The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 7, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
skoro

Shocked!

After a year and a half drought, I actually saw a big stack of 22LR ammo on the shelf behind the counter at the local Academy Sports. Daily limit of only two 50 rd boxes, but it's the first sign of rimfire ammo in these parts since about January of 2013.

Lots of centerfire ammo for both handguns and long guns. Just about anything you'd want.

Maybe we're not far from a return to normalcy.
Old August 7, 2014, 08:27 PM   #2
lamarw

What was their price?
Old August 7, 2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Andy Blozinski

I think we're about there. I've been getting multiple emails per week from Sportsman's guide for GOOD 9mm going for less than $15/50 and it wasn't already sold out by the time I got off work to read the email. I consider Fiocchi and Sellier/Bellot good ammo.

Sportsman's guide pretty hasn't had squat of anything other than expensive defensive ammo for a LONG time.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:46 PM   #4
got ammo?

That is a big maybe, Skoro. There is a stretch of road here in Western Ma, that is basically one long strip mall. I was shocked myself when I visited the local Dick's sporting store there, last Tuesday morning, and saw they had a stack of 40 round American Eagle HP 22, limit of 3 boxes per customer/day, for $2.48 a box. I bought 3 and, on a whim, hit the Sam's outfitters store down the road. Lo and behold, they had Federal Value pack 22 Hp, 525 rd bricks, only 2 on the shelf, for $34.99 ea. snagged one of those too. I was feeling unbelievably lucky, so I hit the Wal-Mart on the same strip. No 22, but Tula brass 9mm 100 round cans, for $23.73. reality came back to me when I stopped at those stores again this week, and all were sold out. But things MIGHT be looking up towards normal.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:21 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Seems to be getting better here on the west coast, as well. Maybe the scalpers ran out of money.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:00 AM   #6
skoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw
What was their price?
They were $4.29/box, which isn't great but just having some available is a big improvement. BTW, I was able to get two boxes of Hornady 22mag ammo as well.

This was the first time in about 18 months that I've seen ANY rimfire ammo of any type on the shelf. I gave up even looking at Walmart months ago. They're still struggling to get common centerfire calibers.
Old August 8, 2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

We have an ongoing thread for discussing these sorts of issues and observations, which is here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545683

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread