The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1
whiteRihno

Suggestions for a duck hunting shotgun?

I am looking for a new shotgun to take duck hunting. I had a Remington 1100 , but it has seen better days...my cousin just got a Super Black Eagle, but I dont know if I want to spend that kind of money.

I am looking to stay under $1200...suggestions?
Old September 17, 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Scrumbag

If you're willing to go pump rather than semi, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Benelli Supernova.

Best pump I've ever handled: lock's up like a bank vault. Comfortech helps with the heavier, punchier loads. Doesn't seem to mind being dunked. Easy to clean out. Eats everything I've ever fed it including some seriously old and ropey ammo.

Expect it to last for years.

Whatever you choose, happy hunting!

ATB,

Scrummy
Old September 17, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
KnightofCydonia

Mossberg 500 because it's reliable, durable, comes with everything you need to do all forms of shooting, and isn't so pretty or expensive that you'll feel bad scratching, dropping, denting it.

Now, 870's, Nova's, BPS are great shotguns, but I wouldn't want to ruin the nice blueing on a Wingmaster or BPS or dent the nice gloss walnut. I save those ones for the clay sports.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:57 AM   #4
ahanson0812

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteRihno View Post
I am looking for a new shotgun to take duck hunting. I had a Remington 1100 , but it has seen better days...my cousin just got a Super Black Eagle, but I dont know if I want to spend that kind of money.

I am looking to stay under $1200...suggestions?
Remington versamax.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old September 17, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5
jmr40

Any of the Mossberg, Browning, Remington or Benelli pumps will work and you can get 2-3 within your budget. I'm partial to Remington.

On a semi for hunting purposes I'm sold on the Benelli M-2 or older M-1's. They are cheaper than the SBE and better guns in my experience. They don't shoot 3.5" shells, but neither would I, so spending extra for a gun that shoots them is a waste for me.

They sell new for right at your $1200 budget, but I see used ones for $700-$800. Both of mine are older M-1's bought used.

The Beretta 3901 is a gas operated gun that would meet your needs and sells for well under $1,000.

I prefer the lighter weight and simplicity of the inertia operated Benelli, but the Beretta is a darn good gun. It is gas operated and the inernals are a bit more complicated and it is heavier. But it will have less recoil.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Scrumbag

Gas Op wise I hear good things about the Browning Maxus, but not having owned one can't comment further.
Old September 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #7
BigJimP

Check out the complete line of guns ...if you want a semi-auto ....from Browning/Winchester, Beretta and Benelli.....there has to be something there you might like ....

Tags
bird hunting , duck hunting , hunting , shotgun