The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: Which model will suit me best? (See original post for specifics)
Medallion (High Gloss Walnut Stock, Blued Barrel) 1 4.17%
Stalker (Composite Stock, Blued Barrel) 6 25.00%
Hunter (Satin Walnut Stock, Blued Barrel) 13 54.17%
White Gold (High Gloss Walnut Stock, Stainless Barrel) 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 27, 2011, 12:55 AM   #1
El Matadurr

The Browning X-Bolt

So in my previous thread "Flattest Shooting" I was welcomed into this community and got a lot of opinions and useful info on various calibers, their trajectories, bullet impact power, and value-per-shot. A self-considered amateur hunter/target shooter, the thread (along with a little advice from Dad haha) has led me to the rock solid choice of the .270 Winchester caliber meeting most all of my hunting/targeting needs. Next up was to find a gun that chambers it (easy to do there), and although I'm sure there are other great .270 guns out there, I grew up with a Browning A-bolt my Dad had, and I just feel accustomed to the design and feel.

Interestingly though, the introduction of the quasi-new X-bolt model has caught my attention, what with the improved recoil pad, bolt safety system, detachable magazine, and other neat little tweaks. The only thing that has roadblocked a purchase (besides an immediate slight lack of funds, working on solving that problem over the summer with a little part-time money) is the 3 or 4 options Browning offers. There's the medallion (the model my Dad uses, very very pretty high gloss), the hunter (also pretty, satin finish on stock), the stalker (composite stock and blued barrel), and the white gold (completely out of my price range!).

The question I pose to you all, given the fact that I will most likely be using this rifle for the rest of my life, what kind of finish/material would suit me best in the long run? I'm wanting to get really good at target shooting, in effect long-range hunting, so I need something that will take a lot of abuse. I'm not too overly concerned about the "prettiness" of the gun, but more for function. With that in mind I believe the composite "stalker" variation will suit me the best. Thoughts?

***EDIT***So do you all have any ideas where I could find a used .270 Stalker/Hunter X-Bolt besides Gunbroker and GunsAmerica?

Last edited by El Matadurr; March 27, 2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Posing another question
Old March 27, 2011, 05:10 AM   #2
trooper3385

I would go with the Stalker also but in the stainless version. I have 2 stainless stalker A bolts and one in the X bolt. I have quite a few hunting rifles in both synthetic and wood that I switch back and forth in using. My stainless stalkers are usually my go to rifles unless I'm goin to be sitting in a deer blind or high rack. I'm a little paranoid about dinging up my wood stocks.
Old March 27, 2011, 08:12 AM   #3
UpstateGlocker

The synthetic stock on the Brownings is the best I've seen on any rifle. I just like the feel of it, its non-slip, you don't worry about dings. The X-bolt is also a big winner for Browning. They took all the "wish for" items on the A-bolt and put them into the X-bolt. Go with the X-bolt synthetic and you won't look back. I'm a .308 devotee but .270 is none too shabby either. Happy hunting.
Old March 27, 2011, 09:50 AM   #4
sir_n0thing

While I myself am currently shopping for a high-grade wood-stock "beautiful" rifle, and the X-Bolt is among the items I've looked at, I would recommend going synthetic on your first rifle. If this is the rifle you intend to USE most often, both at the range and in the field, you'll get more value out of the synthetic, IMHO. No worries about scratching and denting that beutiful finish, no worries about temperature/humidity/rain/snow/etc effecting accuracy from wood warping or expanding or contracting.

Besides, if you are like most you'll eventually find that one rifle isn't enough, and you can always add a nicer wood stock gun later!
Old March 27, 2011, 10:00 AM   #5
El Matadurr

So in your alls opinion, what makes a stainless barrel better than a blued barrel? Or is it just a matter of taste in aesthetics rather than design?
Old March 27, 2011, 11:17 AM   #6
PainterJohn

It is only natural for each of us to profess the virtues of the gun that we personally like best. I am no exception. I own both an a-bolt and an x-bolt. I like the x-bolt better. I like everything about the gun, it's weight, the stainless, the dura touch stock, the tang safety, the adjustable factory trigger, the composite magazine, etc. The gun "fits" my body physically and my taste personally. I have nothing but praise for the gun. If you shop it, you can find a very reasonable price on any version for what all you are getting for your money. I have wood stocked rifles and I think they hinder my hunting because I am conscious of banging them up, which IS GOING TO HAPPEN IF YOU HUNT WITH THEM. This is the reason folks are recommending the ss/synthetic versions to you. In my view, it is the best way to go. Stainless is much more resistant to rust and synthetic does not expand and contract with humidity. The thought I would throw out to you is to look for a used one. Better value and you may end up with a nicely scoped rifle for the cost of the gun alone if purchased new. I would also throw a wrench into your choice of caliber by suggesting a 7mm-08. The ballisitics are great and the caliber has enough power for anything you will realistically hunt. In addition, the recoil is relatively mild and you may shoot it more because it is not at all uncomfortable to shoot. The more you shoot, the better acquainted you become with your rifle and the more proficient and confidant you become in your shooting abilities. You have made a great decision to purchase an x-bolt and you will not regret it. Alot of bang for the buck! If Browning would wake up and produce an x-bolt in 260 rem, I would be happy to purchase the first one! Sounds like you're figuring it out and this site is a great resource to come back to as you progress. Good luck and stay safe!
Old March 27, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Since you are going to use it for hunting I would go with the stalker or hunter. Because you will end up banging it up and scratching it over time. You might cringe a bit more if you booger up the cosmetics of the el primo model. Also if you plan on hunting in wet weather I would highly recommend the synthetic stock model. Moisture can wreak havoc on a nice wood stock. I personaly love wood stocks but live in western wa where it rains a lot so my main hunting rifle is stocked with ugly black composite. Thats just my 2 cents though. Make sure and pick something that is appealing to you. Thats more important because you will end up keeping it and taking good care of it.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:07 PM   #8
PainterJohn

