The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 18, 2013, 07:09 PM   #51
mach1.3

In reply to TxDuckhunter, at those ranges a .223 will be rough. 500 yds. is too far to try a shot with an AR15. If you want to zero them out at 700yds. go with a Custon McMillan rifle chambered in .338 Lapua topped off by a pricey Nightforce 6-32x scope. Factor in some nice Steiner or Zeiss Rangefinder binocs. You could buy 2 setups for $20K(maybe).
Old February 20, 2013, 03:29 AM   #52
BuckRub

223 or 22-250.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:45 AM   #53
4runnerman

Mach1.3--- 500 yards is not beyond a AR for sure, I like the 338,but what if when your done you want to see what you shot?. Not happening with that rifle,all that's left is a pile of something. Little on the overkill side ,,,,,OK way on the overkill side
Old February 20, 2013, 08:33 PM   #54
Mauser8mm

Savage Arms

Savage makes excellent guns that are accurate and easily capable of taking out targets at long ranges. You can get them cheap, or go for higher end rifles. Here are the calibers I suggest, and you can search specific calibers on Savage's website.

-22 Hornet
-22 WMR
-22-250

The 22 Hornet is an awesome round and shoots over 4000 fps. Look at Savage's bolt actions. It is a varmint round and has a lot of power. I have seen videos of hogs being taken with it.

The .223 is a good round to find in a bolt action, which savage makes. It is capable of 1000 yards with pinpoint accuracy, and is easily capable of taking down a coyote.

The 22 WMR, or 22 Magnum is a good round, but I wouldn't shoot with it over 400 yards, but savage makes bolt action 22 WMRs for as low as $200!! They go up higher in price, but the cheap ones are very accurate especially with a decent scope. While capable of taking down a coyote, shot placement is key because it lacks power compared to the other cartridges I named.

The 22-250 is a good varmint round and Savage makes them at decent prices, and is a very accurate round.

Overall of you are on a budget, definitely go for the .22 Magnum because the rifle is cheap, accurate and the ammo is cheap. Hope I helped and happy hunting!
Old February 20, 2013, 11:26 PM   #55
Scorch

Quote:
The 22 Hornet is an awesome round and shoots over 4000 fps. Look at Savage's bolt actions. It is a varmint round and has a lot of power. I have seen videos of hogs being taken with it.

Really? Do you have a 22 Hornet that shoots at over 4,000 fps? Can I see it? The 22 Hornet I had 30 years ago fired a 40 gr bullet at about 2,500 fps.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:57 PM   #56
L_Killkenny

Quote:
Really? Do you have a 22 Hornet that shoots at over 4,000 fps? Can I see it? The 22 Hornet I had 30 years ago fired a 40 gr bullet at about 2,500 fps.
That's all you have to say about that one? What about these?

Quote:
It is capable of 1000 yards with pinpoint accuracy
Quote:
22 Magnum is a good round, but I wouldn't shoot with it over 400 yards,
Quote:
definitely go for the .22 Magnum
Old February 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #57
militant

I love the .243 for coyotes. I was having issues with them and some wouldn't et close enough for me to take a shot. So I started trapping them. In that case, a .22lr headshot worked all the time. Ammo is getting expensive and wasting it is pointless.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:26 PM   #58
Mavic19

I've taken quite a few coyotes with my Marlin 917v. I just make it a rule to keep my shots around 100 yards or so. I know some folks tend to frown upon using a .17 hmr to hunt anything larger than a ground squirrel, but I've had a very positive experience each time. For shots past 150 yds, I use my Ruger American .243. Shoots flat and puts em down every time.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:15 PM   #59
Strazznah

.243 all the way!!!

people always overlook the .243 but it is probably one of the most versatile cartridges available. Can shoot anything from 50gr all the way to 120gr projectiles in a wide array of choices for each. The .243 is a long range varmint whackin machine
Old February 27, 2013, 05:38 PM   #60
huntinaz

Quote:
Haha, you're 22 Hornet is an entirely different beast than my 22 Hornet

Thinking of the 204 Ruger, perhaps?
Old February 28, 2013, 09:38 PM   #61
Hansam

I hunt just about everything (aside from birds) with an AR of some sort.

When it comes to coyote I use an AR chambered in .223. I had an AR chambered in .204Ruger and that thing was AMAZING on coyote out to 500 yards but I was offered a ridiculous sum of money for it. With that money I was able to buy 2 complete AR rifles (in the current market's prices) as well as a few hundred rounds of Federal American Eagle .223 (I needed more casings anyway).

More often than not when I shoot coyotes they're on the run crossing my field of fire and at least 200 yards away. Yes I have successfully taken them at those distances - in fact my longest hit was well past 400 yards (around 425 according to my range finder - the old kind that you had to dial in the two images till they made one image then look at the dial for the distance) and when I did hit the coyote went down where it was hit. In fact it flipped over upon impact and stayed down. I've got a friend who successfully killed a coyote beyond 500yds (well ok so that's what he told me but I've no reason to not believe him) with his AR chambered in .223 as well.

Having a high cap mag helps a lot when shooting at small targets running full tilt 200+ yards away from you. Sure I know some guys who have taken coyote with bolt actions, shotguns etc. I've even shot a coyote with a Marlin .44mag lever gun and open sights (distance of about 30 yards out of the back window of my buddy's house) and man did that make a mess!

Even in today's market you could build yourself an AR for about $1000. You just have to hunt around a bit for the deals on parts. If you're looking for a built AR rifle you'll have to be willing to spend at least $1500 nowadays. Maybe in the future the prices will drop down to something more like BEFORE the Newtown incident. Back then I could build a whole rifle for $600.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:32 PM   #62
RockyMtnDan

TC Contender in .204 Ruger

I've had success using most of the guns in my arsenal for coyotes with the following results:
.17 Savage - Nice for close work but too light for a large dog much over 75 yards; It's hard to follow a blood trail from a hit 'yote through the brush when grounds frozen but there is not snow to help with the sign.
.270 Winchester - Hand loaded to match volocity with my dear/elk round. Does the job but makes a mess and any range I am capable of shooting accurately, about 250 yards.
30/30 Marlin - The best of the three except shots at 200 yards begin to requrie some hold over which is OK since for the me the challenge and fun is calling them in close rather than the shooting.
When a dedicated coyote gun makes it to the top of my list I'm planning on making it a TC Contender rifle in .204 Ruger. It should be enough for coyotes but hopefully not too heavy to make a major mess of a fox or bob cat. The single shot is because I know myself well enough to realize that if I had an easy backup shot, say from an AR, I wouldn't take as much care with the first shot and would end up with more misses. As I said the challenge for me in coyote hunting is calling them in close. The shooting is a cross between a public service and practice for big game hunting.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:28 AM   #63
Jack O'Conner

I've had very good luck with my Marlin in 22MAG. Scope is Simmons 44MAG featuring 2X to 7X.

Jack

Old March 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #64
4runnerman

My first yote i took was 450 yards with a 223 Savage FVSS as for the AR platform in a 223---Can't beat it for a yote gun. Now i just need to get one

Tags
coyote , hog , hunting , rifle , texas