The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1
chistech

W C Scott, "The Western Gun"

Hello Everyone, new here and my first post. I just purchased a small collection and a nice W C Scott & Sons SxS was part of it. It is a hammered, damascus barreled gun. It is by what I've read, a early gun as it has a barrel wedge on the forearm and the serial is 4129. It has a straight English stock with fine checkering and only very slight engraving. I know that a lot of the Scott guns were ornate but that they also made less ornate "common" type guns. The gun is complete and appears original other than a wedge of German silver at the tip of the forearm. Someone has at least reglued the wedge in if it is the original. There is a gob of glue on the inside of the forearm that can easily be removed so I'm not worried.The buttstock is crack free and the forearm has just a little tiny crack/splinter that can be glued right near the edge above the barrel wedge plate. The bores appear to be as close to excellent you can find for a damascus. I will of course have a double gun smith evaluate. The two firings pin springs need replacing as they are weak and the muzzle end is slightly out of round on one barrel from most likely being dropped or banged. Here are the specs:

12 gauge
2.5" chambers
28 1/4 long barrel

I have done some research and understand the WC Scott history but in all my looking I can't find a gun marked "The Western Gun". The whole top line on the rib is marked: W & C. Scott and Son (The Western Gun) Makers and Patentees, London. Note:The parenthesis I used are really brackets framing the Western Gun. I did notice that the locks on this gun, by the layout of the screws, look more like locks used on the later Webley and Scott guns at about the time they merged. Possibly because this gun is less ornate and most likely carried a lower price the locks used were also considered a lower quality, though nothing on this gun appears to be of low quality!
I'm am looking to get an idea on the value of this gun as I will most likely sell it to someone who will appreciate it. Possibly someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W C Scott Shotgun 002.jpg (256.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg W C Scott Shotgun 001.jpg (250.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg W C Scott Shotgun 003.jpg (244.8 KB, 77 views)
Old July 29, 2010, 11:02 AM   #2
oneounceload

You might want to try over at doublegunshop.com

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Lots of knowledgeable folks
Old July 29, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
johnbt

Good thing I looked at the first pic, I was going to jump in and say that "W C Scott & Sons" should say "Son". The gun does say that. Now I need to do some looking around. Nice gun.

John
Old July 29, 2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nice gun. You may want to post over on the BB at shootingsportsman.com. Lots of English gun fans over there.

If I ever would be tempted to try out a Damascus barreled gun, it would be something like this. That looks really good.
Old July 30, 2010, 12:12 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

MAN!!! I am no old gun guy but them hand stamps have got to be the most even, clearly readable I ever seen... I really like how some letters have detailed double lines.. That is really classy!
Brent