The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 30, 2009, 03:31 AM   #51
Smokin_Gun

Duplicate
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; April 30, 2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Deleted
Old April 30, 2009, 03:35 AM   #52
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
I've been using just plain Von's brand Crisco. 4.50 for a huge tub of the stuff. So far it seems to be working very well.
They I'd say try the above ...took me 23yrs. to make it and been usin' it for 5yrs. Best thing I have ever used...try it.
You won't have drippin' chambers with all the Crisco blown out the first shot with 5 more to go. Your Rev will shoot all day, Colt or Rem...or whatever else ya got.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old April 30, 2009, 04:39 AM   #53
joelberg

I've shot a few hundred rounds so far, haven't had an issue with dripping chambers, but I'll consider your recipe. Gotta work out the organic chemistry on my own for fear of the "petroleum based oils" scare
Old April 30, 2009, 06:43 AM   #54
Hawg

Quote:
those of you who claim that BP residue will turn into solid chunks of stuff that will make your BP revolver inoperable, I gotta call bull****..
I don't remember anybody saying that turned into solid chunks of stuff. It will build up to the point of making it inoperable tho. Using most lubes you'll get three or four cylinders fired before you have to remove the cylinder and clean off the cylinder pin. Colt's with the big arbor generally run a little longer than Remington's. Using petro based lubes won't foul it up any faster but what it does is make an easy cleanup job hard. BP used with vegetable based lube cleans up with water.
Old April 30, 2009, 06:47 AM   #55
Hawg

Quote:
I've shot a few hundred rounds so far, haven't had an issue with dripping chambers
It hasn't gotten hot yet. Crisco and bore butter will get real thin and runny in summer heat.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:24 AM   #56
ClemBert

Thanks SG, but I think I'll just stick with my method until I find a reason not to. I forgot to mention I used lubricated felt wads between the powder and the ball. My point was really just to mention I used WD40 as a post-shoot preservative. But I think people who use Bore Butter for shooting can probably use it as a rust preventative after cleaning their firearm.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:30 AM   #57
arcticap

What's most important is that all traces of water be removed before using Bore Butter or else the water can become trapped under it which can then cause rust.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:10 AM   #58
CaptainCrossman

crstrode

Colts Rule!
I've got a bunch of the Colt type revolvers. Got two of them from Cabela's and I could not be happier.
I've also got one of the 1851 style Colts in 44 caliber with a brass frame. I've shot a load of balls through it with no signs of wear or looseness or any of the other hogwash that you'll read here and elsewhere.
If they were good enough for Wild Bill Hickok, they're good enough for me.

crstode: That analogy doesn't hold any water. Wild Bill used a steel frame 1851 made by Colt in USA- not a brass frame from Cabela's made in Italy. There's a difference.

I've had (2) brass framed Colt replicas, pull the arbor out of the frame and destroy the gun, from shooting them- and needed to replace both frames with steel ones. Now, you cannot get steel replacement frames- so if you buy a brass frame gun and it breaks, it becomes just so much costly spare parts and paperweights.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:05 AM   #59
crstrode

Newtons Third Law of Physics

Captain Crossman wrote:

Quote:
I've had (2) brass framed Colt replicas, pull the arbor out of the frame and destroy the gun, from shooting them- and needed to replace both frames with steel ones.
Arbors don't pull out of a frame from shooting.

Think about it. The recoil goes backwards - not frontwards.

Then there is a feature called a recoil shield. Guess what? They call it that for a reason. Recoil from the cylinder is absorbed by the frame - not the arbor/frame junction. The cylinder floats and is not connected to the arbor - hence, the rearward recoil from firing does not stress the arbor pin.

When revolver is fired, frontward force placed on the arbor comes from the resistance of the ball as it enters the forcing cone and is pushed down the barrel. There is more force placed on the arbor when the balls are seated into the chambers!

Since the mass of the barrel assembly is enormous compared to the mass of a little tiny ball, according to Sir Issac Newton, the ball moves - not the barrel.

Of course, some of the combustion gasses that follow along behind the ball as it travels down the barrel will be pushing on the barrel and forcing cone area. This force is very small otherwise the revolver would jump out of your hand and fly downrange while the ball would remain behind and drop onto your toes.

If an arbor is pulled out of the frame it is most likely due to abuse from some bonehead that hammers the wedge in too tight.

--------------------------------------------

Pardon me if this explanation is too technical - some of the grease monkeys out there might not get it.

Last edited by crstrode; May 10, 2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:08 AM   #60
Jbar4Ranch

You're half right. When the ball reaches the forcing cone, from there on out the ball is also pushing the barrel forward... and the barrel is held onto the revolver by a wedge through the barrel frame and arbor. Kinda like clamping the cylinder in a vise and pulling on the barrel with a come-along or somesuch. True, the cylinder will be pushed backward against the recoil shield, but their will also be a pulling force exerted on the arbor. And not just a pulling force from the ball and gases going down the barrel, but a related and combined force called Newton's First Law of Motion that states a body at rest tends to stay at rest - the gun's frame and cylinder are pulling away from the barrel and the barrel wants to stay at rest... but is held onto the gun's frame by the cylinder wedge... which also goes through the arbor... which is screwed into the brass frame.

