The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 6, 2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Jseime

Yeee-haw the gophers are out!!!!

ive been seeing gophers (richardsons ground squirrels) again and ive already got the .22 sighted in. im pumped about it.

do we have any other gopher hunters around here?
Old April 7, 2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Twycross

Gophers used to be pests in my backyard. Then, after I got a .22 airgun, they mysteriously dissappeared. Wonder how that happened .
I guess I will have to get out and look for some more. I have heard rumors of a family that wants some gophers removed. They might dissappear too...
Old April 7, 2005, 10:19 PM   #3
Jseime

i hear ya

ive made em disappear for some other people too. ive been stopped on mainstreet in town and handed .22 shells to go clean up pastures before
Old April 7, 2005, 10:21 PM   #4
Avid Concealer

Wow, I can't even say I've ever even seen a gopher. Here ya go. Check out the videos. Perhaps you all have seen this. www.dogbegone.com
Old April 7, 2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I hate to tell you this, Jseime, but ground squirrels are not the same thing as gophers. While both are rodents, they are in different families, Geomyidae for gophers and Sciuridae for squirrels. Each has a very different life style. Gophers usually remain underground most of the time and harvest plants from below. Ground squirrels are surface feeders.

Prairie dogs are also in the squirrel family.
Old April 8, 2005, 02:16 AM   #6
Fat White Boy

Ahhhh- Ground squirrles. I like my .22-250 on them. At 200 yds, they flip, at 100 yards they go flying, under 100yds there's a pink mist....
Old April 9, 2005, 02:40 PM   #7
Jseime

Quote:
I hate to tell you this, Jseime, but ground squirrels are not the same thing as gophers. While both are rodents, they are in different families, Geomyidae for gophers and Sciuridae for squirrels. Each has a very different life style. Gophers usually remain underground most of the time and harvest plants from below. Ground squirrels are surface feeders.

Prairie dogs are also in the squirrel family.
what we call gophers around here are what most people call prairie dogs. sorry about that. i had been told that the proper name for them was richardsons ground squirrel. its just a local lingo thing.
Old April 14, 2005, 10:35 PM   #8
Jseime

got my first few

i was out the other day with a couple friends and nailed 20 or so in about an hour. my friend with a 10/22 was amazed at my 597s accuracy and get this i didnt have a single jam- he had three!!! hahaha whos laughing now ruger guys (just jokes).
Old April 16, 2005, 08:35 AM   #9
GUNSMOKE45441

Mn. has Striped gophers, SD. has striped gophers,Also a variation that looks like cross between the prarie dog,and a gopher called flickertails + they have prairie dogs.
Out here in WA. we have ground squirrels, which are different than the others. They have bushy tails, and are sneaky lil buggers.

Old May 23, 2005, 07:39 PM   #10
Jseime

ah

now the babies are out man. i need more ammo!!! (you know just in case they arm themselves)
Old May 23, 2005, 08:09 PM   #11
molonlabe

Took out 14 from my back yard one summer in Wisconsin a couple of years ago with my RWS model 52. .177 pellet at 1000FPS. Actually I used heavier pellets for stability so it was probably in the 900fps range. Silent kills.

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005