to go non-stop, extra loaders will be there to keep your brace or trio of guns in constant motion.

One gent I shoot with arranges these trips to Argentina (and other parts of the world). He goes there several times per year. They can't kill enough of these doves to make any inroad into stopping their destruction. Current estimates are 10,000,000 breeding pairs in Cordoba that breed 3-4X/year, producing 3-4 babies at a time. With all of the grain and other crops, they are no longer migrating.

While they're not quite to the point of paying YOU to come shoot them, the pricing is at one of its lowest costs in many years.

I have friends going back next year (and I am TRYING to save up the cash to go) - all have said it is one experience every bird hunter should have
Old June 22, 2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Rampant_Colt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZRo...layer_embedded

Old June 22, 2011, 12:47 PM   #12
GoOfY-FoOt

The ad does not say how many shots were fired, only how many doves were taken. I would suppose that he took several birds from most of his shots, especially with the right loads and proximity to the targets.

I'll bet his chiropractor loves him...and his ammo dealer...

Last edited by GoOfY-FoOt; June 22, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:04 PM   #13
the rifleer

I get tired reloading and slinging a gun for an hour or two, I cant imagine doing that for an entire day and actually enjoying it.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:23 PM   #14
oneounceload

Quote:
I would suppose that he took several birds from most of his shots, especially with the right loads and proximity to the targets.
The guy I mentioned above with the semis had a 77% success rate. If this guy was close to that, he fired approx. 6800 rounds. While they are plentiful, they're not always close
Old June 22, 2011, 01:27 PM   #15
Pahoo

I don't get it.

What am I missing? What does this prove and how was it such a great thing. Don't get me wrong, I probably could not do it nor would I have any such interest. In the past, we go to nothern Missouri and at time, we have shot our limit. We eat what we shoot. Once shot doves in Texas and those don't taste as good. It's not the shooting of doves that I have a problem with, it's the numbers and then making of a big deal of it. .... :barf:

Now, if this is a conservation effort and you want to thin the population, I can understand that but just to see how many you can kill, is not my idea of sport. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 22, 2011, 01:45 PM   #16
oneounceload

As I mentioned above - it IS a conservation thing of sorts - if folks don't help thin the population, the farmers will resort to poison - that will result in indiscriminate deaths for all types of animals

The stamina involved is an amazing thing in and of itself - being able to physically handle that volume of firing in one day is not something the average person typically is capable of performing.

Remember, this is NOT dove HUNTING, it IS dove SHOOTING - there is a difference that many may not grasp at first
Old June 22, 2011, 01:52 PM   #17
aarondhgraham

I forget the name of the town,,,

Quote:
Some years ago, in an effort to eradicate pigeons, the City of Escondido briefly entertained the idea of evacuating the downtown area so they could bring in bird shooters.
When I was a kid too young for even a BB rifle (1955-ish),,,
The Upper Peninsula (Michigan) town we lived in had a pigeon problem.

They shut down the courthouse area for several days,,,
Boy Scouts from all over were invited to come in with their air rifles.

Never saw a thing like that again.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 22, 2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Here's my take on this....

The ecosystem has an artificially inflated food base from crop cultivation.

If the farmers suffer enough losses from crop depredation, they'll stop growing crops. Then all the birds and quite a few people starve.

Shooting ( not hunting) the birds keeps the system profitable.

While it's not everyones' cup of tea, organized shooting parties serve a need and fuel the local economy in a Third World country.

The dead birds get eaten.

I'll never be able to afford Argentina. If I could, I might do as a buddy does and limit myself to a flat of shells in the AM, another in the PM.

I would probably work on certain angles and presentations rather than the biggest body count, but that's just me.

My recommendation for anyone going to an Estancia is to stop when it starts feeling like work.....
Old June 22, 2011, 04:18 PM   #19
oneounceload

Dave, Cordoba trips will run about $3,000 all told for a three day trip, not including airfare, but including anywhere from 1500 to 2500 shells. After that is about $11/box.

And what you said about shooting certain angles, etc., is exactly what my friends do after the initial rush - they'll only L2R crosser for a bit, then R2L ones, then direct incomers, or other variations

My body is ready, but my wallet needs a little more time to prepare.......
Old June 22, 2011, 04:36 PM   #20
Rampant_Colt

Got a link or anything to back this world record up? I can't find a thing about it anywhere..
Old June 22, 2011, 06:01 PM   #21
oneounceload

Here's one who used Beretta semis:

http://www.argentinadoveshooting.com...rld-record.php

An excerpt:

Quote:
After 14 hours of shooting, after 14, 250 shells or a shotgun shell fired about every 4 seconds, after seven 20 gauge Beretta shotguns used and after approximately 5,000 shotgun exchanges between Todd and his bird boy Martin, Todd had shot 11,301 dove with Sierra Brava Lodge in Cordoba Argentina
That's a 79% success rate.......I pity the kids who had to gather them up and count them!

Last edited by oneounceload; June 22, 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added comment
Old June 22, 2011, 06:44 PM   #22
Pahoo

I understand !!!

Well now, I now understand that indeed, it's a Consevation effort and not a hunt. We have these in our state, in order to reduce Whitetail populations on county and city properties. I have been a monitor on a few. I accept that it has to be done but sure breaks my heart to see so many yearlings not make it to maturity. Most "shoots" are met with mixed results and criticism. At any rate, we don't tell stories about them, only actual hunts. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 22, 2011, 10:21 PM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, 1 oz. Same situation here, wallet's not ready.

One guy I know did the whole enchilida, doves, pigeons, perdiz and ducks. He spent the last day of his time there fishing just because he was burnt out.

He shoots pretty good.

Another guy I know slightly shot 1501 doves in one day using several Benelli 20 gauges. He said that was enough for him and shot less the other days.

Were I going, I think I'd get Cole to fit a set of 28 gauge barrels to the Onyx and use them....
Old June 22, 2011, 10:35 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
At any rate, we don't tell stories about them, only actual hunts.
Based on having spoken at length with a fellow who's been on two of the hunts, and from what I've read in articles by others who have hunted in the same general area, the doves are actually fairly challenging targets even if there are a LOT of them.

From the hunter's perspective it IS an actual hunt.
From the perspective of the farmers it's a crop preservation effort that they don't have to pay for.
From the perspective of the guide and his employees it's a living.
From the perspective of nearby villagers it's free food.
From the perspective of the local economy it's a tourist attraction with all the benefits that provides.
From the perspective of conservation it's maintaining a healthy dove population to prevent dove overpopulation and the horrors that attend such problems. (Disease, starvation, less humane method of population control--remember how they killed the passenger pigeons by burning sulfur under the trees they roosted in at night, etc.)

If there's a downside I'm really not seeing it. In fact it's an ingenious approach that simultaneously solves a number of problems and benefits a large number of people.

So, which is better in your opinion and more "story worthy"?

A.) Littering a pasture with broken clay fragments?

B.) Shooting a small number of doves in the U.S that aren't really hurting anyone or anything, from a population that isn't in any danger of becoming overpopulated and when the dead doves don't really provide any significant food source to anyone who actually needs it?

C.) Benefiting a third world local economy, preserving the crops of indigent farmers, providing food for poor villagers, helping to solve a conservation problem, helping employ people who might not otherwise be able to find work, doing it ALL at once AND having fun in the bargain?
Old June 23, 2011, 12:06 PM   #25
oneounceload

I wish we had a similar situation here - it sure sounds like a lot of fun.

I do have one shooting friend who does arrange these shoots (and others around the world).

IF anyone is interested, PM me and I'll pass on his email. I have NO vested interest in his business