The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 28, 2012, 02:56 PM   #51
FrankenMauser

Quote:
By the numbers, 7 doesn't sound like much. But based on experience and a bit of dabbling in sound testing at work, you have to understand that the NRR values are weighted, and based on a broad spectrum sound measurement. These play fair with everyone else by providing a NRR rating. From 20Hz to 20,000Hz, the overall reduction may only be 7, but in the range that matters as pertains to a muzzle blast, they work pretty darn good! I'm not playing favoritism... just think you might be surprised. I was.
Speaking of which...
Where can I find the standards and procedures for establishing the NPR rating?
I was trying to find some information last week, but couldn't find anything online.
Old January 28, 2012, 09:51 PM   #52
HKGuns

No I do not. Half of the game in hunting is hearing what is coming or around you.
Old January 28, 2012, 11:59 PM   #53
WWWJD

Quote:
FrankenMauser: Speaking of which...
Where can I find the standards and procedures for establishing the NPR rating?
I was trying to find some information last week, but couldn't find anything online.
Most of that stuff stays buried in ISO standards; sometimes you can luck into finding copies of this stuff for free online. It does take some digging. One thing that you won't find much of is pertaining to sound quality; I think that generally speaking, a single dB rating across a broad spectrum is pointless. 6dB at 20Hz is nowhere near as noticeable as 6dB at 4kHz, which is right in the middle of our peak sensitivity. A weighting corrects for this, but it still doesn't quite get it right.

Here's some of them:

ISO 1999 (1990). Acoustics – Determination of occupational noise exposure and estimation of noise-induced hearing impairment.

ISO 11904-1 (2002). Acoustics – Determination of sound emission from sound sources placed close to the ear. Part 1: Technique using a microphone in the real ear (MIRE technique).

ISO 4869-1 (1990). Acoustics – Hearing protectors – Part 1: Subjective method for the measurement of sound attenuation.

ISO 4869-2 (1994). Acoustics – Hearing protectors – Part 2: Estimation of effective A-weighted sound pressure levels when hearing protectors are worn.

ISO TR 4869-3 (1989). Acoustics – Hearing protectors – Part 3: Simplified method for the measurement of insertion loss of ear-muff type protectors for quality inspection purposes.

ISO 4869-4 (1998). Acoustics – Hearing protectors – Part 4: Measurement of effective sound pressure levels for level-dependent sound restoration ear-muffs.

ISO/TR 3352 (1974). Acoustics – Assessment of noise with respect to its effect on the intelligibility of speech.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old January 29, 2012, 10:40 AM   #54
Deja vu

I currently do but to be honest I hate it. I all ways get a weird "plugged" feeling when I wear hearing protection. Its kind of like having a bad head cold.

I am looking in to suppressing one of my 45/70s and see if it can be hearing safe.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 29, 2012, 10:55 AM   #55
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I hate it too but I hate it less than the ringing in my ears that I'd REALLY hate if it got any worse. I just wish I'd known better 20 years ago.
Old January 29, 2012, 03:10 PM   #56
RangerHAAF

No, I don't wear them when hunting; one or two shots don't bother me plus there's a bill currently in the GA legislature to allow people to use suppressors/silencers due to hearing loss considerations. The bill passed out of the house committee on Friday and passage in the senate looks good.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old January 31, 2012, 06:48 PM   #57
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerHAAF
No, I don't wear them when hunting; one or two shots don't bother me plus there's a bill currently in the GA legislature to allow people to use suppressors/silencers due to hearing loss considerations. The bill passed out of the house committee on Friday and passage in the senate looks good.
The bill passed today, I'm kind of surprised the GA is in the forefront with this type of thing, but it's great news.

I wonder what this will do to the price of suppressors here in GA, something usable on a .270 or the like has been $800 - $1200 plus the $200 stamp.

It the price comes down to a more reasonable level, I'll certainly have one on my deer rifle.
Old January 31, 2012, 07:50 PM   #58
RangerHAAF

It might create a new industry. From what I've seen it doesn't take a genius to make them.

Plus the Democrats don't really want to pick a fight about this or guns in general.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old February 2, 2012, 02:07 PM   #59
PoorRichRichard

Do I were ear protection while hunting? Depends what I'm hunting. I hunt quail and dove in relatively open canyon areas. I use light Wally World loads (6 to 8s) and I find that a don't need to cover my ears. However, while sitting in the duck blind, if I do not at least plug my left ear (I'm a right-handed shooter) after shooting off heavy 3" loads, I get an instant headache
accompanied by a ringing in my ears. Have yet to hunt deer, but my 30.06 and Mosin's are louder than my shotgun, so I will be protecting my eardrums while shooting these rifles.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:03 AM   #60
"JJ"

Anytime there is a chance I may pull the trigger I have some form of hearing protection.
I guess it doesn't bother me too much because I have to wear them at work 100%.

I also shoot USPSA competitions where it is required.

While hunting I wear the $29 electronic muffs peetzakiller mentioned.
They magnify sounds below 85 db and shut off on any sound above.

Yes, in Summer they can get a bit warm and if they aren't sitting just right they will irritate my ears some after 4 or 5 hours!

BUT...
... after watching my Father, who NEVER wore any type of hearing protection while hunting or working, struggle to hear normal conversation, blast the volume on the TV or ask his Granddaughters "HUH" over and over, I can deal with hearing protection!

I work with a guy who has 95% hearing loss in one ear and 100% in the other! He fights with his hearing aids all the time. His loss was due to injury. But I can prevent my hobby from doing ANY damage to mine.

I choose to wear hearing protection some of the time now so I don't have to wear them all of the time later!!

Tags
ear protection , hunting , noise , ringing