The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 17, 2012, 01:18 PM   #1
JGC

223 Kills -Post Your Pics

So i will be using this for my next hunting trip with 1.5x6 along with some 55 or 60 grain loads, maybe give the 75gr a try as well.
IMG_3223.jpg
DPMS 1:9 16inch 5.56 barrel. Rifle lenth Free Float Rail, Hogue Grip.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1326819682

Last edited by JGC; January 18, 2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: title change
Old January 17, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
rickyrick

Why's it gotta be an AR?

Nice rig though
Old January 17, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
1tfl

What twist rate on that barrel?
Old January 18, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
JGC

Why ar? well its ok if you post your kill anyway iam just curious what ars can/have done to boars since il be using it to get one next month-think of it as a confidence thread, iam building my confidence on it(theres alot of talk of big bullets are needed) but i know what a well placed round can do and ive never felt undergunned with my ar.. just curious for pics and tips.
Planning on right behind the ear, but what if i hit him dead between the eyes? i know my m855's would penetrate but cant use those what if hes at an angle and a shoulder shot is there? will it go thru and hit those vitals or just shatter?

DPMS 1:9 5.56 barrel, so far it shoots everything i feed it extremely well. Shot some of the 62gr m855's (what i use for home defense) and they group very nicely at 100. Loves Hornady and even shoots cheap tulammo and federal with 0 complaints or ftf. So far flawless, i cant say enough about this ar, for the money it rivals many ive shot against at the range and as far as accuracy well to me it comes down to the shooter and so far ive outshot many s&w ar's and a few others think one was a colt. i dont know but i cant see myself buying any other ar brand when this one has more than proven itself to me, and yes ive also dragged it in the woods, cold and hot, night and day and again zero fails! Did a few mods like a extended free floated rail,upgraded grip, but honestly its been a shooter since day one just always looking to optimize stuff-my nature. i met someone and saw pics of 400lb boar killed with a 22 to the head, hes been doing this since he was 11, has to use a 22 for noise reasons-hunts in golf courses to clear them out and there are houses sorrounding the area, hes an older gentlemen and very well known in the area as one of the best hunters, havent seen him in a while but he even uses his bow most of the time so i dont c how a 223 is a undergun..

Tags
223 , ar-15 , hog , hunting