FWIW-
In addition to the x-bolt models you mentioned, also available is the stainless stalker,stainless hunter and shot show special ss carbon fiber model.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:47 PM   #9
El Matadurr

okay cool, I'll probably go with the stalker then, in a stainless barrel if I can find one. problem is, these guns came out back in 2008, so they still are pretty new. I've been looking around on gunbroker and gunsamerica, and can't really find any used. I may have to shell out some more for a new one if I can't find one this summer! oh well.
Old March 27, 2011, 05:18 PM   #10
jhgreasemonkey

I always check these guys because they tend to have good prices. They have it in stock too. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52611
Old March 27, 2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Rob3
Registration in progress

The Stalker stocks are pretty awesome, but I've got to tell you that other stainless rifles in this price range (Win M70 Rem 700) can be had with Kevlar stocks. Other rifles with plastic stocks, though without the Stalker's excellent rubber coating, are several hundred dollars cheaper.

I only say this to give you options you might want to consider. If the X-Bolt is what you are set on then it is the only rifle you will be happy with. It's certainly a great rifle. I wish you the best of luck in getting the rifle you want.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:16 PM   #12
El Matadurr

@greasemonkey-they're actually the first people I looked at, they do have the best prices on new guns. after it all I'll probably be making a purchase from them because of the lack of used xbolts out there.

@rob3-I agree, there are others out there in the price range that fit the bill equally well. but the fact that I've always grown up with browning and remmington rifles has led me to the x-bolt. it's kind of like how Nikon and Canon users are, each loves their own camera because of how they learned to shoot, and doesn't buy much else just due to familiarity.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Rob3
Registration in progress

Nothing wrong with that. Brownings are great guns and the X-Bolts are beautiful rifles. Hope you get it this summer and have a chance to hunt with it in the fall.
Old March 27, 2011, 08:01 PM   #14
El Matadurr

@rob3- ^_^ thanks, I hope I can scrounge the funds together. I'm hoping this thing will last a lifetime for target shooting and hunting together. definitely getting the stalker blued though because it's cheaper (680 new from Bud's) than all the others, and my Dad has nothing but blued rifles and I see how he takes care of them and how pretty the blued finish looks after all the years he's owned guns.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:48 AM   #15
sir_n0thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post
@rob3- ^_^ thanks, I hope I can scrounge the funds together. I'm hoping this thing will last a lifetime for target shooting and hunting together. definitely getting the stalker blued though because it's cheaper (680 new from Bud's) than all the others, and my Dad has nothing but blued rifles and I see how he takes care of them and how pretty the blued finish looks after all the years he's owned guns.
Yep, stainless is supposed to be easier to care for, but if you take care of your guns blue will do just fine!

Sent via Tapatalk ~Android~
Old August 19, 2011, 10:40 PM   #16
Mr. Marky

I personally own the xbolt micro in .308 and love it. I put a vx2 leupold on it and I have to say it's awesome. Cant go wrong with this gun. Idc what all those Remington guys say haha
Old August 19, 2011, 10:47 PM   #17
Deja vu

If you live in a wet climate the stainless barrel may serve you slightly better.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 19, 2011, 11:32 PM   #18
El Matadurr

gotta love leopolds haha.
And no in Kentucky it's just humid. not really wet, but still. If money allows, stainless is the choice, but on a budget the blued should be fine.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Fusion

So did you ever get one of these?

I personally prefer the Medallion, but not because it's a better rifle or anything, but just because I like the finish on the stock a lot better and I like the engraving on the receiver. If I was going to spend that much, I'd spend the extra and just get the medallion model. After all, since you said you will be using it your entire lifetime it's not that much more if you figure in what it will cost you over your life.

The Hunter is a nice rifle, but I just don't like it nearly as much as the Medallion based on looks.

You also have to consider that the Medallion will also have a higher resale value, so should you ever go to sell it you will probably get more from it.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:03 AM   #20
El Matadurr

not yet, but I believe I have decided to go with the stainless stalker variant. although I do love the looks of the wood stocks, I'm more of a function-over-form kind of guy, and resale value is kind of silly considering I probably wont be getting rid of the guns I get. good tip though, thanks!

Tags
browning .270 , hunting , rifle , target shooting , x-bolt