The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
mitranoc

AR15 sling

My S&W VTAC came with a decent VTAC padded sling. I'm definitely open to suggestions for mounting it?
Old September 21, 2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Destructo6

Mount it and don't look back.

Was there an issue regarding the actual mounting the sling or were you wondering if it was any good?

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
shrewd

for a 2 point sling using the swivels that I assume came with the rifle should be fine, though I think having a sling adapter end plate is the
Cats meow. Also good if you run a 2/single point conversion sling (my fav)
Old September 21, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4
LordTio3

It would really help to know what rail setup and stock mounting options you have. A simple picture would do well, or a picture of one similar. Do you have any rail options on the handguard? Front sight base or gas block? Do you have the M4 collapsable stock or another option? All of these things will affect your options.

~LT
Old September 23, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
mitranoc

Destructo6-
Just wondering what the best options were to mount it.

LordTio3,
Here's pics

Old September 23, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
arizona98tj

That really stinks for what appears to be a higher end stock and hand guard don't provide much in the way of attachments points for a sling. You have to wonder what the manufacturer was thinking. Maybe you can get some of a strap with a QD buckle on it...tie it off to the hand guard?

In contrast, my DD Omega 7.0 rail and VLTOR EMOD stock both provide easy QD sling mounting points.

Old September 23, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
mitranoc

arizona98tj,
Anywhere you see slots, I can add rails and mount accessories?
It appears I can mount mine exactly as yours is. The underside of my handguard I used a small rail segment to mount the RVG vertical grip. So all I'll need is a small rail segment with a swivel on it for the side.
Old September 23, 2012, 04:47 PM   #8
arizona98tj

Outstanding....if you can put a small rail segment on, with a QD socket in it, that would work well. I'm quite sure I've seen those available. I've been 100% satisfied with how mine have worked. It's been through multiple training courses (2 & 4 day) and I've never had the AR come off the sling.

Since I wear mine across the front of my body, having the swivels on the side of the AR allows it to lay flat and it doesn't try to flip over. If I were wearing it over my strong side shoulder, I'd have the attachment points on the bottom of the AR like a conventional sling.

Sounds like you have a workable solution!

Edit: Forgot to mention...I use the padded VTAC sling on my FNH SLP shotgun. I use the regular VTAC sling on my M&P15, as can be seen in the above photo. I really like the sling. The ability to adjust it one handed, while moving (if necessary), is great.
Old September 23, 2012, 05:29 PM   #9
mitranoc

Cool, thanks for the info! I checked out Kyle Lamb's demo video for the VTAC sling...it's really slick.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Mobuck

Mount it right next to the kitchen sink or maybe behind the fridge.
Really, it's a sling-half of mine are tied on where they work best with paracord.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
LordTio3

I'm not a big QD junkie, so mine are usually just strapped right on. If it were mine, I'd lace my sling through that sling loop at the back of your stock and through a couple of those slots up front on the handguard. It's hard to mess up a sling.

~LT
Old September 24, 2012, 10:57 PM   #12
arizona98tj

Quote:
Really, it's a sling-half of mine are tied on where they work best with paracord.
Had a guy in one of my training classes do that....I believe it was with a shotgun. Part way through the course, he was picking his off of the ground. Paracord failed....couldn't handle the heat. Just sayin'......
Old September 25, 2012, 12:30 AM   #13
Ridge_Runner_5

You can get QD sockets to mount to the stock where those little holes are behind the cutout.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG335/188

And this guy should mount directly to the slots on your handguard:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...tics-inc-vtac/
Old September 26, 2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Mobuck

I had all of the high volume fire "classes " I wanted when Uncle Sam was buying the guns and ammo. Sounds like the wanna be Rambos get their rifles pretty hot.
My uses involve 1-5 shots at a coyote so I don't worry about a hot barrel melting my paracord sling mount.