SASS 47015

Last edited by Jbar4Ranch; May 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:20 AM   #61
crstrode

Squeaky Wheels

JBar4Ranch wrote:

Quote:
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced...
Yesterday as I was cutting the grass and thinking about barrels and balls and arbors I heard a slight squeaking from my mower.

Just about the time that I had solved the question about loose arbors, the front wheel fell of the tractor. Luckily the mowing was just about finished and there is only as small ditch dug in the front yard.

Maybe that is how Newton felt when the apple hit him on the noggin.

Darn - I hate it when that happens.
-----------------------------------------------
Newton also figgered that when the apple let loose from the tree, there were forces acting on the tree roots that tried to pull the tree up and outta the gound - just like that arbor pin.

Last edited by crstrode; May 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:03 PM   #62
CaptainCrossman

crstrode
Newtons Third Law of Physics
Captain Crossman wrote:
Quote:
I've had (2) brass framed Colt replicas, pull the arbor out of the frame and destroy the gun, from shooting them- and needed to replace both frames with steel ones.
Arbors don't pull out of a frame from shooting.
Think about it. The recoil goes backwards - not frontwards.
Then there is a feature called a recoil shield. Guess what? They call it that for a reason. Recoil from the cylinder is absorbed by the frame - not the arbor/frame junction. The cylinder floats and is not connected to the arbor - hence, the rearward recoil from firing does not stress the arbor pin.

all wrong- the blast from the gun going off, and friction of the oversize bullet going down the barrel grabbing the rifling, tries to blow the barrel off the arbor, and take the barrel with it- that's why soft wedges are bent in half resisting these forces

if you don't believe it, then remove the wedge and fire your Colt brass frame gun, see where the barrel goes- downrange along with the bullet

or put a firecracker under a tin can on the ground, light it- where does the tin can go ? it doesn't go down- it goes up

your physics statement is only half the equation- yes, the cylinder goes backward and smashes into your brass frame, and probably your frame has ratchet marks in it there, because even the steel frame guns get ratchet marks in them from the cylinder

the barrel tries to go forward when fired

this same friction and blast force, is what stretches topstraps in Peacemakers, Remington brass frame guns, etc.

Eventually the topstrap will crack, or stretch to the point the cylinder will go out of alignment and won't turn easil anymore

the open top doesn't even have a topstrap, the wedge is taking the full force of each shot, which is why the design was abandoned for good in 1872, except for replicas- and was replaced by the Peacemaker by Colt

Buy whatever gun you like and can afford, but don't twist the facts to support your decision to buy an inferior gun, as if it's an equal to a steel framed gun- that's misleading newcomers to this sport

these brass frame guns are only $50 each on gunbroker now, and it's not because they are well built and just as strong as steel.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:45 PM   #63
crstrode

Crazy Captain Crossman wrote:

Quote:
brass frame guns are only $50 each on gunbroker now
Please send me all of the $50 cap and ball revolvers you buy on Gunbroker.

I'll pay you $75 each.

Last edited by crstrode; May 10, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 02:12 PM   #64
Hawg

Quote:
these brass frame guns are only $50 each on gunbroker now
I'm gonna hafta ask you to prove that. Here's what I find on gunbroker doing a search for brass frame.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp
Old May 10, 2009, 02:37 PM   #65
Fingers McGee

Quote crstrode:
Quote:
Please send me all of the $50 cap and ball revolvers you buy on Gunbroker.

I'll pay you $75 each.
I'll take some of that.

My search for brass frame found nothing less than $240. And in scanning the 1851's, found:

one at $87 with a buy now of $185

a cased FIE with a starting bid of $50. But, it has a reserve that's probably north of $300 and a Buy Now of $400.

And a Piettta with starting bid of $50, with over 5 days to go on the listing, that more than likely will exceed the $50 in the end.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; May 10, 2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 05:23 PM   #66
mykeal

You guys keep getting sucked in by his line of bull. He knows what he's saying isn't accurate - he's just doing it to get you worked up. Just let it go.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:07 PM   #67
Hawg

You're right mykeal but I hate to think some new people may actually believe his drivel.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:34 PM   #68
gmatov

3 or 4 of you I will join. CC is an ass. What he is trying to prove I DO NOT KNOW!

He wants a corner on the brassies?

"friction of the oversize bullet going down the barrel grabbing the rifling, tries to blow the barrel off the arbor,", I don't know WHICH pistol he is speaking about, with the "oversized bullet.

I SEARCH for them. I would LOVE to find a BP whether opentop or strapped that the ball fit the bore.

Hawg,

If they have read this far, I think they will believe that even a Brassie can put out a few rounds without self destructing. They did so when needed to fight the Civil War, or whatever name you wish to give it.

Actually, other than CC, I do not believe I have ever read of any REAL problems with brass framed revolvers. I will concede that SOME brass is weaker than SOME steel, but that does not mean that brass used in revolver mfg is scrap, AS CC insists that it is.

Cheers,

George