The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 13, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
JerryHN

What's the best semi-auto shotgun for hog hunting?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a semi-auto shotgun for hog hunting since they do not allow rifles at the public land where I hunt.

What are your suggestions for the BEST semi-auto shotgun for hog hunting? Price is not a factor. I'm leaning towards the Benelli M4.

Many Thanks,

Jerry
Old January 13, 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
JerryHN

Correction....

Actually, lets keep the price under $2000.
Old January 13, 2011, 12:29 PM   #3
RyeDaddy

I had a Benelli M4 for a while. For hunting pigs I don't think you could do any better. Short barrel so it's handy to carry, and it digested everything I fed it, 3" Brenneke slug loads included. Never a jam, or failure of any kind. Was even accurate with slugs. Chrome lined bore was super easy to clean, and is threaded for chokes if you wanted to tighten up some buckshot. Go for it!

Last edited by RyeDaddy; January 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old January 13, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
vince316

Russian Saiga 12 with a choke set. These things can't be broken, they love dirt and mud and best of all because of the AK design they absorb recoil. I shoot 3 inch magnum buckshot in mine and I swear it kicks like field load.
Old January 16, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Durty

Look into a Beretta Xtrema 2. The 26 inch barrel version would be best for maneuverability. It can take 3 1/2 inch shells and its gas operation recoils less than the inertia driven Benelli. The Beretta Urika is also a good option if you don't need a 3 1/2 inch chamber. I own an Xtrema and it flawlessly feeds everything from 1 1/8 oz target loads to 3 1/2 steel. (I have never shot a 1 oz load through it.) It cycles faster than I can pull the trigger. I have owned it for 10 months and put a couple thousand rounds through it. I have used it for skeet, trap (not a good trap gun for the way I have the stock set), sporting clays, doves, and ducks, and a jackrabbit. It also has the Kick Off option. I don't have it because it makes the LOP too long for me with my heavy duck clothes on. But, I would get it with Kick Off if I was just shooting hogs using heavy loads. Supposedly it absorbs a lot of recoil, making follow up shots quicker and easier.
Old January 16, 2011, 08:29 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
d best of all because of the AK design they absorb recoil
HUH??? ANY gas gun will help spread out a recoil pulse to mitigate the FELT recoil, but only weight of the gun and the mass of the shot load will determine ACTUAL recoil
Old January 16, 2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Tom2

I was just watching Discovery channel about some of those super hogs they got taking over down south in huge numbers. A hog explosion? Looks to me like you might be having to trade up to artillery or African rifles pretty soon. I guess I will not chuckle when one of these guys wanders into a gun shop to look at the elephant guns. Might be hog hunting for the big'uns!
Old January 16, 2011, 09:01 PM   #8
jmortimer

Mossberg 930 - As reliable as any semi-auto shotgun and a fraction of the cost of the Benelli.
Old January 16, 2011, 09:48 PM   #9
RyeDaddy

Quote:
Look into a Beretta Xtrema 2. The 26 inch barrel version would be best for maneuverability. It can take 3 1/2 inch shells and its gas operation recoils less than the inertia driven Benelli.
Just for the sake of information(not to be a know-it-all), I'd like to point out that the M4 is gas operated, it has Benelli's ARGO system unlike the other Benelli "M" models, which are inertia driven.
Old January 16, 2011, 10:28 PM   #10
dalegribble

although i havn't hunted hogs with it i have a tristar viper semi auto. it has a short barrel, holds 6 plus 1, its parked with black synthetic stock. it's what i would use and costs less than $400.
Old January 16, 2011, 10:31 PM   #11
GoOfY-FoOt

Benelli M4 or the new KSG.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:30 AM   #12
phil mcwilliam

Browning A5 is the best semi-auto shotgun for hunting pigs regardless of cost.
Old January 17, 2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Hog Buster

I think the best hog semi-auto around is the Gryllus 8 Triple S (8 Bore Super Swine Shooter). They’re hard to find, but are deadly on Gouger, Snouter, Rooter,Tusker or those of that ilk.

Of course you’ll get many other expert opinions on what to buy from this forum........ On the other hand any semi-auto shotgun will kill hogs, buy the one you like best....... Jodie won't know the difference
Old January 18, 2011, 07:27 AM   #14
SadistAssassin

mossberg 930.......around $600 bucks
Old January 18, 2011, 09:53 AM   #15
vince316

"HUH??? ANY gas gun will help spread out a recoil pulse to mitigate the FELT recoil, but only weight of the gun and the mass of the shot load will determine ACTUAL recoil"

The Saiga 12 has a heavy duty recoil buffer spring and it does reduce felt recoil better than the semi auto civilian shotguns that I have fired. If you haven't actually fired one you may want to reserve judgement until you do...just a thought.
Old January 18, 2011, 01:21 PM   #16
JerryHN

I had it narrowed down to several shotguns but ended up getting the benelli M4. Can't wait to hunt with it.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Signcutter1

Saiga-12 converted is the best shotgun I have owned. Mine has a shock asorbing buttstock and along with the gas operated cycling and heavy duty buffer spring, the recoil is VERY tame. This shotgun laughs off dirt and will munch on any kind of shell you feed it without a burp. Highly reccomend it.

A quality conversion will cost about 1k.

As far as any other semiauto shotgun taming recoil like the saiga.. not gonna happen.. this thing was designed for combat ,ease of target aquisition and and fast multiple shots on a single target. A civilian style semi-auto shotgun's design limits how much recoil can be absorbed.

Last edited by Signcutter1; February 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old February 7, 2011, 09:46 AM   #18
jgcoastie

The Siaga 12 is a civilian shotgun...

Perhaps you meant sporting-type shotgun?

If you're on a budget, the Mossberg 930 is a great shotgun for the money. I preferred it over the Benelli SBE II that my hunting buddy had.

However, since you're budget is $2k... I'd go with a FNH SLP, you can often find them used for around $1k or less. With what's left of your budget, you could buy a lot of ammo...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old February 15, 2011, 06:34 PM   #19
pck823

I took my new M4 hog hunting last weekend on a state WMA but didn't get anything to shoot at. Trying again this weekend but going on a paid/ guided hunt. Can't wait to see how it does with 1-1/8 oz rifled slugs. On paper I can keep 6 slugs on a paperplate from 50 yds offhand with the factory supplied ghost ring sights. Less of a testament to my marksmanship and more so an indicator of what a great gun the M4 is. Great choice!
If I get anything this weekend I promise to post!

Tags
benelli , hog , hunting , shotgun