The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Ambishot

IDPA 150 round practice video and Training Question

Hello all,

While perusing through youtube, I stumbled upon IDPAtv's channel and found this training video on practicing speed, reloading, and accuracy drills. I personally found the video pretty informative but was curious as to your thoughts.

The video goes through a number of drills such as the F.A.S.T. drill, Bill drill, draw & fire, Mozambique, 1R2 drills, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJrdATG9-o

On a broader note, what drills do you find effective for combat pistol training?

Thanks,

Ambishot
Old August 15, 2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Slopemeno

I found things like a El-Presidente or Vice Presidente with a small stop plate at the end were good skill builders.

My friends and I came up with a home dry-fire drill that we found to be effective, though it was built more around new USPSA shooters like we were at the time. It was:

Clear and show clear, holster your cleared gun hammer down. Put a 3x5 card on the wall 10' feet away.

Using a timer for the random beep, draw and engage the 3x5 card with a double tap. Since your gun is hammer down you don't have to worry about cocking the hammer. Do a dry-reload and press-press again. Repeat for about 10-15 minutes.

The nice thing about this exercise is that it covers a lot of ground- reaction, draw, front sight, reload, etc.
Old August 15, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
elroyyboy

Thanks. Good stuff. Great to see training info on a training message board. I'm a noob to the board but not to shooting and am happy to find this thread.

Thanks!