The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 3, 2011, 12:00 AM   #1
maxman894

Need Handgun Info About Wyoming Elk Hunt

Hello everybody, new to the forums, and not completely sure how to do this, but here goes... My dad, his friend, and myself are going to Wyoming this fall on an elk rifle hunt. I will be using my Remington 700 30-06, definately enough caliber, so that isn't the issue.

My question is, since I am only 15, is it possible/legal for me to carry a handgun as a sidearm, most likely a revolver (.44 mag), for bears and other self defense needs? I would most likely always have my rifle, so this would be mostly a last resort type of thing.

I'm not completely sure about the laws, so I just wanted to check in here first, before I went to the trouble of calling Wyoming Fish and Game.

Thanks Guys.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2
BarryLee

Personally I cannot really assist, but there are some knowledgeable folks on here who probably can. I suspect it may vary based on the ownership of the property you are on for instance is it private property or public land. Are you using a Travel Agent or Guide Service? If so give them a call.

Check the WEB site below for a starting point. Good Luckā€¦

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 3, 2011, 12:41 AM   #3
maxman894

It would be guided, non resident.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Stiofan

Two laws, first is federal, specifically the 1968 Gun Control Act:

Quote:
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess-

(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(3) This subsection does not apply to-

(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile-

(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;

(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile's parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except-

(I) during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II) with respect to ranching or arming activities as described in clause

(i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile's parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;

(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile's possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and

(iv) in accordance with State and local law;

(B) a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a handgun in the line of duty;

(C) a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or

(D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which he juvenile is an invited guest.

So if you are hunting and you have written consent from your parent of guardian, you are ok.

As far as Wyoming, the second law, there is no age limit for open carry in that state according to opencarry.org. See http://www.opencarry.org/wy.html

Have fun on your hunt!
Old July 3, 2011, 12:46 AM   #5
maxman894

Stiofan, thanks so much! That helps me immensely!
Old July 3, 2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

If in doubt, call the Wyoming Department of Game and Fish. I hunt antelope out there and they are very helpful.

Tags
elk , handgun , hunting , revolver , wyoming